Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x05 "Light" **SPOILERS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Mantel wrote: »
    Destiny looks like Thor's hammer when seen from above. It at least has the same shape so I'll go with the Asgard had a hand in building the ship with the Ancients or even the other way around.

the destiny is shapped like a few other ships

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/animaniac/xindi-aquatic-cruiser-4views.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Nukem wrote: »
    I know some people like the insights, but never really needed it in SG1 or SGA,so I think its better to leave these things unravel in the story line, rather than the side road.

it was never needed because the characters for the most part were shallow and some were even arrogant

the best episodes of SG1 were when we learned more about Teal'c and other characters

Too much character and drama, not enough fun and action. Still finding it hard to say its a bad show, but unless the pace pics up, I cant see myself sticking with it for the rest of the season.

unfortunately Stargate descended into retarded fun and the action compromised flying around in unbeatable space ships, thats when they lost viewers en masses and ratings sank

this is alot more believable and interesting. here we have people behaving in tough situation as they should do, not the mckay saves the day moments which were ridiculous at times

/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Oh c'mon, ya really didn't expect the nerd to get the hottie over the jock. Haven't ye EVER seen a movie? :)

My theory about the whole Rush knowing/not knowing thing was that he didn't know initially but did suspect once he saw Eli's kino flyby. (He did seem to react to something) however there was no point in saying anything until he was sure. Again, I don't think he's the big bad, just a pr!ck.

As for the regular baddies yet to come: I would imagine that they are going to be quite interesting (that is if they are planning on having a regular multi-season baddie) given the more serious nature of the series. I don't think we'll see anything like the guauld or ori (Thank God). I would imagine that the new bad guys are not so much going to be bad as have an opposing agenda to the crew. I think they'll be quite sympathetic on lots of fronts (Again in keeping with the BSG reboot influence)

Of course, that's just my thoughts as I've kept meself intentionally in the dark about this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

SG1= ST:TNG
    SGA= ST:Voyager
    SGU=ST: DS9?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah, Nobody has made that joke yet.

You might be right, he might have imagined he saw the shields or something/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

I personally don't think Rush knew the ship would survive, but just wanted to put a thought i had regarding the possibility he did want to get rid of those 15 people on the shuttle.
    Rush was not the person who saved the shuttle. It was Eli's mathboy skills that saved the shuttle. Rush was either unable to do the calculations...or he was intentionally stalling so the shuttle wouldn't make it back.

Thoughts on this?
    (feel free to be brutally honest)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I don't think Rush couldn't do the calculations, just Eli did them faster.

I think Rush didn't know about the recharge, but i think he has a belief in Destiny. He some how had faith that he was gonna survive which would be a bit a alien emotion for a man of science like himself.

I think he let his guard down when he thought he might die, and he was happy that he was going to. Once the situation was over he realized people where warming to him his guard went back up and he became his arse hole self again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thought this was a great episode, but would like to see them start using the Stargate a bit more.

I don't think Rush couldn't do the calculations, just Eli did them faster.

I think Rush didn't know about the recharge, but i think he has a belief in Destiny. He some how had faith that he was gonna survive which would be a bit a alien emotion for a man of science like himself.

I think he let his guard down when he thought he might die, and he was happy that he was going to. Once the situation was over he realized people where warming to him his guard went back up and he became his arse hole self again.

I completely agree with Rush having absolute faith in Destiny, but you must admit, he hates that he has to share Destiny with some of those people. ESPECIALLY the military. He may think that they have no right to be on the ship because it is his life work. This may be why he(in speculation) wanted rid of those people.

Gareth-W-A wrote: »
    I personally don't think Rush knew the ship would survive, but just wanted to put a thought i had regarding the possibility he did want to get rid of those 15 people on the shuttle.
    Rush was not the person who saved the shuttle. It was Eli's mathboy skills that saved the shuttle. Rush was either unable to do the calculations...or he was intentionally stalling so the shuttle wouldn't make it back.

Thoughts on this?
    (feel free to be brutally honest)

You must think Rush is Lord Zedd or something.

zedd02a.jpg

I really dont see how anyone could draw the conclusion that Rush is some kind of Sociopath or Megalomaniac.

He was going to do the math himself before Eli insisted he had the math right and they were only going to waste time by re-checking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

Rush is a scientist! Not a plotting megalomaniac!

He might have guessed that the ship MAY recharge, but just in case, split the crew anyway!

Why risk everyones life on a theory?

