Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycotting Cadbury's Roses

Options
  • 24-10-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭

It was bad enough last year when they removed my very very favourite - the Truffle Chunk - but I see now that they've also got rid of the Praline Moment (silver wrapper), Chocolate Bite (pink wrapper) and, while it was never a favourite, the orange crispy one which was at least chocolatey. What's left is a crap collection of gooey and toffee ones with hardly any of the nice kind: the truffles and pralines.

Roses were always my favourite chocolate selection, now they've just lost a fan. Celebrations has taken their place.

Cadbury's Miniature Heroes are still alright, but I shall never forgive them for taking out the nicest one - the Crunchie Bite. Sad sad day.

Cadbury Bastards :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

So that's why they are 5euro a tin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Yeah. Cheap but sh1t :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Didn't they get rid of the Picnics from Miniature heros? And the Topics from Celebrations?
    Heresy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Each Christmas for the last few Christmasses I have had increasing disappointment with Roses. It all started to go downhill when they changed the wrappers. I think this year I will source my festive chocolate gorging from elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Yeah I thought things were different!! and the brazilian toffees are really soft??
    Quality Street used to be our good one till they went and removed the gooey and made them semi hard.
    Just like Milk Tray went down the tubes removing gooey orange, and putting in a COFFEE one... damn them....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

When they got rid of the silver one I knew I was never going to buy Roses again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Pffft roses are amazing, I love all the gooeyness. :D

star-pants wrote: »
    Yeah I thought things were different!! and the brazilian toffees are really soft??
    Quality Street used to be our good one till they went and removed the gooey and made them semi hard.
    Just like Milk Tray went down the tubes removing gooey orange, and putting in a COFFEE one... damn them....
    A coffee sweet is worth a hundred thousand gooey orange ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

moonflower wrote: »
    When they got rid of the silver one I knew I was never going to buy Roses again

Respect for the Praline Moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inkyky

It was bad enough last year when they removed my very very favourite - the Truffle Chunk - but I see now that they've also got rid of the Praline Moment (silver wrapper), Chocolate Bite (pink wrapper) and, while it was never a favourite, the orange crispy one which was at least chocolatey.

I now live abroad but used to love getting a box of Roses (even wrapped you knew what you were getting !!) ... it's obviously been a LONG time since anyone bought me a box though cos I don't recognise any of these colours or descriptions !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Roses definitely changed the strawberry flavour inside the well...chocolate strawberry one!
    Plus I was raged when they made the mini cadbury bar a hell of alot smaller. It use to be a good proper chunk of a thing. Now it's not even worth picking out of the box:mad:
    Stopped buying roses after those things occured.
    Buy big bars of chocolate that I like instead:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My house is a Quality Street house now :mad:

Praline ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Dare I say it?.....

Must......resist.....temptation.............

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

Ugghh we got a tin saturday for the sake of it incase we got any tricker treater brats, due to the rain we didn't we started into it ourselves. Now is it just me or for some reason is the chocolate on the roses manky?? I had 4 sweets out of the tin and felt like I was gonna be sick and the mini dairy milks taste nothing like an actualy dairy milk! They taste like the crappy chocolate you'd get in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Ugghh we got a tin saturday for the sake of it incase we got any tricker treater brats, due to the rain we didn't we started into it ourselves. Now is it just me or for some reason is the chocolate on the roses manky?? I had 4 sweets out of the tin and felt like I was gonna be sick and the mini dairy milks taste nothing like an actualy dairy milk! They taste like the crappy chocolate you'd get in the UK!

i'm a boardsie lurker but couldn't resist replying!
    I'm sooooo glad you posted that, I've gone off roses for ages now bcause of the chocolate, it's dreadful!! I thought I was going mad as my family still love them.
    if they were free, never mind a fiver, i wouldn't eat them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

There's a difference between Irish and UK chocolate??
    I heartily recommend converting to Celebrations, nyom

Namlub wrote: »
    I heartily recommend converting to Celebrations, nyom
    Yup, I've already made the decision that Celebrations is the chocolate selection of choice for me this year - at least they've remained pretty decent! The Topic was taken out but that's always been the least favourite in our house anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah come on - when it comes down to it we're still all goin to be stuffing our faces with them come Christmas!:D I know i will even though i too am annoyed that they took away my precious chocolate bite....sniff...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭JoeFitz89

I wonder why did they change the whole selection of sweets in roses tins?
    Destroyed roses just arent the same now

ellejay wrote: »
    i'm a boardsie lurker but couldn't resist replying!
    I'm sooooo glad you posted that, I've gone off roses for ages now bcause of the chocolate, it's dreadful!! I thought I was going mad as my family still love them.
    if they were free, never mind a fiver, i wouldn't eat them now.

PMSL & I thought I was going mad :D cos everyone else still scoffs em like there is no tomorrow!! It's celebrations for me, Anymore Cadbury's roses I get I shall put in the sling shot and fire at the kids on the garden wall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

people musnt mind the withdrawals because at my place of work the roses sell upto 50% better than the heroes celebrations or quality street tins which are all priced the same at 5.95

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

Yep,They taste crap as they are made in the UK,not like our tasty irish Dairymilk.
    And a side note, the boycott isnt going to well,Cadburys will sell in ireland close to 900k tins of roses this year (not including whats imported from the north).

Yeah I discovered the other day they are the horrible cr**** UK cadbury's........ I actually thought to pick up the tin & look lol Def the last time I let a tin of them into this house!! Rather buy a multi-pack of dairy milks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

It was bad enough last year when they removed my very very favourite - the Truffle Chunk - but I see now that they've also got rid of the Praline Moment (silver wrapper), Chocolate Bite (pink wrapper) and, while it was never a favourite, the orange crispy one which was at least chocolatey. What's left is a crap collection of gooey and toffee ones with hardly any of the nice kind: the truffles and pralines.

Roses were always my favourite chocolate selection, now they've just lost a fan. Celebrations has taken their place.

Cadbury's Miniature Heroes are still alright, but I shall never forgive them for taking out the nicest one - the Crunchie Bite. Sad sad day.

Cadbury Bastards :mad:

NO WAY!!!, Sorry to dramatise, but if you are right then they have hit rock bottom!!. its like coke changing the formula, its simply not the REAL THING!. I won't be boycotting, I just won't be buying. Real shame, the should know the value of their brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

triple-M wrote: »
    people musnt mind the withdrawals because at my place of work the roses sell upto 50% better than the heroes celebrations or quality street tins which are all priced the same at 5.95
    I can't find Quality Street anywhere! I've been looking to buy some but all I can find is mountains of stupid Roses :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

oh dear:D where had the topic gone from the celebrations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Yup, I've already made the decision that Celebrations is the chocolate selection of choice for me this year - at least they've remained pretty decent! The Topic was taken out but that's always been the least favourite in our house anyway :)

Yup another Celebrations convert. The choice in Cadbury heroes is ridiculous now as well.

Advertisement