Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promising Players who Disappeared

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bosco101

philipm wrote: »
    If he still plays AIL with Landsdowne he must be still promising and it is still a pretty good standard. They have some excellent teams.

Yeah a good standard, not a great one and if he's playing tag on a Tuesday he's obviously not taking it so seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

bosco101 wrote: »
    Yeah a good standard, not a great one and if he's playing tag on a Tuesday he's obviously not taking it so seriously.

whats wrong with keeping fit in the off-season?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

bosco101 wrote: »

mate was in same class as Ross, he was saying that Ross just gave Leinster up because he was constantly getting held back by injury after injury and he just felt it was time to move away from pro rugby and into the "real" world.

With that in mind, sounds like he just plays for Lansdowne for the same reasons we all do. i.e. stay fit and love the game .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

its_phil wrote: »
    Cistercian College Roscrea has its address in Tipperary,but the rugby pitches are located in Offaly and as a recent graduate i take real offence to that.If your gonna insult us please get your facts right.We have also been in this competition for over 100 years so have just as much right to be in it as any other!

It's not really an insult.

Roscrea is in Munster. For the record. Hence many people being curious as to why they've always played in Leinster. An answer you've provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sangre wrote: »
    Michaels is only about 60 years old, a drop in the ocean compared to most of the big rugby schools. I think rock have more SCT victories than Michaels have years in the competition.

And don't forget that Michael's has only been a secondary school for just over 30 years. Before that it was just a primary feeder school for Blackrock.
    He was apparently the best scrum half the country has seen at schools level.

If that's the same guy I'm thinking of, he was massive for a scrum half. Didn't he screw up his knee or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭thundercatho

Ross O'Carroll Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

eoin wrote: »
    And don't forget that Michael's has only been a secondary school for just over 30 years. Before that it was just a primary feeder school for Blackrock.

If that's the same guy I'm thinking of, he was massive for a scrum half. Didn't he screw up his knee or something like that?

Yep he was big he had a few caps and then had to retire. To be honest he was pretty average in those caps as he took a step when he passed- he might have developed into a good international player but was very average in his few caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Luckycharm wrote: »
    Yep he was big he had a few caps and then had to retire. To be honest he was pretty average in those caps as he took a step when he passed- he might have developed into a good international player but was very average in his few caps.

he was also 18 or 19, he would have been a sensational international scrum half had it not been for his injury

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Ciaran Scally. OK he doesn't exactly fit into the category and was yonks ago but he kept Stringer out of all the Irish teams for good reason. Awful waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

As far as I remember Scally had to retire due to knee problems. Something along the lines of no cartilege left in one or both of them and retired on medical grounds.

Shame, had huge potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

That sounds about right Tom. Pity have could been an Irish version of Mike Phillips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Gracelessly Tom

That sounds about right Tom. Pity have could been an Irish version of Mike Phillips.

+1 He was certainly built the same way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

What happened to that winger who played for Leinster 3 or 4 years ago? I cant remember his name, I dont think he came from any private school and was from outside Dublin but he was a bit of a flyer-think he played a couple of games, never first choice, mostly on the left wing..

O'Riordan as been mentioned, I seem to remember a lad called Grissling or something like that at schools levels for Marys who was some player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

clsmooth wrote: »
    What happened to that winger who played for Leinster 3 or 4 years ago? I cant remember his name, I dont think he came from any private school and was from outside Dublin but he was a bit of a flyer-think he played a couple of games, never first choice, mostly on the left wing..

O'Riordan as been mentioned, I seem to remember a lad called Grissling or something like that at schools levels for Marys who was some player

Gary Brown maybe...he was a flyer but retired last year or something like that. Another Rock guy I think, played for the club anyway.

FYI Jackass I believe BOD was a sub in 5th year for the ´96 Dream Team and started in 6th year but his year didn´t win the cup. He wasn´t near the standard and hype of a Luke Fitz or a Rob Kearney when he was a schoolboy.

One lad who dropped of the radar was Dave McAllister from Terenure. He had one of the best boots I´ve ever seen at schools level and duly won Nure a cup in 2001 or maybe it was 2003, I´m not quite sure. He played for Leinster when Ella and Kidney had brief spells there but just never had the all round game and I don´t he saw any game time once Cheika arrived. Probably still banging around with Terenure RFC in the AIL.

themont85 wrote: »
    Gary Brown maybe...he was a flyer but retired last year or something like that. Another Rock guy I think, played for the club anyway.

FYI Jackass I believe BOD was a sub in 5th year for the ´96 Dream Team and started in 6th year but his year didn´t win the cup. He wasn´t near the standard and hype of a Luke Fitz or a Rob Kearney when he was a schoolboy.

One lad who dropped of the radar was Dave McAllister from Terenure. He had one of the best boots I´ve ever seen at schools level and duly won Nure a cup in 2001 or maybe it was 2003, I´m not quite sure. He played for Leinster when Ella and Kidney had brief spells there but just never had the all round game and I don´t he saw any game time once Cheika arrived. Probably still banging around with Terenure RFC in the AIL.

I remember being in Lansdown Road to see the SCT semi final of Rock V Clongowes, BOD at 10 for Rock D'arcy at 15 for Clongowes, Rock dominated the game, entered the last 10 mins a point or 2 behind, they missed a few kicks at goal and last play of the game was a rock scrum in front of the posts, scrum half feeds BOD, he goes for the drop goal and hits the post and it goes out....final whistle, great game

Terenure then beat Clongowes in the final, think David Blaney was captain for them.

Dave McAllister plays for Terenure still in the AIL.

That flying winger could be Grissing who plays AIL with Mary's or maybe that lad Ahern who now plays wing for UL Bohs, AHern is meant to be one of the fastest rugby players this country has had.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdeT

What happened to that winger who played for Leinster 3 or 4 years ago? I cant remember his name, I dont think he came from any private school and was from outside Dublin but he was a bit of a flyer-think he played a couple of games, never first choice, mostly on the left wing..r

Was it Brendan Burke? As far as I know he spent a few years at Bedford Blues in National One in England.

AdeT wrote: »
    Was it Brendan Burke? As far as I know he spent a few years at Bedford Blues in National One in England.

Thats the one! I remember seeing D'Arcy at schools, he was absolutely huge for his age, stature wise, broke lots of tackles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 joesoap25

Vasily Artemiev got signed by Northampton Saints for the coming season. Think he got underestimated at Leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

joesoap25 wrote: »
    Vasily Artemiev got signed by Northampton Saints for the coming season. Think he got underestimated at Leinster

Link?

heard it while watching seven's on Sky Sports not on the internet. Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

heard it while watching seven's on Sky Sports not on the internet. Sorry
    Not quite confirmed yet.

can anyone tell me what happened to John Wickham?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Just saw that Cillian Willis has moved to Connacht after being released from Ulster. Sensational player at schools level but consecutive shoulder injuries and a leg break last year really hit his career hard.

I hope he sticks at it and has some success at Connacht.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/my_club/ulster/8849111.stm

can anyone tell me what happened to John Wickham?

playing AIL with Clontarf, good player at AIL level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

bamboozle wrote: »
    playing AIL with Clontarf, good player at AIL level.

IMO, he will always be too small to prop at a higher level....

Shame. I always thought he had massive talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

shoutman wrote: »
    IMO, he will always be too small to prop at a higher level....

Never stopped Tom Smith ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

He's still a great player at AIL level, but personally, I could never see him making the step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Interesting read. Roger Wilson who is the namesake of Ulster/Northampton No. 8 and went to same school played at senior level in the same position.

Advertisement