Overheal wrote: »
    You must think Rush is Lord Zedd or something.

zedd02a.jpg

I really dont see how anyone could draw the conclusion that Rush is some kind of Sociopath or Megalomaniac.

He was going to do the math himself before Eli insisted he had the math right and they were only going to waste time by re-checking it.

But can you honestly say that you think Rush is 'all there' mentally?

His obsession(the Destiny) is affecting his behaviour, and you can't say that his willingness to die onboard the ship by taking his name outta the lottery is healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

His obsession(the Destiny) is affecting his behaviour, and you can't say that his willingness to die onboard the ship by taking his name outta the lottery is healthy.

His willingness to die will be explained in his yet untold back story. If Destiny was distroyed then he had nothing else to live for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

i personaly dont belive Rush is that bad, for the most part it just seems like there could have been good or bad reasons for him doing something but he chooses to not explain himself when they suggest it was a bad thing he was up to. When they suggested to him in he canteen at the end of the episode that he knew destiny would be ok but wanted rid of the 15 it just seems more in line with his character that he wouldnt care what they thought or would be bothered to explain himself.

The only time he jeopardized anyone in relation to Destiny was when he abandoned the Dial to Earth to begin dialing Destiny. And even then that was a Grey decision.
    • The planet's Plutonium rich core was going critical. They could have very well invited disaster feeding back to the SGC. (SG1 4x15 "Chain Reaction") (Yes I've been rewatching everything recently)
    • They could have saved everyone who could reach the Gate on Icarus base
    • They would have also lost the only chance they would ever get at Dialing the 9th chevron
    So 2 for 3 fair reasons, Dialing the 9th Chevron was the right decision to make, however controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I thought it was ok. Not as good as I was hoping to be honest.

Not once in the episode did I really think that anyone of them wouldn't survive. From the start I felt that destiny would survive, and was a little bit hopefully that those 17 in the shuttle would be gone for, or at least temporarily of the ship.

So far I'm really enjoying the show, but I feel a bit like it's talking up a big dark and gritty show, but at the end of the day its still Stargate, and all the main characters will survive at the end of the day.

Maybe I was just expecting a bit too much from this one, but never once did I think "Oh now, they're all going to die" and that took something away from the ep for me.

There were definitely some positives, Greer was very good, especially when he decked the bald soldier.

Silly Eli fooling himself into thinking he stands a chance. I just hope it doesn't get too love triangle-y.

I know its still early days, and I definitely haven't lost hope, was just expecting a little more this time around.

oh and more Lt. Boobs!

:D
    Volvagia wrote: »
    So far I'm really enjoying the show, but I feel a bit like it's talking up a big dark and gritty show, but at the end of the day its still Stargate, and all the main characters will survive at the end of the day.

I have to agree with you there!
    The only time i ever felt as though things were gonna change in SG was when Daniel died...and they did!...then it went back to normal! :D
    (I don't count Weir leaving SGA because her character was stale and had shown NO development throughout the show.)

That kinda thinking will ruin virtually any show for you. Suspending disbelief helps a little.

That kinda thinking will ruin virtually any show for you. Suspending disbelief helps a little.

You're right there i suppose!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wasnt blown away by this episode, I thought Air was stronger. I predicted the Destiny would collect energy from the sun pretty much immediately (hey, they are completely out of energy and guess what, they are flying towards a big ball of energy!). I must admit its a trick I learnt playing Elite. :)

As for Rush knowing or not knowing... whats he going to say to the people desperate to get on that shuttle?? "Hey, I know I'm the guy who you all think got you into this mess, and who none of you like or trust, but wait, I have this mad idea, based on nothing, that we're all going to be ok. No need to board the perfectly good escape shuttle and head off to what might be Eden. Nope, trust me and stay here, we'll all be fine. Sure havent I seen you guys right so far?? ehhhh?"

He also suggested the slingshot and orders the pilot to turn immediately and head to the planet. Mathboy doesnt come into it until they need the course calcs worked out. So Rush definitely saved them.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

DeVore wrote: »
    I must admit its a trick I learnt playing Elite.

I miss that game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Could they have gated back to Destiny if the slingshot around the planet hadn't worked? Like Destiny knew there was a star there so the gate seeding ships must have passed through that system and sent info back to Destiny a long time ago. Maybe that goldilocks zone planet had been seeded with a gate? They woulda lost the shuttle but still

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

This episode would have been great if I hadn't seen pretty much the same episode in Battlestar Galactica 2 years ago. "Final Cut" and Valley of Darkness

Secondly, I hated the absolutely failed attempt at a "love" story. I swear I could have vomited at Eli and his "crush" and the line 'I've never felt closer to anyone than I have to you in the past few days' made me /facepalm.

