Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 "Starter?" Evil?

• 24-10-2009 11:13pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at purchasing a Toshiba N205 with Windows 7, then found out that it only comes installed with the "Starter" version of 7 that only allows the simultaneous running of 3 apps? Huh?

"Windows 7 Starter Edition may be the most evil version of Windows as to date. It imposes a restriction on all users that only allow three simultaneous applications. Microsoft’s defense behind the restriction was that it ensures that users can get the best possible performance from limited netbook hardware. But seeing that Windows 7 Beta – which is the Ultimate edition – already runs so well on even the lowest spec netbooks, many are wondering why Microsoft would impose such a restriction."

Source: http://windows7center.com/news/is-windows-7-starter-edition-microsofts-dirty-trick/

Only three apps at a time? Geeeeeez, that would be a real limitation, and may convince me to not buy a netbook. What would happen if I increased the Toshiba netbook N205 memory from its original 1 gig to 2 gigs, and installed Windows 7, rather than the currently installed "Starter" version of Windows 7? I realise that the Atom 1.67 is tiny, but the FSB is 667, and the HDD is 150 gigs. Am I looking for trouble?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I run windows 7 on my netbook and have run more than 3 apps at a time with no problems. So the hardware is grand and putting on any other version on windows 7 will be fine. I thought they scrapped the limited to 3 apps thing. Guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

The 3 app limit has been removed.
    The first line of the post even states so with an update
    Update: Microsoft has removed the three-app limit

Advertisement