Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderlands

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Finished this last night with a couple of mates and we've started on playthrough 2 to get to level 50, and dare I say, its even more fun on the 2nd playthrough! You keep all your stats and the enemies are at your level right from the start. And the experience for missions goes up as well. This game is one of the highlights of the year, easily!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

excellent game.

Just love these games that blind side you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Was hmming and hawing over this, but decided to pick it up on the strength of the comments here.. can't wait to get stuck in! €40 seems like good value by the sounds of it, and from Gamestop which is quite surprising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Not sure whether I love it or hate it, it has so many features I hate in games:
    • Console/Checkpoint type save system (as opposed to Fallout 3's)
    • Respawning enemies and loot everywhere
    • Diablo-style random weapon drops
    • Constantly running backwards and shooting
    • Weird level/damage system if you're too low a level you basically can't scratch an enemy, too high and you one-shot them for no XP
    • crappy limited inventory
    • Story / character progression are definitely backseat
    • Quests are very much collect 10 of these - kill 20 of these

And yet I'm playing it and enjoying it a lot, so that says a lot for "the rest"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Id agree PH 100% I don't know why I'm playing it because there is a lot of stuff I don't like about it but the combat is great so I keep on playing. It's being traded in for MW2 so mite as well keep going till then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

pH wrote: »
    Not sure whether I love it or hate it, it has so many features I hate in games:
    • Console/Checkpoint type save system (as opposed to Fallout 3's)

Funnily enough I found myself relieved that I didn't have to pause and select save every five minutes when I was wandering around outside. I literally went from playing through Fallout 3 for the 4th time to playing Borderlands and it was the one thing that I liked. Fallout 3 is one of my favourite games though. I was expecting this to be like Fallout-lite, but it's a weird mix, it's more like World of Warcraft-lite...with copious amounts of explosions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Is it a purchase or a rental guys? Leaning towards the latter...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Is it a purchase or a rental guys? Leaning towards the latter...

I think its definitely a purchase.

Yup gotta go with a purchase as well. You actually dont know where the time goes when you're playing it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Purchase for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Absolutely a purchase. A week wont do it justice, and it'll take that amount of time to start learning the ins and outs...

Interestingly WOW was the first thing that poped into my head when I got into it too... as ridicuous as that may sound given how at odds with each other the two game genres are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Great game ,would never have bought it ,only for the recommendations here.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

The hut have it for about 35euro delivered. So if you buy it, play it and get a trade in for 30euro for it you wont be loosing much.

Still think its a great game,

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭screw2loose

Amazing game. very glad i took the plunge and made a purchase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Purchase this, it's only €40 in most places!

Amazing game. Not quite as immersing as Fallout 3 imo but it's not far behind. I like walking around talking to people and exploring massive places and Borderlands lacks that a bit (only a bit). What it lacks it easily makes up for with it's awesome co-op mode.

I played until I was level 11 by myself and thought it was great, started again fresh with my housemate and now on level 23ish and it's so much more fun. Never played co-op before but I'm very impressed and will be more likely to buy a game that has co-op in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterboy

Great Game to play, Great graphics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peterboy

Spaco wrote: »
    Just got it in Gamestop on Henry Street for 40 quid. Can't wait to get home and play it.... Damn work

Thats where i went. Hit me up

Borderlands sub-forum tbh mods...

It's basically infinite, in a WoW kind of way levelling/gear/spec'ing way, and popular enough to justify it too imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I think this might be the christmas present to myself, like fallout was last year. i just got WAW last week (yeah i know) so that'll tide me over til then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Great game nearly finished my first playthrough with a soldier and wouldnt mind trying another character, anyone up for getting a group together?
    Gamertag - Nallers

• Advertisement

• Just back from the pub. Watched man utd loose :(
    I wouldn't mind a game now, i'm not working tomoro so wahey will be playing late. Gamertag below!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Finished this last night, great fun, but
    Really abrupt ending i thought

Finished this last night, great fun, but
    Really abrupt ending i thought

Yeah I'd agree, but the story is pretty flimsy throughout. It gets you into the more-fun second playthrough that bit quicker though :P

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Yeah I'd agree, but the story is pretty flimsy throughout. It gets you into the more-fun second playthrough that bit quicker though :P

I suppose! you get anyone to level 50 yet? my guy was only 36 at the end of first playthrough

I suppose! you get anyone to level 50 yet? my guy was only 36 at the end of first playthrough

No not yet, at like level 43 or something. Didn't get to play at all over the weekend, or much at all last week. Will get back into it over the next few days if I can control my impulses and not buy MW2 :P

Nif I can control my impulses and not buy MW2 :P

That'll be tough! it's pretty bloody good! (play on hardened difficulty at least though)

That'll be tough! it's pretty bloody good! (play on hardened difficulty at least though)

Yeah and the fact that everywhere seems to be selling it cheap even though Activision jacked up the price. I was using it being slightly more expensive to justify not buying it :P

Yeah and the fact that everywhere seems to be selling it cheap even though Activision jacked up the price. I was using it being slightly more expensive to justify not buying it :P

It's got a new mode called Special Ops too that looks cool for co-op, hint!

I got to 50 with my hunter today. Long-ass 2nd playthrough it felt like.

Apparently the game starts now, and you're essentially forced to go online, mix it up, and go on a seemingly never-ending quest for better loot and shweet rare orange weapons...

• Advertisement

Yeah got to level 50 with my soldier last week, its long but very rewarding. I think playthrough 2 is better, theres even more enemies!

Advertisement