Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empty Buildings in Ballinrobe

Options
  • 24-10-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Is it me?? I was just driving back to Galway and we got stuck, creeping for ages through Ballinrobe. We couldn't but notice the amount of empty, dilapidated buildings is huge!! I mean, really remarkable

What's the story?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

It's been like that for years. Some of the buildings were done up during the "celtic tiger" years. But many have been empty for years. and some are recently empty, with the economy taking it's toll. I think the fact that you can get to Castlebar pretty quickly and all it's shopping, along with Galway city not being too far away, doesn't help the town much. It seems like most people who live in or around Ballinrobe work elsewhere, and don't do much of their shopping in the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

It's been like that for years. Some of the buildings were done up during the "celtic tiger" years. But many have been empty for years. and some are recently empty, with the economy taking it's toll. I think the fact that you can get to Castlebar pretty quickly and all it's shopping, along with Galway city not being too far away, doesn't help the town much. It seems like most people who live in or around Ballinrobe work elsewhere, and don't do much of their shopping in the village.

^ Yep, this pretty much sums it all up.

It's amazing that with the amount of buildings that have been vacant since pre "celtic tiger" days, that people thought it would be a good idea to build more and more shop units etc, that have since never been occupied.

With Castlebar and Galway so near, the demand doesn't exist in the town for most businesses to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 monarch

as far as i know ballinrobe is a town,and as run down as it may be i am sure the people of the town would not like to hear it called a village

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

It would be like calling Claremorris and Belmullet villages when they are nothing of the so. Ballinrobe could do with an awful facelift though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Condoms

The petrol station on the castlebar side of town is always busy and that new Tescos , lots of empty dead building though, any one know who J J Hession was, is name is over 2 of the old empty shops.

On the plus side rents/ buildings are cheap so good for entrepenuers who want to set up in business!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

One of the main problems is where they allow the likes of tesco to be set up on the outskirts of the town thus attracting alot of the primary business away from the town centre.
    this has happened for years in the uk and ni and has made ghost towns of the town centres. its poor planning and despite seeing what has happened in the uk and ni they still let it happen here as well.

Advertisement