Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting to Oranmore Business Park

Options
  • 24-10-2009 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm considering the possibility of moving to Galway for work, specifically the Oranmore Business Park. Since I don't drive I was wondering if the park is serviced by any bus routes? If not is there any decent acommodation to be rented within reasonable walking distance?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

What would you call reasonable walking distance?

Anywhere in Oranmore would only be about a 20 min walk,
    The nearest would be tudor vale , carrowmoneash or oakfield estate. These would only be about 5min walk, but you'd have to cross a busy dual carriageway.
    Very little chance of getting a bus i would presume

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oranmore Village is serviced by all the Galway-Dublin buses: you could easily live in Galway city and commute to Oranmore, and if you want to go out in town I'd recommend this approach - there are more buses at working times than night-times.

The sticky bit, as the previous poster said, is crossing the dual-carriageway between the business park and the bus-stop (shown on the map on this page ).

There has been some media coverage about how locals have to cross the dual-carriageway (eg mothers with children going to creches) or drive: not sure if anything's planned to be done about it though.

(NB I'm still not 100% certain of the locations of the various business parks in Oranmore ... could be a little out re it's location. But the bus-stop location is correct).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

JustMary wrote: »
    Oranmore Village is serviced by all the Galway-Dublin buses: you could easily live in Galway city and commute to Oranmore, and if you want to go out in town I'd recommend this approach - there are more buses at working times than night-times.

The sticky bit, as the previous poster said, is crossing the dual-carriageway between the business park and the bus-stop (shown on the map on this page ).

There has been some media coverage about how locals have to cross the dual-carriageway (eg mothers with children going to creches) or drive: not sure if anything's planned to be done about it though.

(NB I'm still not 100% certain of the locations of the various business parks in Oranmore ... could be a little out re it's location. But the bus-stop location is correct).

Only thing I would say as an addition to your reply Mary, is that the OP probably find it cheaper by living in Oranmore and be walking distance from work and getting taxis home from nights out in Galway as a bus can be got into town easily enough in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Thanks for the replies folks. This is going to be most helpful.:)
    What would you call reasonable walking distance?

Anywhere in Oranmore would only be about a 20 min walk
    Not a problem since I'm used to doing walks averaging 15 mins.;)

Again thanks for the tips / hints.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Hi all,
    Just an update. Got a few interviews lined up in Oranmore Business Park and was hoping someone might recommend a good hotel / inn which is closeby? Should be staying a few days max (at least until I know whether I got a job or not;)). Also is there any recommend taxi numbers?

Thanks.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Private Joker

The Maldoran Hotel( fomerly Quality Hotel ) is in the Park itself

http://www.maldronhotels.com/hotel-galway/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

091 787787 For Oran Cabs,

As mentioned above Maldron and Oranmore Lodge Hotels are closest, the Coach House and Ramada encore are both in the village centre (still only 20min walk)

Advertisement