Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Javier Zanetti to make history today.

• 24-10-2009 1:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Tongith Javier Zanetti will make history by playing in this 139th consecutive game between Serie A and The Champions League, thats insane, and he still plays like he was 26, not 36!

Even when Maicon came into the inter team and pushed him out of the right full slot they couldn't drop him because he is such a good player and now he is probably their most important midfeilder, at 36, covering 10km per game every game.

Legend.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Seaneh wrote: »
    Tongith Javier Zanetti will make history by playing in this 139th consecutive game between Serie A and The Champions League, thats insane, and he still plays like he was 26, not 36!

I thought this was going to be some age or total appearances related milestone. The fact that it's a consistency/reliability/fitness record he has just set, at his age, is astounding! He is an absolute legend. He was an incredible player when i used to watch Inter regularly years ago. And whenever i see them nowadays he is still going strong. The term 'model professional' hardly does him justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

He's been one of my favourite players in the sport over the last 15 years or so. He genuinely puts others to shame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

He's the new Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

CHD wrote: »
    He's the new Ronaldo
    He's like an old Ryan Giggs.

That's some record, and nice that it'll be a genuinely class player who holds it (I suppose you'd have to be not be dropped in that time but still).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Danye

I always am intrigued that it seems to be Italian players or players playing in italy whos career's carry on into there mid to late 30's and there form dosent dip.

It must have something to do with diet/stretching/fitness routine or a combination of all 3 and the way they live their life away from football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Zanetti was always one of my favourite players in FIFA RTWC 98. Amazing he's still playing at the same level as he was back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It'd be a little bit funny if he got injured in the warm-up though wouldn't it?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

It'd be a little bit funny if he got injured in the warm-up though wouldn't it?:pac:

Yeah.... :rolleyes:

I'd be in stitches laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

There was a fella who used to play for tranmere back in the day who played the 1st game after world war 2 in 1946, played 400 games on the trot and didnt miss a game for 10 years. Cant remember his name, was in a sports quiz i was at years ago.

Zannetti? pfffffffff .....:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

cson wrote: »
    Yeah.... :rolleyes:

I'd be in stitches laughing.

No normal person would be in stitches laughing at something that was a "little bit" funny, I didn't say it'd be hilarious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

and still plays for his country, there are a few premier league players that could take a leaf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Zanetti has been one of my favorite players the last 10 years or so. So consistent and reliable, that's a great record to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

How did he not even get a buildup of yellow cards that caused a suspension or something? Absolutely amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Danye wrote: »
    I always am intrigued that it seems to be Italian players or players playing in italy whos career's carry on into there mid to late 30's and there form dosent dip.

It must have something to do with diet/stretching/fitness routine or a combination of all 3 and the way they live their life away from football.
    That could be big part of it when you consider that Mediterranean people live longer too.

Advertisement