Thirdly, who didn't see the sun regenerating the destiny?

What I did like about the episode was the ending, did Rush know about it or didn't he?

Overall, a boring episode. Apart from the pilot I've yet to be impressed by this series. :(

Conor108 wrote: »
    Could they have gated back to Destiny if the slingshot around the planet hadn't worked? Like Destiny knew there was a star there so the gate seeding ships must have passed through that system and sent info back to Destiny a long time ago. Maybe that goldilocks zone planet had been seeded with a gate? They woulda lost the shuttle but still
    It would have popped up on their survey. No gates were mentioned. And Destiny is likely equipped with bitchin' sensors and stellar cartography. It knew where it was going and what it was doing: It did make a perfect, gentle landing on the surface of a star after all, using absolutely no sublight maneuvering.

Whats really going to ruin the episode though for you is
    the ship had dozens of opportunities to recharge. Including when they went planetside to get lime. why wait till it needed these desperate measures?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

It would have popped up on their survey. No gates were mentioned. And Destiny is likely equipped with bitchin' sensors and stellar cartography. It knew where it was going and what it was doing: It did make a perfect, gentle landing on the surface of a star after all, using absolutely no sublight maneuvering.

Whats really going to ruin the episode though for you is
    the ship had dozens of opportunities to recharge. Including when they went planetside to get lime. why wait till it needed these desperate measures?

well it probably considered human life a higher priority than rehcargeing itself, and it also probably needed a sun at a certain stage in its life to get the right kind of energy from it, dont suns have multuple stages throughout there life from sparking into life and exploding out of exisitence,

we all knew the sun was gonna recharge the ship, but no one could predict the ship scopes up sun mass as a power source, most people thought it would recharge itself off the solar radiation, which was not the case,

and also like atlantis at the start, destiny could probably have gone another 60-70 years without recharging if human hadnt suddenly appeared on the ship after 100,000 years,

good episode, i think air part 2-3 have been the best so far, but the last 2 arent far behind, 8/10 for me, bring on some aliens:D

That must have been it, finding a star with the right characteristics, makeup of fissile material, iron, magnesium, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Very enjoyable episode with excellent character development, some of the special effects were a bit of a let down and certain shots of characters in their quarters in almost darkness in spite of the fact they were hovering above the surface of a Star disappointed me.

I really liked the scenes on the shuttle, Rileys birthday etc. and TJ wondering if the people on Destiny were the lucky ones in dying. Also, I thought it was funny that it took a sex scene for me to actually learn that Scott's first name is Matt!

In a weird way I'm hoping that the entire first season contains no other life forms, it would make it so much bigger an event if the crew have been alone for a long time when they first meet some aliens and gives much more scope for interesting storylines too.

I'd also like to say that there are a few users slipping in spoilers for future episodes in these threads which is pretty crap. Can people please not do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I feel for Eil, he always be the guy girls see as brother, never as a lover .

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    This episode would have been great if I hadn't seen pretty much the same episode in Battlestar Galactica 2 years ago. "Final Cut" and Valley of Darkness

Secondly, I hated the absolutely failed attempt at a "love" story. I swear I could have vomited at Eli and his "crush" and the line 'I've never felt closer to anyone than I have to you in the past few days' made me /facepalm.

Thirdly, who didn't see the sun regenerating the destiny?

What I did like about the episode was the ending, did Rush know about it or didn't he?

Overall, a boring episode. Apart from the pilot I've yet to be impressed by this series. :(

Agreed with every said here , i was quite disappointed in this eps you kinda knew from the start the ship would survive and get energy from the sun .

To date the show has yet to really impress me or even give a decent episode i can only hope it gets better .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I really don't think so. ALL of the ships supplies were on the shuttle. Sacrificing the shuttle would mean sacrificing themselves.

I do think that Rush had a suspicion that the ship would somehow survive, but had no idea how, so couldn't give false hope to the others by suggesting that everything would "somehow" be OK.

The love story arc was the same old crap, rehashed once again. They should just leave that to the side, no one cares. The Lt with the big boobs could probably teach Eli a thing or two anyway. He should concentrate his efforts there.

Pretty decent episode, but you just knew the ship would survive somehow, and that everything would continue as before. I thought that maybe someone else would die, or get stranded, but no. That would have saved the episode from being average.

Advertisement