Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forza 3 review and comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pukeohontas

i got it last night, and I was a big fan of fm2. I think I like it. I can't see any huge improvements, but I do like the new tracks and I like the new selection of cars so far. My 2 cents.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

one other blatantly obvious thing is the whole VW/audi dominance. the golf gti still dominates the small classes while the S4, S5 and R8 dominate C-A class. then during the loading screen theres a message along the lines of "VW set the standards for quality.....etc.".

Yeah, it was to be expected though, in the interviews that followed up to the release they emphasized that the R8 was going to be the star of the game,
    and that they worked very closely with Audi. These things need funding. ;)

I havent really played with too many F class cars myself so maybe thats where the difference in opinion is coming,
    the other classes are the ones worth focusing on more imo.

But yeah, theres defintiely room for improvement next time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Anyone else find some cars very keen to tip over if they hit a kerb with any kind of speed.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I must preface this post by saying that I love Audi. I have ever since I knew what a car was, mainly due to an old metallic green quattro my dad had when I was a kid.

The S4 and S5 have never struck me as the kind of cars that would compete with similarly priced/specced machines, they put too much emphasis on driver comforts I suppose... but by all accounts the R8 is a beast. In many ways it's a poor mans Gallardo, yet it is faster and generally better received by journalists in terms of ride and handling? I know the Nissan GT-R is cheaper and faster, but I haven't seen how they compare in the game, so there could well be bias. Whoops, just checked and it's not in the game!

I know the Nissan GT-R is cheaper and faster, but I haven't seen how they compare in the game, so there could well be bias. Whoops, just checked and it's not in the game!

Since the guy who heads up development for GT5 also designed the HUD in the R8 and got one for free I would guess the GTR is a GT5 exclusive.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Got Forza 3 today.

Am planning on getting a wheel for it. Is there any wheel out there that will work with the xbox and the ps3?

...don't particularly want to fork out for 2 seperate wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Anyone else hate the New York track, what's with the chicanes ?? The one in Forza 2 was much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Anyone else hate the New York track, what's with the chicanes ?? The one in Forza 2 was much better.

That track variation from Forza 2 is in 3 aswell. It's just that the newer version seems to come up more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

That was the version from forza 1 though i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 monty_mole

I Just got my first XBOX ever with this game in the bundle pack,Sony die hard here (not a fanboy) and GT fanatic.

Never thought i'd get an xbox but after gettin the taste of online racing with GT5p i couldn't wait till next year for GT5.
    So i got this to keep me ticking over.

On a side note whoever said the Xbox was cheaper than the PS3 was havin a laugh.
    Wireless adapter 80euro,Controller battery pack 30euro,optical connection 30euro
    and a set of hearing aids in a few years 1000euro(dam its noisy :P
    Anyway....

Didn't know what to expect of the game,Thought the only game Like this was GT.
    But its a good game Looks amazing,
    Forza has better looking enviroments, GT5p has better car modelling

Forza sounds alot better Than GT5p's hair dryer engines.

I think the handling of the cars in Forza have a bit of arcade feel to em,GT5p's handling's not as forgiving and is more sim orientated i think

Also the feeling of different cars in forza is a bit generic sum cars fell the same,, maybe that will change as i play it more.

The cars feel better under braking in GT5P, Trail braking in GT5p is alot better.

The Livery editor and tuning options are brilliant.
    The Automatching online is Stupid, why couldn't they put lobbies??

But yea its a brilliant game well worth the money.

But not a Gran tourismo beater. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

What really kicks it for me in forza is the sliding ,along with the sound effects. You can almost feel the car bite back into the road.
    This is something that is lacking in GT5p ,gt5 almost feels like driving on ice ,compared to forza.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

To be honest i think Forza s physics are superior to GT5 in every way.

monty_mole wrote: »
    On a side note whoever said the Xbox was cheaper than the PS3 was havin a laugh.
    Wireless adapter 80euro,Controller battery pack 30euro,optical connection 30euro
    and a set of hearing aids in a few years 1000euro(dam its noisy :P

No-one should ever play online with a wireless connection anyway.
    You paid 30 quid? I was going to say something about magic beans but I don't want an infraction. :pac:
    I didn't get an optical connection with either of my PS3s.
    Install the games to the harddrive to cut the noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

amacachi wrote: »

The ps3 always came with an optical connection ,bad thing is the ps3 only outputs to one output.

