Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycotting Cadbury's Roses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

phasers wrote: »
    I can't find Quality Street anywhere! I've been looking to buy some but all I can find is mountains of stupid Roses :mad:

Dunnes stores, army of all tins €5.95 ....... not roses lol they seem to have sold out, so they only have "nice" tins left

I just had a thought lol I wonder will this go the papers like the "bulmers pear cider" did lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Im sick of them now too.
    Im not buying roses again.
    They used to be great, but all the nice ones are gone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 LostPigeonCoo

Do they still have the purple one in Roses tin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Do they still have the purple one in Roses tin?
    The hazelnut caramel one? Of course! I imagine that'll never change... it couldn't or there'd be war :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

who the hell likes pralines? they're wrong.

• Advertisement

You're wrong.

no. you're wrong *whacks you on the shoulder* NO RETURN!

Oooh, that told me :(

some people just need telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

It was bad enough last year when they removed my very very favourite - the Truffle Chunk - but I see now that they've also got rid of the Praline Moment (silver wrapper), Chocolate Bite (pink wrapper) and, while it was never a favourite, the orange crispy one which was at least chocolatey. What's left is a crap collection of gooey and toffee ones with hardly any of the nice kind: the truffles and pralines.

Roses were always my favourite chocolate selection, now they've just lost a fan. Celebrations has taken their place.

Cadbury's Miniature Heroes are still alright, but I shall never forgive them for taking out the nicest one - the Crunchie Bite. Sad sad day.

Cadbury Bastards :mad:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    :(:(:(:(:eek:

• Advertisement

Sadly, yes :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

QUALITY ST FTW!!!

I used to love the coffee ones years ago
    It was deadly cuz everyone else hated them

All for me

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Once they removed the bournville from the roses tin the game was up.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Hmmm .... Malteaser celebrations ftw

I used to love the coffee ones years ago
    It was deadly cuz everyone else hated them

All for me
    I know, me too, was great while it lasted :(
    Rob113 wrote: »
    Once they removed the bournville from the roses tin the game was up.
    They're in Miniature Heroes now though! Yums.
    congress3 wrote: »
    Hmmm .... Malteaser celebrations ftw
    Totally! I only wish they had never changed the Celebrations shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Unaware of the changes, I cracked open my first tin of the year at the weekend.

Nice new matt finish to the tin, but it's the contents that matter and that's just a real let down. They just don't taste the same as before and the wrappers are changed. The toffee one also now seems to be more like caramel.

Shame on Cadburys. That's the last tin I'll buy...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

They should bring out a 'Roses retro' version that contains all the sweets from 20 years ago, with the old wrappers and all. I'll bet that would sell far more than these newer versions of 'roses'. It seems that every year, they do something else to ruin this once glorious tin of chocolatey brilliance. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

for all of the reasons mentioned above, i've bought my last tin of roses. the standards have plummeted at speeds to make downhill mountain bikers envious.

from now on i'm going to treat myself something rotten at christmas. the lindt minibar selection. these just arrived into the house about an hour ago and these are the future!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

d4v1d wrote: »
    for all of the reasons mentioned above, i've bought my last tin of roses. the standards have plummeted at speeds to make downhill mountain bikers envious.

from now on i'm going to treat myself something rotten at christmas. the lindt minibar selection. these just arrived into the house about an hour ago and these are the future!!!

Lindt minibar selection??? Link please. Love Lindt stuff, but have never heard of these, where can you get them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

my brother arrived home from the states yesterday and had a box with him. i've been looking online to find out where i can buy these in ireland.

i know for a fact i've seen them for sale in heathrow airport and also on the ferry between roslare and cherbourg. so they are available in europe, it's a case of finding out where the closest supplier is.

as soon as i find out where they can be found online i'll post the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

they took away alot of the selection over the years...but did they add anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

DigiGal wrote: »
    QUALITY ST FTW!!!

Dunno about anyone else but it used to be the case that Quality street were the sweets people didn't like much and roses were the nice ones you got from rich people or people who liked you (oversimplifying things!) Have they changed places or have roses just got **** so quality st seem better?

Dunno about anyone else but it used to be the case that Quality street were the sweets people didn't like much and roses were the nice ones you got from rich people or people who liked you (oversimplifying things!) Have they changed places or have roses just got **** so quality st seem better?

Celebrations people!!

Celebrations people!!
    Yup! And Heroes, while they used to be better, are still decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

My sister got a tin of Celebrations last week and I have officially been converted! They're the official Christmas chocolate in my house now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭PLIIM

I just opened a tin of Roses.
    I thought the tin had been robbed before we bought them. ALL of the nicest sweets are gone.
    Never buying Roses again. Ever.

It's obviously a cost-cutting thing but personally I would prefer if they had kept the older selection and put the price up by 50c / 10% or whatever! It's not like you buy them everyday / every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Glad - in one way - to read that my experience is not the only one. When they started selling the tins at under E6 I was delighted. Had not had Roses for decades.

All the old favourites are gone, including the rose creme.

So next I tried a tin of Quality Street and they are much better.. never thought of Heroes etc as they are new to me.

But in the interest of research... If Super Values still have them at that price..

I also now have a large collection of hard centres needing a home. Love the soft centres and they serm to be few now.

Someone in Canada said they think Roses etc are made in China!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Bring back the 80s' selection I say, the Bournville Square, the Coffee cream, the small plain milk chocolate square, the barrel in all its tin foil goodness and not forgetting the actual Rose sweet in the blue foil.......Happy Christmas days indeed, why do they feel the need to keep on changing them.

There should be some lobby group to get back the good roses sweets, we did it for Wispa why not for Roses :)

Advertisement