Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poaching Eggs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Old eggs will do that spreading out thing if you try and poach them.
    The fresher the egg the more the white will stay together.
    I have chickens and have observed this as eggs age.
    Factory eggs can be up to 2 weeks old by the time you buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

The cling-film looks good one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Old eggs will do that spreading out thing if you try and poach them.
    The fresher the egg the more the white will stay together.
    I have chickens and have observed this as eggs age.
    Factory eggs can be up to 2 weeks old by the time you buy them.

Agreed. My Mam keeps Hens and, in general, you really can't compare. Fresh hen eggs are so much better!!
    Hootanany wrote: »
    The cling-film looks good one

I've done the cling film one before and actually quite a lot of it sticks to the cling film! I like the one where you drop a small dish into the water. Might try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Im affraid your all wrong.

the easy ist way to poach an egg is

place the egg in its shell in a pan of boiling water for 20 seconds take it out, crack it into a bowl..
    then poor it into a the bowling water
    and it works perfectly !

Id like to thanks the harry bikers for that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i always use the vortex method myself, i find it quite successful..
    the clingfilm one looks appealing but does the egg end up a bit dry?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

The key is to find a method that works for you and stick to it. Mine is two inches of water at a simmer, not a boil. Plenty of vinegar in the water, a pinch of salt, then crack a room-temperature egg (NEVER one straight out of the fridge) into a ladle, then just slip it into the water. Works every time for me.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    The key is to find a method that works for you and stick to it. Mine is two inches of water at a simmer, not a boil. Plenty of vinegar in the water, a pinch of salt, then crack a room-temperature egg (NEVER one straight out of the fridge) into a ladle, then just slip it into the water. Works every time for me.

Will give it a try

Tried the cling film method yesterday and it worked a treat!

Tried the cling film method yesterday and it worked a treat!

Pity the other thing that can be used with Clingfilm is not a 100%:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

Vortex works for me, just make sure the water isnt boiling, bubbles in the bottom of the pan but no mad turbulence.
    Will definitely try the cling film tho.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    Pity the other thing that can be used with Clingfilm is not a 100%:D

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

I love poached eggs! Definitely one of my favourite breakfasts.

I usually just crack an egg into a saucer with a dip/ rim at the base that's just big enough to contain the egg to stop the white sliding around. I then slide the egg off the saucer against the side of a pot of strongly simmering water. I put a bit of salt in the water, and maybe a splash of vinegar. If the water is hot enough it'll cook the egg before it gets all stringy and seperates.

Pop atop a toasted bagel and throw a handful of chives on top...yum!

i would like to take 10 seconds of my origanal time works out a lot better...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

Putting a few teaspoons of white wine vinegar into the poaching water helps the egg stay together better. However don't be tempted to use malt or red wine vinegar as they will stain the egg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I love poached eggs, but can never get them right.

I tried that Cling Film method before, the egg poached alright, but most of the white stuck to the cling flim, also, the white didn'r cover the egg, and I was left with an open egg, and all the yellow spilled everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Now I'm tempted to try buttering some clingfilm and having poached eggs on toast for dinner, instead of cooking what I'd bought for tonight.

Thoie wrote: »
    Now I'm tempted to try buttering some clingfilm and having poached eggs on toast for dinner, instead of cooking what I'd bought for tonight.

I was thinking spray oil might be the way to go but it seemed to work for me no bother without anything

Des wrote: »
    I love poached eggs, but can never get them right.

I tried that Cling Film method before, the egg poached alright, but most of the white stuck to the cling flim, also, the white didn'r cover the egg, and I was left with an open egg, and all the yellow spilled everywhere.

are you useing a big pot or a small pot to cook the egg ?
    I dont wanna sound cavilier bye a dozen eggs and practice :)

Thoie wrote: »

lol is that not frying an egg in cling film ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

are you useing a big pot or a small pot to cook the egg ?
    I dont wanna sound cavilier bye a dozen eggs and practice :)

Poached egg bonanza! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement