Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boycotting Cadbury's Roses

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,448 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They taste like the crappy chocolate you'd get in the UK!
    Well Cadbury's chocolate here and in the UK is manufactured using the same crumb, so there really should be no difference.
    jaybee747 wrote: »
    Yep,They taste crap as they are made in the UK,not like our tasty irish Dairymilk.

'Our tasty Irish DairyMilk' is most likely imported from the UK, as virtually everything made in the Cadbury factory in Coolock is exported....crazy but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

As long as Roses still have the caramel barrels I'll be happy. If the whole tin was caramel barrels, that would be class! :D
    Overall Celebrations are probably the best though.

Celebrations > Roses > Heroes >> Quality Street (ick!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Gutted opening the tin this afternoon...had to find a thread to make sure I wasnt the only one giving out about the Roses! I love the orange and pink crispy ones!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I agree, after eating a load on them. They're rubbish, and really sickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Just open a tin of them this evening and agree that the quality has gone down the tubes. Lots of the old favourites are gone and the one that remain are sickly.

Even the quality of the tin is bad compared to the old ones (I store stuff in the attic in them).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Box of celebrations opened in my house last week - all gone by evening.
    Box of roses opened same day - most of them still sitting there.
    Don't care if they're selling Roses for €1 next year, I won't be buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

This is what Cadburys had to say,

Thank you for contacting us concerning Cadbury's new Roses Assortment.

The new Roses Assortment incorporates a number of changes which aim to improve quality and appeal. Any change to our products is carefully researched to ensure that it appeals to as many people as possible. The decision to make changes is always taken carefully, being based on the results of extensive market research. Although reaction to the current Roses Selection is very positive, we appreciate that a product which is popular with some may not be so with others.

We constantly measure consumer reaction and this is one area in particular which we are monitoring very closely. We have noted your comments and they have been passed to the Marketing Manager concerned. We try very hard to ensure that the changes we make are received favourably and we are naturally concerned and sorry that you were unable to enjoy the new Assortment as we intended. Roses chocolates have changed in style and content almost every year since they were launched and the reaction has usually been very positive.

I would like to apologise if the changes have spoiled your enjoyment of Cadbury's Roses. I do hope that this letter has helped to explain the reasons for the changes.

Regards

Mary

Mary Larkin
    Consumer Services Manager
    Cadbury Ireland
    Malahide Road, Coolock,
    Dublin 5, Ireland
    d +353 1 8668659
    e mary.larkin@cadbury.com www.cadbury.com

Wonder who they researched? Wasn't anyone I know, I've only heard people complaining about Roses.
    Think some new research needed before next christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Wonder who they researched? Wasn't anyone I know, I've only heard people complaining about Roses.
    Think some new research needed before next christmas.
    Most definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

What I want to know is if there is going to be a box of celebrations with just the truffles? mmmmmm. Everytime we open a box I grab every one of them I can find:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭Archeron

We have a box of roses since Christmas and they are still untouched.

Blech.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have to agree with posters here. Roses have gone way down hill. No question about it. I remember them since 15-20 years ago with the glorious mini-Cadbury bars and that was their heyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I won a box of Roses in a scratchcard over Christmas.
    I'll still claim it because free chocolate is free chocolate after all ;), but I'll end up picking out all the icky caramel ones. Bleeeugh!
    I find them very sugary these days, but I suppose I've become used to the dark 70% stuff now.

I used to love the mini Bournevilles and Coffee creams when I was a young 'un. (fadó fadó...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Lo23

Gotta agree with all the posters here...Roses were seriously disappointing this year!

My friend works for Cadbury and she says it was all to reduce costs- apparently it was too expensive to manufacture so they've gotten rid of the more expensive ingredients! They've left the purple ones because Im sure there would be uproar if they got rid!!

Its a sad sad day for us all....Hello Milk Tray I'm back!!!

Lo23 wrote: »
    Gotta agree with all the posters here...Roses were seriously disappointing this year!

My friend works for Cadbury and she says it was all to reduce costs- apparently it was too expensive to manufacture so they've gotten rid of the more expensive ingredients! They've left the purple ones because Im sure there would be uproar if they got rid!!

Its a sad sad day for us all....Hello Milk Tray I'm back!!!

Looks like they've also gotten rid of a lot of their customers for next Christmas.
    I'll be sticking with Celebrations as long as they don't touch the Malteasers one.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Wish I had read this thread two months ago - came home for abroad for Christmas all set for the annual Roses gorgefest. I was actually devastated... How could you so completely ruin a product in one fell swoop? I'd happily pay double for bona fide Roses, not the current imposters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

We had a tin of Roses left over from Christmas, opened them today,
    you know the way they've new wrappers? Like the strawberry & orange gooey ones used to be in foil only but now in new ones?
    Well!! all the orange ones are in the old skool foil, yet all the other sweets are in new wrappers ?? do I have last years oranges or what? (I wonder..)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I had a couple of tins with the old orange wrappers too :eek:

According to my brother they taste fine, the orange in it is way nicer than the new ones.

Hmmm oddness...
    I'll see.. cuz the first one I tried the goo was kinda set rather than goooooey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We had a tin with the orange foil too. They were grand.

• Advertisement

But still odd that they'd have some tins with old wrappers and some tins with new?
    (given that it's only the orange ones?)

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

What a shame they had to go and remove all the good ones out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Fired off an email a few days ago to Ireland.Consumer.Relations@cadbury.com. We should all do something similar so they get the message!

I just got the reply below... no free stuff, I guess those days are long gone. :(
    Cadbury wrote:
    We acknowledge receipt of your e-mail on the above subject and have noted with interest your comments and observations.

The make up of our assortments is constantly being appraised through consumer letters and market research and what we market reflects consumer preference and expectation. In the recent past we substituted changed some of the fillings and have had numerous requests from consumers asking that we reinstate their favourite unit.

We have passed your letter on to our marketing colleagues for consideration in their future plans for Roses.

Thank you for you e-mail and for the custom you have given to Cadbury. Assuring you of our best attention at all times.

Regards
    Mary

Advertisement