Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 and server 2003

• 24-10-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

My workplace uses Server 2003 - I'm getting a new laptop myself and would like to be able to also use it at work. Will I have full functionality between Windows 7 and 2003?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

michaelm wrote: »
    My workplace uses Server 2003 - I'm getting a new laptop myself and would like to be able to also use it at work. Will I have full functionality between Windows 7 and 2003?

Ask your administrator.

you allowed put home laptops on the work network :eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you get a standard copy of windows 7 then you won't be able to join the domain (yes it could be setup to see files and such)

so you administrator won't be able to impose restrictions on your system, only if you pay more to get a business version will the admin be able to control your machine and stop you installing (unlicensed) software , viruses

If you need a pc for work , get them to buy it

otherwise they have to expose their network to whatever is on your computer AND there is nothing stopping you robbing all thier files

if all you need is internet there is the option of a 3G dongle (slow) or maybe they couild be nice and set up an access point outsided the firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Thanks for the help - I should have explained my "work" is a school where I teach hence my home laptop is also our work laptops, with all of the issues that brings. I am also the person responsible for IT in the school and do my utmost to protect out systems - up to date anti-virus and spyware software etc but on our limited resources this is a constant struggle. We have limited access to tech support due to serious under funding - 8 yrs now snce the Department of Education provided any money for the purchase of computer equipment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What functionality do you need ?

I'm guessing you don't need active directory policies and stuff like that.

DHCP , FTP , terminal services, web sharing will work with anything

File / print sharing - you may have to give the domain name as well as the user name and password to connect

Advertisement