Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on travelling alone

• 24-10-2009 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi guys, just wondering can any of you who are in the know help or give any advice.I'm considering travelling alone to Oz next August or September. I would be giving up a permanent job to do this but I'm not happy in it and in the area I live. I'm outgoing and friendly so hoping I can make new friends easily.Just have a few questions about it.1) Are there many girls in Australia travelling alone and is it safe? Is it easy to make friends?2) What is the procedure for applying for a visa?3) I am a qualified teacher with 2 yrs experience but would prefer to work at something different for a while, maybe childcare. Are there many jobs in this area?4) Is it better to book flights well in advance or leave it until a week or so before I leave?And last of all, anyone on here have positivie stories of people who went on their own and loved it?Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Australia is very safe crime wise. Nature would be your biggest worry over there. Of course use the same common sense as you would here.

Most of the girls traveling alone that i met over there were from other European countries. I suppose it's that the Irish usually stick together in groups so it's hard to tell.

Well making friends is all going to depend on your personality. You said you are outgoing so it shouldn't be a problem. Usually you'd meet someone in the hostel or through room mates. I just traveled there and found some hostels were hard to meet people. Mainly due to it being a bit of a group destination. It's like some groups have a 'not recruiting new friends' policy. But you'll be grand if you're there long term i reckon.

I got my visa online. For the work one i'm not sure if you can do the same. I know Usit and the likes handle it.

I was there a few months ago and i met a lot of people complaining about lack of jobs in some of the bigger cities on the east coast. Granted i don't know in what areas and how true it is as i wasn't looking for employment.

Australia is a popular route and i imagine the plane would be usually full. So it's probably best to book a bit earlier. Not sure as i didn't fly from Europe.

I was by myself and while i had a good enough time i didn't really like Australia. Too similar to home, lack of culture, expensive compared to where i had been previously, huge groups of brits and a shít load of Irish people. But that's just me. I'm sure people love the place.

Advertisement