Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Science GREP at UCC (4-year PhD)?

Options
  • 24-10-2009 8:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭

The above is a 4 year programme, sort of a 2+2 with taught components in the first 2 years. The latter 2 are devoted to writing the 80k word dissertation (which you've been researching for the previous 2 years) The website describes it as :

The PhD (Social Science) is a Graduate Research Education Programme (GREP) i.e. a PhD programme of study that provides a structured social research education environment in which to pursue doctoral studies, involving taught modules in the first two years of the programme, whilst concurrently developing a doctoral dissertation which is then completed over the final two years of the programme.

I can't seem to find any info on what the modules in the first 2 years are, aside from the generic methods & skills ones you'd expect with a regular 3 year PhD programme. The course info describes it as a taught PhD.

Has anyone experience of the course itself and what it entails? The website doesn't seem too helpful and I'm reluctant to waste the programme director's time just yet. My other more general question is, is it likely to be overkill if you already have an MA in your field of interest? The extra year (i.e. 4 instead of 3) makes all the difference for a number of reasons, not least financially!

Advertisement