Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Three getting any new decent handsets?

• 24-10-2009 3:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Are three getting any new decent smart phone type handsets? and if so when? ie the satio, hero, htc hd2, n900 etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

They are getting the hero in ingerland. Maybe here too?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Ive sent Three an email so hopefully i will hear back soon.

I really want a phone thats a lot of fun to use, whereby i can get lots of free apps and games etc for it. That has easily accessable access to facebook, twitter, windows messenger, lastfm etc.

Would also like good music player and web browser with both wi-fi and 3g.

I text a lot so would have to be easy to text with ie a physical keypad or a well implemented touch keypad.

Many years ago i had a Nokia 3650, what a class handset that was. I was able to download so many free apps and games for that it was unreal. Havent had so much fun with a phone since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Satio in November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ive sent Three an email so hopefully i will hear back soon.

I really want a phone thats a lot of fun to use, whereby i can get lots of free apps and games etc for it. That has easily accessable access to facebook, twitter, windows messenger, lastfm etc.

Would also like good music player and web browser with both wi-fi and 3g.

Have you heard of the nokia e71, does all that and more...

nah want an up to date smart phone eg htc hero, n97, n900, palm pre etc etc. not an iphone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

they already have the n97, I think meteor is getting the htc and o2 have an exclusive on the pre and iphone...so satio will probably be the highest end one... xmas range should be out in the next few weeks....

e71 is a lot smarter than you think...i dumped an iphone 3G for it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

N86, the Aino and Satio are coming out in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Any sign of them bringing out the iphone? I love the 3 network fantastic signal

Any sign of them bringing out the iphone? I love the 3 network fantastic signal

Doubt it, well not in the near future anyway, Vodafone have the next agreement/license with Apple to sell it so I wouldn't say Three will be selling the iPhone... at least anytime soon!

i want apps, the more free apps games etc the better. there is no app stote for the aino or satio i believe and the n86 doesnt really appeal. I want a touchscreen phone, but one that has a good touch keyboard or a physical keyboard.

• Advertisement

@ Genetic - Sony Ericsson has a PlayNow Arena... Thats their app store.

http://www.playnow-arena.com/playnow5-web/index

Looking at phones i like the N97 would be perfect as it has a physical keypad, massive internal memory plus sd card slot so could replace my existing mp3 player also, i like that it has a dpad also. My gripes are price, the fact that its just the outdated symbian OS with touchscreen functionality added as a bit of an afterthought, and the screen quality would not match other handsets in the same category.

Now the N900 is soon to be released and the fact it uses the Maemo operating system could be a plus point over the N97 but i dont know that much about this new operating system. Will it improve performance? Will the touchscreen functionality be better than that of the N97? Will there be many apps for it? Would it be as customisable as that of the HTC Hero interface?

Are there any hardware differences between the N97 and N900? is the N900 basically a smaller version of the N97 with different operating system minus the Dpad (Wish they would have kept the Dpad).

Like i said earlier i want access to lots of apps, games etc and would like access to many free ones easily too.

So what is the best choice for me phonewise?

I would like a physical keyboard but if there is not a phone with this that suits my needs i guess a phone like the HTC Hero would be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

i want apps, the more free apps games etc the better. there is no app stote for the aino or satio i believe and the n86 doesnt really appeal. I want a touchscreen phone, but one that has a good touch keyboard or a physical keyboard.

Satio is a symbian phone so ovi store will do. Thousands of apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

flodis79 wrote: »
    Satio is a symbian phone so ovi store will do. Thousands of apps.

Ahem...NO! Ovi is a Nokia product! SE's symbian is NOT compatible! I'm not saying they may not come to some future agreement re future store-sharing, but that isn't even on the horizon! Why would ovi/nokia wanna do that? SE's history is one of fickle-ness... They try wm and ditch it. They play with UIQ and ditch it the moment it gets difficult. Now they want android...
    Nokia's S60 5th apps DO NOT work on the Satio.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

rizzee wrote: »
    Satio in November

I was told end of December by 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

3 UK are getting the iphone soon - not sure if they'll bring it to Ireland too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I was told end of December by 3

Satio will be available from mid November

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Walkman wrote: »
    Satio will be available from mid November

I'll ask again, whos telling you this? No offence intended but all I know is I've qualified my timeline by stating it was 3's upgrade team confirmed late December to me over the phone, so I'd like to know what section of 3 is saying mid November??

Don't get me wrong, I want it to be mid November...actually I feel if its available in the UK, us poor plonks here should have the same release dates...as a programmer I'm amazed how tough it is to write "Oirish" firmware :D (which I then have to go and remove to make the phone work as designed without limitations!!!)

Advertisement