Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post WOW MMORPG

Options
  • 24-10-2009 3:27am
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

So here's my experience with MMOs.

Bought Guild Wars, hated it.

On recommendation of a friend I bought WOW.
    Absolutely loved my first character - a night elf rogue.
    Got her to lvl 60 - then came the end game raiding - hated it. Molten Core, AQ20. The people not showing up, the points systems, listening to some English twat on vent, spending 5 hours a night in an instance - awful.

Took a break for a good while, maybe 18 months, then started a BE Mage.(my rogue was deleted by this time.)

Leveled him to 80, got into the best raiding guild on the server, got incredibly good Naxx25 hc and Uldaur gear(I was off the charts on DPS)
    but my above complaints with raiding held - I was in instances for 5 hours just wishing this crap would end.

Started a Draenai Shaman and got him to 45, but just got sick of it.

Haven't played in a month.

Just wondering what the next step would be?
    I'd really love to capture the same magic I got when I was levelling my first character on WoW.

Tried a free trial of LOTR but too similar to WOW imo.
    Have AOC installed and patched but don't know whether to give it a go or not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Ya don't like wasting time or listening to gobshítes on ts/vent? And you want to play an mmo? :P

I mean, therein lies the problem. I stopped playing WoW about a year and a half ago now. I stopped because of RL 'drama' which meant I couldn't play in the same guild as my ex-gf.

Some time after that I had people asking me to come back because there were no 'sound' officers left. It was full of angry people shouting orders at each other and not being especially friendly.

I don't think the higher echelons of any mmo differ. We were raiding the BT, etc, and quite frankly, it's not really possible to play at that level and for it to be laidback, efficient and fun unless you really find an unreal guild. And I'm talking the likes of the elitist jerks, nihilum or whoever still dominates WoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Try something different. Like SWG, or EvE.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Well its clear here that you need to try a new type of MMO.

Try EvE, UO, Darkfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

darkfall tbh check out the thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

you dont want to try swg.
    its been turned into a piss take wow replica.
    you pretty much have to do the instances in order to do well in pvp.
    unless you know what your doing, and know how to gear yourself in it.

darkfall would probably be good,
    although by the sounds of it, you like questing more than doing much else.

could suggest warhammer,
    theres lots of quests in that.

theres also fallen earth, which is just new out.
    i havent tried it yet,
    i was gona wait till the free trial was out.
    but two people i know are playing it,
    theyve said its alright, but havent gottent he chance to try pvp because of high levels invading the low level area.

tl;dr :
    no to swg

suggesting darkfall, warhammer and fallen earth.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Darkfall isn't available instore, it's just a download, right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

jayteecork wrote: »
    Yup.

I'd recommend you give Eve a try. It's as different from Warcraft as you'll get. Its got a tough learning curve, but its very rewarding if you get in with a good bunch of people. And you can do pretty much anything. You'll have people say its like playing a fancy version of Excel, but i definitely dont agree. Plus having the entire userbase on one server makes things feel suitably epic.

Eve's Learning Curve ;)

2335016192_6003c39c4c.jpg

jayteecork wrote: »

Yeah thats true. Theres talks of it getting boxed soon but nothing official. I'd try eve in the meantime perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

personally I'm sick of mmo's being all the same.

Ill wait a while and try Jumpgate: Evolution if it ever comes out. Hopefully that will bring me something new ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

MMO's tend to = Level up to max level and repeat content over and over to get better gear until next expansion and then do it all over again. This formula has been around from the EQ1 days and I cant see it changing but at least these days there is more choice in the marketplace.

I tend to hit the various MMO's for a month or two max when new content comes out and them move onto the next one in the list so to speak. Does any one just stick to one game these days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

We won't see anything truely different,new or innovative until after windows 7(if the rumours that it's windows last OS are true) and cloud server gaming becomes big. By then I'd say we'll start seeing single server mmos as being the norm,and most of them having much better graphics,animations etc... as people won't need to have powerful computers to play them. I'd also say that'll be when wow's popularity will dimish as the majority of people will then be able to play technically superior games(graphics,animations and that all that jazz).

