Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Garda Reserves Fully Insured ?

• 24-10-2009 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about becoming a Garda Reserve

(1 ) I would like to know if I get injured while on patrol am I fully insured for my injuries ?

(2) Do I get payed for working like the Northern Ireland Reserves and English Reserves ?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Go easy on him people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

psni wrote: »
    Go easy on him people...

ah but how often do we get the chance to ...

okay I'll just log-out for now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Questions 3 and 4 have been wisely removed by the OP, so please do not include them in your answers (to those of you who might be tempted to do so).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 sf94

cable842 wrote: »

(1 ) I would like to know if I get injured while on patrol am I fully insured for my injuries ?

(2) Do I get payed for working like the Northern Ireland Reserves and English Reserves ?

Hey, answers as best i can:

1. I do believe that you are. This came up in our phase 1 training and the answer was yes you are covered under the same insurance as the full timers. There is some sort of difference however.....and the specifics im not that sure of. Something to do with if you are injured and have to miss work as a full timer you will still get paid (from some garda scheme????) but as a reserve you aren't entitled to that. However, you should be fully re-imbursed via the insurance claim route for any time off work. I think thats it anyway but not 100% sure, anyone else with any experience or who can confirm (or rubbish!) what i've just said??

2. You are paid an allowance of €1,000 a year once you have completed 208 hours. Its only an allowance to cover expenses that you incur in performing your duties as a reserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

psni wrote: »
    Go easy on him people...

must resist urge to...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

I know fine well we don't get paid for it. but I think it is a joke that we don't get paid for it have you ever heard the like of it.

The big idiots from the island how about I risk my life and not get paid.

Guards are gettin attacked ever day and with no proper way to defend themselves and you want to work for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

I know fine well we don't get paid for it. but I think it is a joke that we don't get paid for it have you ever heard the like of it.

Guards are gettin attacked ever day and with no proper way to defend themselves and you want to work for free.

You keep saying 'we', I'm confused, are you in the Reserve or applying.

If you feel that strongly about it, don't join.

The whole Reserve thing is still developing, things might change over time, it also might be abolished. Time will tell

I know fine well we don't get paid for it.

Why did you ask if you knew the answer? Just wondering...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

I wanted to hear from people about how to felt about working for free and putting there lives at risk day in day out.

In the north and in england they get paid for working as a reserve.

They work Voluntary and in every other country they get paid.

I just think that it makes us look like the big fecking eejits from the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭I'm listening

I wanted to hear from people about how to felt about working for free and putting there lives at risk day in day out.

In the north and in england they get paid for working as a reserve.

They work Voluntary and in every other country they get paid.

I just think that it makes us look like the big fecking eejits from the island.

Course you have a point, but that's the way it is. Never going to change tho.

Sure after the Budget in the December, even the full time Gardai will basically working for free too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Could you explain why you are referring to Reserve Gardaì as quote "the big idiots from the island...risk life and not get paid" :confused: Seriously like, is that how you honestly feel or did you just post that on a bad day?

What do you consider a quote "proper way to defend" oneself?

I actually don't know what to make of this thread, what the OP is asking, or where it is going.

OP - Can you please be very clear with your questions. If I can't understand how we can help you, I don't think very many others can either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

I cant understand you m8, you want to join the reserves one min, then you are slagging them off the next, best advice is, keep well away, its people like you that get the reserves a bad name, there is nobody forcing you to join up, people do it because they want to do it, or had a life long ambition to join, but due to unforeseen circumstances could not, or they want to give something back to their community etc.:mad:

Time to close this bizarre thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement