Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology UCD vs TRINITY ???

Options
  • 24-10-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Trinity's psychology is a 4 year pure psychology degree.
    UCD is a 3 years Bachelor Art's degree, 1st year is only 20 credits and is a general arts course.

Which is better?? I would have assumed Trinity, but I've heard of a few people that UCD is actually better and we have a better approach.
    Of course those people were UCD psychology students so they'd be biased!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

UCD is 3 years, TCD is 4 years. (Unless that has changed)

They're both supposed to be fine. UCD becomes pure Psychology after 1st year AFAIK.

I think the whole UCD thing is better because it seems an awful lot of people dont know what theyre getting themselves into with Psychology and do it because it sounds cool, and if it turns out they dont like it, they could try and drop it and keep up the other two subjects they were doing in 1st year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I'm psychology student in UCD. I faced the same choice as you but I went with UCD for a number of reasons. The first was that I really like UCD's semesterisation and continuous assessment approach, along with UCD horizons which has allowed me to take modules from Neuroscience.
    The second, and possibly most important, was that TCD's degree is an extra year. If you wish to be a clinical psychologist you will find it impossible, or certainly massively difficult, to fully qualify before the age of 30. Average age of acceptance out of LC into a Dclin is apparently about 27/28.
    In either university you will graduate with a BA in Psychology. Postgraduate boards don't discriminate based on where you went, everyone is on the same level provided the degree is accredited. Far more important is your experience and grade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

33% God wrote: »
    I'm psychology student in UCD. I faced the same choice as you but I went with UCD for a number of reasons. The first was that I really like UCD's semesterisation and continuous assessment approach, along with UCD horizons which has allowed me to take modules from Neuroscience.
    The second, and possibly most important, was that TCD's degree is an extra year. If you wish to be a clinical psychologist you will find it impossible, or certainly massively difficult, to fully qualify before the age of 30. Average age of acceptance out of LC into a Dclin is apparently about 27/28.
    In either university you will graduate with a BA in Psychology. Postgraduate boards don't discriminate based on where you went, everyone is on the same level provided the degree is accredited. Far more important is your experience and grade

TCD do seem to have some Neuroscience, well they seem to learn a lot about brains and electrolytes.

Fad wrote: »
    TCD do seem to have some Neuroscience, well they seem to learn a lot about brains and electrolytes.
    Aye, we obviously have some involved in core Psych modules anyway. I'm was just illustrating the advantages of the horizons programme. I can take pharmacology modules or whatever too, or even just take one in something I'm really interested in from music, history, computer science or physiotherapy (there's a cool one of the History of popular music iirc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

The course in IADT is PSI accredited and is 4 years the exact same as trinity, and has the same modules , and is less the points a hidden gem if you ask me the only course outside a university to be PSI

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

Yeah all true! Well believe me I'm all for seeing UCD as the better option as that's the course I'm doing, but seeing as only 2nd year and 3rd year are pure psychology, and Trinity seem to have nearly 2 years, or 1 and a half years more psychology aimed study completed, I can't help but wonder that Trinity must be doing more. Although I hear they focus a lot on case studies. Do we both end up with the same BA in psychology yeah?

Anyway thanks for the replies, I was just worried UCD psychology is second to Trinity psychology, but I'm glad to know it's not the case.

sponge-97 wrote: »
    Yeah all true! Well believe me I'm all for seeing UCD as the better option as that's the course I'm doing, but seeing as only 2nd year and 3rd year are pure psychology, and Trinity seem to have nearly 2 years, or 1 and a half years more psychology aimed study completed, I can't help but wonder that Trinity must be doing more. Although I hear they focus a lot on case studies. Do we both end up with the same BA in psychology yeah?

Anyway thanks for the replies, I was just worried UCD psychology is second to Trinity psychology, but I'm glad to know it's not the case.
    No, UCD just packs more in. We all end up with the same BA degree in psychology. Once your degree is accredited by the PSI it doesn't matter what University it comes from, they are all viewed the same whether from UCD, Trinity, UCC or Griffith.
    Really it's a personal choice which University you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Indecisive93

Hi I got psychology in UCD on my first round offer but six weeks later I have been offered psychology in Trinity which was my initial first choice. Six weeks ago I would have gone to TCD without a doubt but now I am settled in,made friends etc and am unsure about moving. Can anyone offer some advice on what I should do? Running out of ideas and time to decide! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

A friend of mine got into 1st year TCD Psychology last year, and this year has transferred over to 2nd year UCD.
    I would stay put, Indecisive. You've really already settled in and made your friends, and if you transfer you get your degree in 4 years as opposed to 3 - 4 years is enough time for the UCD degree and a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR

ruburd wrote: »
    Interesting predicament..
    I've finnished my studies in psychology two years ago, and graduated from UCD.
    I was in the opposite position to you, in that I started off in TCD. I thought simply since the points were higher it would have to be a better course. It seems silly now looking back to make my decision based on simply points.

I ended up moving to UCD after approximately 2 months in TCD. The reason for the move was basically that when I researched more into job opportunities and the lecturers available in UCD at the time seemed superior to me personally, and I presume most of them are still around.

With that decision, I've never been happier! It gave me an extra year to gain other experience like travelling and volunteering abroad. I also got to intern etc. That kind of thing gives you a real edge on other graduates a year later from TCD.

Best of luck with your decision, I think its clear what my opinion would be - STAY...
    The fact that you "would have assumed Trinity" to be better is just wrong to me, as a graduate of psychology!

What are the employment opportunities from a psych degree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

With regards to employment, it really is imperative to continue with your studies after the B.A. for long term employment in something like clinical psychology.

A lot of people I know, work as special needs assistants, tutors in autism specific schools or care workers. I know a few who have gone into market research.

Research posts can also be useful employment and would count towards experience for a clinical psychology doctorate. Most of these posts are in the UK.

I myself have chosen the further study route on a psychology masters in ucd, while at the same time working as a voluntary researcher and assistant psychologist. This will mean that when I have finished my degree, I am in a better position to apply for a paid doctorate or paid assistant psychologist post. I have however, been offered several paid care work jobs.

I would also agree with the above poster that all the lecturers are EXCELLENT! I cannot stress that enough. The department is so, so supportive and you can literally approach anyone with queries and they will happily have a chat.

Advertisement