Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 450D...anyone got it?

• 24-10-2009 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

(First post on here! ;) )

Since I've been into photography for a long time I've been considering getting myself a decent camera since all I have is a small €200 point and shoot. Now don't get me wrong, I love my camera but I always want to be experimenting with different techniques.
    I have an account on flickr and I've gotten some very positive feedback from people about my photography.
    I haven't even started college yet and am having difficulties in deciding what career path I want to pursue. But my mind is set on photography most days.

And so I want to get the Canon 450D but I feel Argos have made it ridiculously expensive. In England they sell them much cheaper, for the body and the lenses. I don't feel comfortable buying something so expensive online though and want to actually be able to see it before I buy it. I heard there's a good camera shop in Dublin city centre, does anyone know it? Also, does anyone have any reviews on the 450D? I'd love to hear from you guys.
    Thanks.

Em

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you want gunns camera shop on wexford street.

i can't recommend them enough as they helped me out hugely recently.

i have the 450d, it's a solidly build camera and a nice entry point into DSLR photography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

you want gunns camera shop on wexford street.

i can't recommend them enough as they helped me out hugely recently.

i have the 450d, it's a solidly build camera and a nice entry point into DSLR photography.

The 450D is a wonderful camera. Had one for 18 months. But watch if you buy bulky lenses. They tend to dwarf the camera itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The 450D is a wonderful camera. Had one for 18 months. But watch if you buy bulky lenses. They tend to dwarf the camera itself.
    Yeah, I've a 450D myself and noticed this, however a battery grip really makes a difference.

I love my camera and have plans of buying a lot more glass before I replace it, however if I could change anything about it, it would be the build of the body. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as solid as the xxD or xD bodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Look around the adverts site, there are great bargains to be had there at times
    http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=51
    Good luck,
    John

Rb wrote: »
    Yeah, I've a 450D myself and noticed this, however a battery grip really makes a difference.

I love my camera and have plans of buying a lot more glass before I replace it, however if I could change anything about it, it would be the build of the body. It just doesn't feel anywhere near as solid as the xxD or xD bodies.

having had the two, there is a bit of a difference alright. But to me, it's more the feel 9size) of the body. I had already bought the 17-55 f2.8 lens and it just SWAMPED the 450.

But it was a wonderful camera which always delivered excellent quality. Most of the photos on my Flickr page are shot using it.

OP - have a look at this one:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-eos-450d-digital-slr-camera-body/p1024466?go=kits_bundles&cm_mmc=google%20Warehouse%20Express%20-%20Cameras%20%26%20Lenses-_-Cameras%20/%20Digital%20SLRs-_-Digital%20SLRs%20/%20Canon%20EOS%20450D-_-450d&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=450d&utm_campaign=Cameras%20/%20Digital%20SLRs

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    having had the two, there is a bit of a difference alright. But to me, it's more the feel 9size) of the body. I had already bought the 17-55 f2.8 lens and it just SWAMPED the 450.

But it was a wonderful camera which always delivered excellent quality. Most of the photos on my Flickr page are shot using it.

OP - have a look at this one:

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-eos-450d-digital-slr-camera-body/p1024466?go=kits_bundles&cm_mmc=google%20Warehouse%20Express%20-%20Cameras%20%26%20Lenses-_-Cameras%20/%20Digital%20SLRs-_-Digital%20SLRs%20/%20Canon%20EOS%20450D-_-450d&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=450d&utm_campaign=Cameras%20/%20Digital%20SLRs
    Was that the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8? How do you rate the lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have both the 20D and the 450 D. I prefer the build of the 20D myself but the quality of the 450D is really good;

The 450d can sometimes be uncomfortable to hold for long periods so investing in a battery grip is well recommended.

Best of luck with whatever camera you decide to get

Rb wrote: »
    Was that the EF-S 17-55mm 2.8? How do you rate the lens?

Sorry for the delay in replying. It's really superb. The definition, speed, and sharpness are fantastic. Delighted with it. Also bought that 2nd-hand from a local photographer. Got it for €630.

Here are a few images taken with it:

3939587455_b26c53b0f1.jpg

3980122711_6ca34cfc8d.jpg

3976227135_461674e0e8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

I bought the 450D recently from Pixmania. I am delighted with the camera and am getting to grips with its usage.

I was less than impressed with the Pixmania service however. When the camera arrived, it had four user manuals (French, German, Spanish and Flemish!!!!), but nothing in English. When I made contact with Pixmania they referred me to the "small print" which said that manuals may have to be downloaded.

So I was faced with the scenario of either learing one of the four languages :confused::confused::confused: or having to carry a considerably sized manual printed from my home pc whenever I had my camera out and about :eek:....

