Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Truvo) Golden pages query

Options
  • 24-10-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

I entered a verbal contract with Truvo during the week and have a question that I cannot ask them now because they are closed until tuesday and it's pissing me off now. Girl on phone asked me to do a verbal contract for an advertisment instead of posting back a signed contract to her. I told her I did not fully read everything on the contract she emailed me but she said it's ok you can make amendments in the future no problem. So anyways I went ahead with it and now I am concerned that I dont want this ad after all. Do I have a period of time that I can pull out of this contract before it is binding? I did not pay them yet so is the contract binding even though they have not recieved my money? I'm regretting this verbal contract and feel the sales person has unfairly talked me into a verbal contract even though I told her I did not read it properly. During the recorded conversation I told her this so it should be on their tapes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

mondeo wrote: »
    I entered a verbal contract with Truvo during the week and have a question that I cannot ask them now because they are closed until tuesday and it's pissing me off now. Girl on phone asked me to do a verbal contract for an advertisment instead of posting back a signed contract to her. I told her I did not fully read everything on the contract she emailed me but she said it's ok you can make amendments in the future no problem. So anyways I went ahead with it and now I am concerned that I dont want this ad after all. Do I have a period of time that I can pull out of this contract before it is binding? I did not pay them yet so is the contract binding even though they have not recieved my money? I'm regretting this verbal contract and feel the sales person has unfairly talked me into a verbal contract even though I told her I did not read it properly. During the recorded conversation I told her this so it should be on their tapes.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
    usually under distance selling you have 7-10days to change your mind before the contract is binding, this applies to tele-sales online sales etc but does exclude certain purchases.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Shopping-from-Home/distance-selling.html

check out this link in particular the cooling off period section

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Not necessarily. The purchaser can't rely on these protections if the purchase was made as part of his/her business. The fact that you didn't read the contract doesn't necessarily mean you aren't bound by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Distance selling, and consumer protection in general, does not apply to a business. Unless there is an equivalent protection for businesses, you have nothing.

You should not have entered a contract without reading it, regardless of what the seller of the service told you. Sellers often lie, in order to trap you in a contract, or make the commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

mondeo - are you operating as a business? If so, let me know, and I'll move this thread to the Entreprenurial and Business Management forum.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭musky

They need a signature, i know someone who used to work there.
    they had great difficulty getting people to send in their signed prooved ad contracts.

From what i have heard, legally a contract requires
    1. An offer (them placing your ad in certain directories)
    2. Acceptance (your signature)
    3. Consideration (your money, or you agreement to pay money ie your signature)
    hope this helps!

• Advertisement

If they have you agreeing on a recording, that is certainly acceptance, especially if they have done the routine where they ask you are you happy to do a verbal contract.

The recording is the evidence of your acceptance. It is as good as and potentially better evidence of acceptance than a signature.

The consideration just has to be agreed. It doesn't have to be paid over for the contract to be valid (otherwise no one would give credit).

Obviously you should consult a solicitor for the fine legal detail on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Truvo Ireland

Mondeo,

Please contact us at marketing@truvo.ie so that we can look into your account details and try to resolve any concerns you have regarding your contract.

Thanks,

Truvo

that's what we like to see. Hurray!

Advertisement