Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Examiner

Options
  • 24-10-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I see that the Examiner are now charging to view the bereavements online.

Anything for a buck.:mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There hasn't been a "Cork Examiner" since 1996.

Newspapers have to generate revenue somehow if they're to survive. If you didn't want them to start charging for stuff, you should have clicked more web ads over the years. If you want traditional, professional news gathering and reporting to continue, this is how it has to be.

It should have been like this from the start, I might add. The idiot responsible for ad-supported news on the web should be taken outside and shot for not being able to think more than 5 minutes into the future. A PE sufferer if ever there was.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

It's a terrible broadsheet anyway.

www.rip.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Spudzz

dahamsta wrote: »

Newspapers have to generate revenue somehow if they're to survive. If you didn't want them to start charging for stuff, you should have clicked more web ads over the years. If you want traditional, professional news gathering and reporting to continue, this is how it has to be.

It should have been like this from the start, I might add. The idiot responsible for ad-supported news on the web should be taken outside and shot for not being able to think more than 5 minutes into the future. A PE sufferer if ever there was.

My apologies, THE EXAMINER

"If you didn't want them to start charging for stuff"

Believe you me,they are very expensive for placing a bereavement, or for that matter an ad on there paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

dahamsta wrote: »

But it's not news. It's a pair for advertisement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Spudzz wrote: »

Rly? How much per death? I can see how you might buy a paper in the shop for the bereavements but getting your credit card out to pay online seems an awful lot of hassle. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I don't see a problem - lots of people only buy the paper to make sure they don't miss a death notice. if they can view them fir free online, that's a potential loss of revenue. papers aren't making much money as it is without losing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

The Examiner really is a rag. The Political Editor Shaun Connolly is a joke and would be more at home in the Sunday World tbh. Their political coverage has gone to ****e since Harry McGee left.

Irish Times for the win! It helps that its only 80c in college of course :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

My apologies, THE EXAMINER
    It was The Examiner from 1996 to 2000. It was renamed the Irish Examiner 9 years ago. It's in big print at the top of the front page of the physical paper and the top of every page on the website. I'm not sure you qualify to complain about this in the first place to be honest, your literacy could be called into question.

I would guess - and it is a guess - that death notices are one of the popular areas of the website, particularly for older people. It's certainly the thing my old man complained about the most before they started publishing them online. He moved to Sweden though, and I don't think he'd pay for them either way.

The fact remains, they have to generate money somehow. If they make money out of it, they'll keep doing it; if they don't, they won't. Such is life, and commerce. They're not running a charity.

Oh and the fact that death notices are commercial has no bearing. If you buy a physical newspaper, you're paying to see them. From a publishers PoV, why should the web be any different?

People need to get over this whole "web should be free" business. Web sites cost money to run, they're not magical fairy lands where everything is free. Servers are expensive, bandwidth is expensive, power is obscenely expensive. So are people, and websites need people to run them.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Tazzle wrote: »
    I mainly buy The Examiner for its sports coverage which i find excellent. Also the special study cases that it produces are always a good read. Last week they did a compelling special on suicide. I'd rather buy a Munster or Cork based newspaper anyday over a Dublin one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I always checked the deaths on line first thing in the morning ( when I check my email) & when I pass a shop later in the day I get the examiner. The chances of reading it are slim to nothing during the day , I usullay sit down to read it after dinner at night.
    Now that they are charging to read the deaths , I will have to consider giving up buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I can see why (and support) charging for reading News and Op/ed pieces. I can't understand charging for death notices. Perhaps they should consider charging the estate the extra money to have the option of the notice appearring online.
    I think www.rip.ie do it all for free anyway.

On the Irish Examiner as a whole, I've said before that its a decent paper with a very refreshing non Dublin-centric viewpoint. On the otherhand, it could do with a complete overhaul in terms of its design and pullout sections. The Arena is badly missed. Money and Jobs is gone to the dogs. The feelgood, farming and county do their job. Weekend needs a lift and move to a different format (possibly like the Agenda section with the Sunday Business Post - the printing capability is clearly there).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Docfitz

Looks like the price rises were in vain, they just don't get it.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121110/00584121003/confused-irish-newspaper-editorial-argues-that-search-engines-need-to-pay-newspapers.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Reviving a 3 year old thread.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Tazzle wrote: »

www.rip.ie

I came up with a pretty distasteful song on the beer a few months ago.

Sung to 123.ie add

“RIP dot IE, when your dead you’ll be on me”

Funny or crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I think we've all heard that advertising jingle in our heads murphym7

My personal tagline would be

RIP dot IE - find out when they're planting me....

Advertisement