Can entire games be installed onto the xbox ? ,I got my first a couple of days ago ,I'd like to use the 250Gb if I can:(

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    The ps3 always came with an optical connection ,bad thing is the ps3 only outputs to one output.

Can entire games be installed onto the xbox ? ,I got my first a couple of days ago ,I'd like to use the 250Gb if I can:(

Connection or wire? A tiny proportion of people I know use the optical connection on their PS3s so I don't think all that many people miss it on the XBox, still, an argument for another thread/site.

Yes you can install the game fully onto the Hard Drive. When you turn on the console go to the game and instead of hitting A to play it press Y for options and the install option should be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 monty_mole

No-one should ever play online with a wireless connection anyway.
    You paid 30 quid? I was going to say something about magic beans but I don't want an infraction. :pac:

if you got a good wireless connection doesn't really matter.

Yea the optical connection is 24.99 in game with a hdmi cable as well tho.
    Anyway im not here to bash the xbox :D quite like it actually.
    I just lol'ed when i got 2 duracells with my controller.
    Didn't check any of that before i bought it.

I disagree with forza's physics are better than GT5 comment. They Aren't :)
    Forza isn't as sim heavy as GT.
    Still good tho.

monty_mole wrote: »
    I disagree with forza's physics are better than GT5 comment. They Aren't :)
    Forza isn't as sim heavy as GT.
    Still good tho.

Wheel or controller? Because proper PC Sim players have been lauding FM3 massively.
    Also there's just one thing that sums up my feelings on GT5P's physics, I can set a faster time with Traction Control off than on. I'm not a professional racing driver, in fact I don't even have a driving licence, so make of that what you will.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've played Forza 3 for some hours now and I think it's great.

WRT comparing Forza with GT5, well the latter isn't out yet, the Prologue is just an extended demo IMO, I'd expect there might be differences between the Prologue and the full version, whenever it gets released....

Anyway, Forza 3 is great IMO (and I'd expect GT5 to be great too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

So much to do in this game, I have 51hours drive time and only 41.5% of the career complete. Looks like I might actually pump 100 hours into this game. Never thought I'd top my 70 hours in Burnout Paradise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I have been absolutely loving this. Have found myself gripped to the Career mode and the achievements look to be very progressive (i.e. reward you for the time dedicated to the game rather than going off completing unrealistic challenges). After dedicating a good chunk of an afternoon to the game, I still found myself having less than 1% of the Career Mode completed!

Of course part of the reason why I wasn't really making any headway in the Career Mode was because I was having so much fun playing online. Maybe I've been lucky, but there hasn't been one race where there hasn't been nail-biting tension right down to the end of the races. There's something really satisfying about defending your position against a car that has better straight line speed or forcing the car ahead of you to outbrake themselves and shoot off into the unforgiving gravel.

Unforgiving is something that I've been using to describe many aspects of Forza. I've learnt that you won't do well if you throw your car into corners or take your chances off the racing line. This is a game that rewards those who want to race cleanly yet know when to push themselves and their car to the limits. It's that ever present motivation to go faster and that ever present feeling of disaster being a miniscule throttle adjustment away that makes me love this game!

• Advertisement

Getting to like this game a lot. Fujimi Kaida full length is bloody brilliant even though I'm in a crappy Fiesta. :pac: I have to praise the visual sensation of speed in the game, it's excellent.

