Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav on Ebay?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I've had a brief look at these before, and admit, they do look good value.
    HOWEVER - you are buying a device from Hong Kong, which will be a pain to deal with if anything goes wrong with it. While I cannot comment on this unit, or seller, it is common to find that the software on these units is pirated. Even the OS may not be genuine. It looks like it is using Nav N Go - iGo8 GPS software, and states 2009.06 maps for Ireland. This is actually a decent GPS software and map bundle, but if it's not a genuine install - you won't be able to update the maps.

TBH - I'd go for either a Garmin or TomTom, which are the two biggest players, and are easy to update at a later stage.

Example: Garmin 265W for £140stg from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭netmann

mrmac, thanks for that. I was actually looking at that particulay Garmin on Amazon. Not a bad price either from what I can see around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I may be wrong, but I think the 265W is the entry model Garmin that has bluethooth.

To be completely frank, I had my phone setup with bluethooth, text to speech etc, had the FM transmitter tuned into the car stereo etc. - in fact, I had all the whistles and bells!!!

Complete waste of money! :D

You're going to pay a whole lot of extra money, for gimmicks that you'll never use!
    If you want the "Dummies Guide ...." , then here it is....

Buy either a TomTom or Garmin, make sure it's a widescreen version, i.e. 4.3 across the diagonal, make sure it can take an SD card, make sure it uses a mini usb power supply.
    If you buy a new one, you'll be able to update to the latest maps, for free, within a certain amount of time after first sat lock (important - time is measured from the first time the unit gets a satellite lock, not date of registration!).
    If you buy a used unit, make sure the seller de-registers the unit first, as you will not be able to get it registered in your name until that is done. This can hinder you updating the maps, which you will have to pay for.
    Concentrate on the main features you want for a GPS, like map updates, lane guidance, custom POIs, satellite lock speed, etc.

Which is better, TomTom or Garmin???
    I've used both, and they're both excellent! If I had to nit pick, I'd say that the TomTom is more user friendly, especially with HOME and POIs - BUT - Garmin seem to have slightly better maps, and the unit itself can be "simpler" to use.

The Garmin 265W is a great unit, and won't dissappoint. The 265WT is also available from Pixmania.ie for €182 inc postage. Have a google for it, you may find it cheaper somewhere! The "T" bit stands for Traffic, which is a traffic broadcast transmitted across a radio signal, to an extra receiver that plugs into the sat nav. The receiver costs extra.
    DO NOT be fooled into buying this, it is not available in Ireland, but sale people may try to convince you otherwise!!

Any further questions, just ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

If you want cheap, look at this garmin

https://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=458653

Advertisement