Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I remove a built in microwave???

Options
  • 24-10-2009 9:49am

I'm hoping someone can please help me out. I need to remove a built in microwave from the unit, and although I kid myself I'm reasonably competent at diy (!) the lack of any visible retaining screws etc and more importantly the lack of the installation manual means I have no idea how to remove it

It's a Whirlpool AMW460, in case anyone has the installation manual. Or maybe someone just knows how to get it out of the unit - it's certainly retained by something! It's not possible to move it towards you at all, although the front does lift by maybe 5mm in the housing

Any ideas gratefully received as this is a rainy bank holiday job that I want to get on with

many thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

If it is anything like my bosch one you need to open the door put your hands in side on the top and lift the microwave up while pushing backwards. Make sure you lift first before move it back. Then you shouls be able to get at the screws holding the surround on. Remove the surround and lift the microwave out.

gorwanvfr wrote: »
    If it is anything like my bosch one you need to open the door put your hands in side on the top and lift the microwave up while pushing backwards. Make sure you lift first before move it back. Then you shouls be able to get at the screws holding the surround on. Remove the surround and lift the microwave out.

Many thanks for the idea, unfortunately that didn't work.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gorwanvfr

any chance of a pic??

gorwanvfr wrote: »
    any chance of a pic??

Tricky thing to photograph..... Micro2.jpg

Micro4.jpg

Micro5.jpg

Micro1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The black fascia that surrounds the oven probably is clipped on or has screws holding it on.
    Once you get that off I woud Imagine it should come out.
    Although in the 5th oval ventilation hole from the right at the bottom there is a hex head screw? Maybe this holds it in place?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I've had a careful look and a very careful prise with a screwdriver and the facia panel is very securely attached - not clipped but might even be stuck to the frame. The little thing that looks like it might be a hex screw is in fact some sort of tiny bore pipe, can't make out what it is but isn't securing the microwave

It'll be something so amazingly easy and obvious..... if only I could suss it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

Thanks, I've had a careful look and a very careful prise with a screwdriver and the facia panel is very securely attached - not clipped but might even be stuck to the frame. The little thing that looks like it might be a hex screw is in fact some sort of tiny bore pipe, can't make out what it is but isn't securing the microwave

It is! If you look closer you'll see that the hole is not round; it takes a small allen key. If you loosen this enough then it will release the microwave. I have the same model and I installed it myself so I'm sure that's how it works. Don't be put off if it doesn't come loose after a few turns. I seem to remember it takes a lot of turns to loosen/tighten but it will release the two prongs that secure it to the cabinet.

tribesman wrote: »
    It is! If you look closer you'll see that the hole is not round; it takes a small allen key. If you loosen this enough then it will release the microwave. I have the same model and I installed it myself so I'm sure that's how it works. Don't be put off if it doesn't come loose after a few turns. I seem to remember it takes a lot of turns to loosen/tighten but it will release the two prongs that secure it to the cabinet.

Well I never, you are (of course!!) totally right and I am a blind eejit :o! My huge thanks to you (and sincere apologies to CJhaughey for not looking as well at the real thing as he looked at the photo)

What a bl**din' brilliant forum - thank you:)

Advertisement