Still miss the online of 2 though. :( Also have to admit that overall the game is probably too easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The in-car view is amazing, I can't go back to the Outrun view ever again.This is the first driving game that I tried it on and I'm a far better driver now. On Forza 2 I would usually be miles behind on the online modes, but now I'm getting at least 3rd or 4th each time. It does reward patient racers as has been said and that's a great thing. Those that try to barge their way through the grid or try to to ram you off the road when they get a chance are usually fairly poor drivers in the end.

It's a masterpiece of a game.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Getting to like this game a lot. Fujimi Kaida full length is bloody brilliant even though I'm in a crappy Fiesta. :pac: I have to praise the visual sensation of speed in the game, it's excellent.

Still miss the online of 2 though. :( Also have to admit that overall the game is probably too easy.
    up the difficulty of the drivers (not to be confused with the overall difficulty rating, its a sub setting in there) and you will soon know all about it.

I've got it my over all setting on hard, turned off a few things and upped them to "Hard" and its night bloody impossible to take first.

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Have to say I am really enjoying the hot lapping.

DeVore wrote: »
    up the difficulty of the drivers (not to be confused with the overall difficulty rating, its a sub setting in there) and you will soon know all about it.

I've got it my over all setting on hard, turned off a few things and upped them to "Hard" and its night bloody impossible to take first.

DeV.

Is that the AI level Easy/Medium/Hard? Otherwise where the hell is it? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Is that the AI level Easy/Medium/Hard? Otherwise where the hell is it? :pac:

Yup, that's what DeV is talkin about.

If you're finding the game too easy then either you're a racing god, or you're not playing with the correct assist set-up. If you don't have everything off, aren't playing on 'Hard' AI difficulty and don't have your gears set to manual + clutch... then get adjusting! If you do have everything on the hardest difficulty, then I'd suggest using underpowered cars in races. That's the joy of Forza, you can make it as easy or difficult as you want! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

There is an option for difficulty.
    In here you can turn off ALL assists which i highly recommend.
    You can also set AI difficulty, i recommend hard.
    I wish they had a harder setting tbh as im finding it easy with assists off and on hard AI, thats using a pad, with a wheel id be a lot quicker.

Its a great game and a proper sim for console which is a first imo, [yeah that includes forza2]
    My main flaw is you cant set race distance for quick race.
    Sure you can set up a multiplayer race to your desired settings and add ai cars but its a huge oversight not being able to adjust race distance in the quick race menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As fun as the New York track can be, I really wish they'd remove it from the online rotation. Nobody can race it properly and scenes like below are a given for every race. In this particular occasion all 7 cars ahead me careered into the tyres!
    forzaa.jpg

Yup, that's what DeV is talkin about.

If you're finding the game too easy then either you're a racing god, or you're not playing with the correct assist set-up. If you don't have everything off, aren't playing on 'Hard' AI difficulty and don't have your gears set to manual + clutch... then get adjusting! If you do have everything on the hardest difficulty, then I'd suggest using underpowered cars in races. That's the joy of Forza, you can make it as easy or difficult as you want! :)

I was awful at FM2 tbh, and don't have a driving licence so I doubt I'm a driving God. :pac: Only assist I have on is the auto gearbox, I just hate manual. Suppose I'll give it a go for a bit of a challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I was awful at FM2 tbh, and don't have a driving licence so I doubt I'm a driving God. :pac: Only assist I have on is the auto gearbox, I just hate manual. Suppose I'll give it a go for a bit of a challenge.

You get used to it very quickly. I played FM2 with auto and everything off but I play 3 with the manual and its not a huge leap. I don't use the clutch though as the controller is not easy to use the clutch on.

My brother (who races a track prepared street car) is better than me at this and he thinks 3 is more arcadey compared to 2. I am hesitant to say it though because I'll probably get shouted down with "Forza iz s0 r3al you l00zer"

The braking is vastly improved in 3 with the controller, much easier to brake hard without locking up. Still the stick is holding me back from setting some real competitive times in hot lapping. Hard to drive smoothly with the thing

Advertisement