This is in my view, a very poor reflection on customer service and the attitude to users of Pixmania. The foreign language manuals are a lovely, small and compact booklet which could easily fit into a pocket or into the camera bag I purchased from Pixmania... the alternative is not so lovely.

If you are buying from Pixmania, just have regard for the fact that you may be faced with a similar situation. I'd be interested if people have had similar experiences from other online services. I also think this reflects badly on Canon, despite the fact that they have odne nothing wrong....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

tried ordering here,

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-eos-450d-with-ef-s-18-55mm-is-lens/p1024467

postage was £35, so I left it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

ADDON wrote: »
    I bought the 450D recently from Pixmania. I am delighted with the camera and am getting to grips with its usage.

I was less than impressed with the Pixmania service however. When the camera arrived, it had four user manuals (French, German, Spanish and Flemish!!!!), but nothing in English. When I made contact with Pixmania they referred me to the "small print" which said that manuals may have to be downloaded.

So I was faced with the scenario of either learing one of the four languages :confused::confused::confused: or having to carry a considerably sized manual printed from my home pc whenever I had my camera out and about :eek:....

This is in my view, a very poor reflection on customer service and the attitude to users of Pixmania. The foreign language manuals are a lovely, small and compact booklet which could easily fit into a pocket or into the camera bag I purchased from Pixmania... the alternative is not so lovely.

If you are buying from Pixmania, just have regard for the fact that you may be faced with a similar situation. I'd be interested if people have had similar experiences from other online services. I also think this reflects badly on Canon, despite the fact that they have odne nothing wrong....:(
    I'd suggest just buying this, it's excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

OP

My advice, buy online froma reputable dealer in the UK because sterling is so weak right now that it amounts to massive savings. The two most reputable dealers that I can determine are Jessops and Calumet. Both have stores throughout the UK and at least one in N.Ireland (so you could even drive to newry/belfast if you were still uncomfortable ordering online). I just bought a whole load of gear from Calumet, very cheap and delivered very fast.

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/
    http://www.jessops.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ADDON wrote: »
    ... I also think this reflects badly on Canon, despite the fact that they have odne nothing wrong....:(

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

I bought my 450D about a year ago from Komplett.ie

at the time the price was a lot cheaper than any camera shop in Dublin
    and i picked up the Camera myself from their Depot in Blanchardstown

A similar problem to pixmania no english manual :mad:
    had to download of the net which is a pain !
    but apparently you can pick up english versions on E Bay quite cheap

i know that recently D.I.D an Harvey Normans were having a bit of a price war on the 450D so may be if you go in there and haggle haggle
    you might get a better deal.

its a great camera by the way:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I bought my 450D from 7dayshop last Christmas and it was a bargain at the time. Absolutely love the camera now.

Its £490 - £30 cash back from here: http://www.digital-cameras.com/product.asp?ProductName=Canon-EOS-450D-18-55mm-IS-Lens-Kit-(%A330-Cashback-!!)&ProductID=4594 Reports on them have been mixed but I got a lens from them last week and it was about €60 cheaper than the so called reputable sites, and it took 3 days to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

I bought my 450D from 7dayshop last Christmas and it was a bargain at the time. Absolutely love the camera now.

Its £490 - £30 cash back from here: http://www.digital-cameras.com/product.asp?ProductName=Canon-EOS-450D-18-55mm-IS-Lens-Kit-(%A330-Cashback-!!)&ProductID=4594 Reports on them have been mixed but I got a lens from them last week and it was about €60 cheaper than the so called reputable sites, and it took 3 days to arrive.

Beware that digital-cameras.com and camerabox.co.uk are the same shower. I have had a terrible experience with them and after researching the web, there are loads of nightmare stories out there about them (peppered with a few positive experiences to be fair).
    In truth they are a 1-2 man outfit either operating out of a house or tiny unit. They have very little actual stock, they order to order so to speak. If anything goes wrong, they simply ignore you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

dnme wrote: »
    Beware that digital-cameras.com and camerabox.co.uk are the same shower. I have had a terrible experience with them and after researching the web, there are loads of nightmare stories out there about them (peppered with a few positive experiences to be fair).
    In truth they are a 1-2 man outfit either operating out of a house or tiny unit. They have very little actual stock, they order to order so to speak. If anything goes wrong, they simply ignore you.

I know what you mean about people having bad experiences. I've read the reviews. I intended to avoid camerabox on the advice of people in here, and ordered from digital-cameras instead. I was shocked when the confirmation email came from camerabox. But it all worked out well. They even rang me after they got my order to confirm my address, as they thought it might be incomplete. I suppose sometimes you will get lucky, but they were definitely well cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement