Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahogony Table

Options
  • 24-10-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I made a couple of Mahogony coffee tables and going to keep them and was wondering what is the nicest finish I can finish them with? Was thinking oil or wax rather than varnish but what do you's think folks?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

French polish is the only finish you should consider. Begin with a light stain (test unnder the table first to see the result) and then a couple of coats of polish. Your only man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Danish oil brings out the natural beauty of wood really well! Its real easy to apply also! Just brush it on liberally and then wipe off the excess with a cloth a few minutes later. As its not a varnish at sinks into the wood and isnt just a finish that sits on the wood. If you do get danish oil dont get the 'quick drying' one, I got it recently and its horrible stuff, gets too tacky quickly and makes the wood look plasticy. If you were going with a wax, I'm not sure how mahogany would take that, I know with walnut anyway you need a sealer first as the wax gets caught in the little flecks and you can see little white dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Danish oil brings out the natural beauty of wood really well! Its real easy to apply also! Just brush it on liberally and then wipe off the excess with a cloth a few minutes later. As its not a varnish at sinks into the wood and isnt just a finish that sits on the wood. If you do get danish oil dont get the 'quick drying' one, I got it recently and its horrible stuff, gets too tacky quickly and makes the wood look plasticy. If you were going with a wax, I'm not sure how mahogany would take that, I know with walnut anyway you need a sealer first as the wax gets caught in the little flecks and you can see little white dots.

+1

I would also like to add if you use Danish oil on the table you can varnish over it to protect it from the likes of water stains and other stuff.

My suggestion would be to use a matt heat resistant varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

If you have some offcuts from making them try some different finishes on them. Sand/plane them to the same level as the finished tables and then try some different finishes.
    The finish you choose will also have to stand up to the use of the piece and where it is going to go. A bedroom table will get a lot less abuse than a hall table so your finish needs to be appropriate to that.
    I like Shellac for pieces that will not see a lot of abuse, very easy to apply and then you can put a wiping varnish over the top (varnish thinned a little with spirits) Bob Flexner's book on finishing is a great place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I've just started experimenting with a new "penetrating" ployurethane varnish manufactured by Woodoc, they do a product specifically for table tops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement