Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much will A+ teach me?

Options
  • 24-10-2009 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I'm studying for the Comptia A+ cert, and wondering when i'm finished, will it have taught me enough to actually repair/set up computers? I'm already fairly handy with computers and repairs (more for family/friends) but I was thinking of doing a local cheap repair service when i'm certified. I also have no 'official' experience in this area.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

Ya would be a good course to have if you want to offer a repair service, you do learn quite a bit.
    Topics of the Essentials/Core examination include IRQs, direct memory access, and practical computer repair, including the installation and repair of hard drives, modems, network cards, CPUs, power supplies, printers, and so forth.

Building a PC from scratch installing the OS, troubleshooting all that lark, 2 exams, from what I remember both pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I found it gives a great over all knowledge of how to do things, hardware and software.

In IT/PC repair in general you're going to come up against issues you've never seen, no matter what qualifications you have, and I find the most important thing is to have that initial interest and understanding of computers that you already have, then Google and tech forums are your best friend. Then over time pad out your CV with courses like the A+ then maybe some MCP's (Microsoft Certified Person?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Barrypr

P is for Professional(MCP)

Ya like NothingMan said it will give you a good starting point but you will always come across situations that will require google, a tech's best friend.

If you wish to continue and build on your skills, you could move into networking, with network+/microsft/cisco courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I wouldn't worry about 'official' experience, but make sure you have had plenty of hands-on experience before you go taking money from people for a professional service. It's usually easy enough to pick up old computers for cheap or free, then you can familiarise yourself with taking various types of machine apart and putting them back together again. There are certain things (replacing CPUs, re-soldering capacitors, etc) that you don't want to be learning on-the-fly.

Advertisement