Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would this be allowed?

• 24-10-2009 4:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭

Coming into January I want to hire someone to go around Galway in this costume and to be opening it up:

http://www.thecostumeshop.ie/fancydress-costumes/the-flasher-costume.html

Obviously he wont be going up to kids doing it or the elderly however is there any legal reason he couldnt go and do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'm no legal eagle, but i'd imagine most people would find it crude and tasteless

It may work out at nighttime however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Id steer very clear of it, unless you are opening and running a sex store and even at that it would become a matter for the Gardai on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭DrivingInfo

I think you may have heard some say "good marketing is in the SHOCK affect" and you misunderstood them!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Its only a bit of craic firstly, secondly my market is 18-30 year olds who I think might look at the humorous side of it.

Anyone know if there is anything illegal from a company point of view doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

No idea what the legalities are, but I'm sure there are other outfits out there that would appeal to your target market without offending anyone. You really can't afford to risk writing off any customers given the current market etc.

By the way I'm part of that target market and I've seen much funnier costumes than that ... try and be a bit more original!

• Advertisement

The whole point of it is being UNCOVERED which links into my name of the website, cant think of anything better to be honest! :P Might get on to my solicitor about it.

Shanley wrote: »
    Its only a bit of craic firstly, secondly my market is 18-30 year olds who I think might look at the humorous side of it.

Anyone know if there is anything illegal from a company point of view doing this?

Not sure but if you want to get your name in the paper its a start. lol
    I think it's excellent.

just don't make a b****x of it.:D lol

http://www.buzzmarketing.com/book.html - A great book, well worth a read! ;)

I take it you dont think this costume would be any better then!?

http://www.thecostumeshop.ie/fancydress-costumes/groping-granny-costume.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

How tacky or unoriginal some might try in order to generate awareness? Cheap crap tactics and not funny at all, I hope I never see it in Galway.

A little more cop on please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

I'm 18-30 and I think that is shockingly bad marketing, just plain stupid.

you are putting yourself into a category whereby certain % of 18-30s will think it is funny but the other % will think it is plain stupid/disgusting/offensive/tacky and will avoid you specifically because of this.

No offence, but you need to think harder about this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You'll get more hassle from people than anything. I wouldn't expect that costume to survive if you go out at night wearing it and if you do it during the day you'll be arrested I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Maybe post this in the emergency services forum and ask them:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1023

TBH I think you would get complaints from people about disturbing the peace, offense etc...

You need to define your target market a bit more.

1) Do you want to attract a wide group of 18 - 30 year olds ? What demographics ?

2) Or just total scumbags with no class ?

I'm your target market, and I wouldn't ever go near your place and I can vouch for my mates as well. Girls would be completely offended and wouldn't go to your venue unless they are blind.

At a private party, in a pub or an event it may be seen as a laugh But I can’t see that going down well in a main street anywhere. If it was to shock someone on a TV show like naked camera it may work. Advertising a business! I don’t think so.

Maybe a joke shop and the person wearing it were standing in the window. Then it may work!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Lorelei

As you have no doubt seen most people argue against.
    As a former West Yorkshire Police Officer I would arrest the individual and the courts would decide. It is up to the Gard who sees this costume how he/she reacts. If however a member of the public complains then the Gardai would have to take action.
    Further point if that thing is out at night and frightens a girl, she may have a case to sue privately. If a male in her company decides to act in her defence then it could well be argued that he was reacting to provocation. If the girl or a male hit the costume wearer that could be argued as defence and provocation as well.
    Not a good idea.

Above is how my view would be if I were still serving personally if that character appeared in front of my daughters or any other female I know he would not be in a position to walk easily for a long time and may find himself unable to father children. IT IS FILTH

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bailefionn

At the end of the day, it will probably fall under the 'public indecency' banner. Very definately illegal even though it is just a costume

I mean if you think about it, a similar costume was used in Jackass the movie to provoke negative reactions from people - Definitely don't see it working a promo tool for a nightclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 money24seven

I'm totally surprised there would be a demand for this type of shop in Ireland.

TheEntrepreneur its for a website not a nightclub

Since opening this thread I have sponsorship with more mature bars on my website so unfortunately I can sample this tactic of marketing anymore! :P

Might set up a fake website to see if it works...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

That's very stupid, how are you going to be sure that only 18 -30 year olds are going to see that. It would also be easy for it be mistaken for a real flasher after dark which could really back fire. I dont think I would find that funny if I was on my own or with few people round, a bit creepy to be honest.

Advertisement