Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 / Static IP / DNS Problem

Options
  • 24-10-2009 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

This has been driving me crazy for the last while. Hopefully someone can help.

Ive always had my PS3 connected to my WPA enabled Belkin cable router (F5D7234-4 v1000) using automatic network settings. Could browse and play online no problem. I now want to put my PS3 in a DMZ so that certain games wont bug me about port settings / will stop dropping connection from time to time etc. This obviously means I need to give my PS3 a static IP address.

I noted my primary and secondary DNS addresses from my router config, then went about setting up the PS3 with a static IP. When I get to the stage of testing the ps3 connection, it connects to my router fine with the static ip but it fails the internet connection part of the test and gives me a DNS error (807101..)

I set it back to connect with automatic settings to the router, then went into the status section on the PS3 and noted all the IP/DNS numbers in there. Then I went to set up the connection manually again, and used the exact same numbers as when the router was successfully connected, except for the PS3's IP of course which i made 192.168.2.101
    Still no joy.
    I did also try switching off DHCP in the router too, no good.

Ive been advised on a PS3 forum to try to use ip reservation to assign a specific IP to my PS3's MAC address. As far as I can see, the router is basic and doesnt have the functionality.

I really cant see what the problem is. When the network is all automatic, the PS3 works fine, but when I set it up manually on the PS3, it does connect to the router but fails the DNS test, despite the fact Im giving it the exact same details!!

Sorry for the long post, just thought id give you all the info.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Can u turn on the DHCP..i think you said that works..then set the lease time to forever ..Ive never set up DMZ or no knowledge of ps3 but sounds werid that it would'nt take a static IP unless it expects the DNS servers to be in the same network in which case set the ps3 dns to the ip address of the router..

Advertisement