At the moment thats whats holding back the growth of mmos as a genre,a lot of people simply don't have pcs capable of playing the latest and greates. Take AoC for example. When it launched you needed a pretty beasty pc to run it on full settings.

Until then, Mortal Online is supposed to be launching before the end of the year. Think of it as a mix between Darkfall(without the suck) and Age of Conan(but with content) and of course a lot of inspiration from Ultima Online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Irishdreamer84

I advise you all to check out eq2 it in by far the best mmo still on the market.... the content amount is massive.... you can play solo to max level if you want but raid content is amazing! Free trials are available

I advise you all to check out eq2 it in by far the best mmo still on the market.... the content amount is massive.... you can play solo to max level if you want but raid content is amazing! Free trials are available

I know this is off topic,but....6 posts in over 7 years. Wow.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    You've, what, 830 posts after nearly, what, five years and you're saying that?

I've about 5600 after nearly 10 years - Quality not Quantity! Excluding this post of course, considering it's off-topic.

Lurker.ie

Nah mate I wasn't doing an epeen measuring thingy or anything. I was just suprised at how someone posted just under once a year.

Personally,if Mortal Online doesn't work out for me I'm not going to be playing mmos until the next big 'step' in the genre,something akin to what I posted on the first page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

I hear there is a f2p game called runes of magic which is a good substitute for wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

I am waiting for SWTOR. Maybe it wont be what i am hoping. But SWG was still to this day, The best mmo i ever played. I spent two hard years on that.

I am speaking about the SWG beta to pre SOE raped it.

Also http://www.globalagendagame.com/ looks interesting. But it seems a bit limited.

and http://huxley.ijji.com/

You also have Star Track online and Star Gate.

There is a few good mmos coming out next year.

I have also spent alot of the last 6 year playing WoW :( I kinda want something to come along and blow it out of the water. its not even that good anymore. Not since the good old MC/BWL/NEX days after post TBC is ****

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Personally,if Mortal Online doesn't work out for me I'm not going to be playing mmos until the next big 'step' in the genre,something akin to what I posted on the first page.

Eh.. Would you not go back to Darkfall?

The expansion is out tomorow. Its actually bigger than even I expected from them.

KoKane wrote: »
    Eh.. Would you not go back to Darkfall?

The expansion is out tomorow. Its actually bigger than even I expected from them.

I'll probably end up going back to Darkfall eventually if Mortal ballses up aye. The new 'conquer the seas' patch looks pretty cool,although I'll wait until they have one or two more of these 'expansions' released. I like that they're improving the game at a fairly rapid pace, so I'll see how it goes.

However the one thing really keeping me going back for now is the lack of a skill cap. I don't like that everyone can have everything maxed out. It makes pretty much all characters the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I want something like first month of planetside again.

That game was so much fun when there was mass battles.

Sadly the servers couldn't cope with the huge battles but it was great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Nemesis wrote: »

Plus, when it came out it needed a beast of a machine to run it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

Leprachaun wrote: »

However the one thing really keeping me going back for now is the lack of a skill cap. I don't like that everyone can have everything maxed out. It makes pretty much all characters the same.

The specialization system is actually better than this and the new crafting skills that are been introduced will make a big difference between characters. If your coming back to darkfall just join a pvp focused guild and non one that sits around in their city all day and you will be playing the best mmo on the market right now.

I'd agree though, I'm not fond of everyone getting all crafting skills by now etc.

I've got many too 100 but I'm more tolerant and patient by nature and its been easy for me via amassing a fortune. (not having a job helps :( )

The thing I remember though, is they specificly said that despite not having a hard skill cap, there will be a distinct skill decay system in place.

I would say they will drop that on everyone in a patch or two to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Nemesis wrote: »

Plametside really needs a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

Like others have said I think you need to try a different type of mmo. If you like pvp and fps style combat then it's darkfall, if not then maybe eve has what you want since I believe there's more options in Eve atm for non pvp types.

Advertisement