Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Pictures or Videos of South Dublin

Options
  • 24-10-2009 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi, I'm always on the look out for old pictures of south county dublin. I know there is a tread for dublin centre but I thought one for South Dublin would be better. I am looking for old pictures, aerial photos or videos of South Dublin, paricularly the Donnybrook, Dundrum, Blackrock, Clonskeagh area. Thanks.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 2can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Stillorgan 1964 (Cheers 2can!)
    o_vq0too5g.jpg

Stillorgan 2009
    stillorgan2009.png w320.png

You can Bolands at the right hand corner there, the big shed is currently Leisureplex.
    Proof that we really are in love with our cars! :D Suprised that Leisureplex shed has manged to stay up all these years, must be a wreck that this stage!

I vote for this thread to become a sticky!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

What are we looking at? Would Baumans be on the right and the Stillorgan College of Further Education on the left today?

stillorgan2.jpg

• Advertisement

I posted this picture on histographica actually.

What you are looking at is Stillorgan hill. What is now the Stillorgan Orchard Pub is on the right where you can see the gable with 'J & J Cullen' marked on it. I have heard that this pub was commonly know as 'The Widow Cullens'. To the right is what is now Burn nightclub and what was Blake's restaurant. Further down the hill on the right is now Esmond Motors. All the cottages to the right before 'Cullens' are still there today, everything else is gone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

2can wrote: »

To the right is what is now Burn nightclub and what was Blake's restaurant. Further down the hill on the right is now Esmond Motors.

Eh, these are on the left, no?

sorry, esmond motors is on the left of the picture

I often wondered why the student residences at UCD were called Belgrove. There was no house on that site. I recently figured out that the stream that runs past the residences is flowing through the Belgrove Valley. The was a house (demolished) further down the stream, located at old stillorgan road (approx where the entrance to UCD is, on the N11) called Belgrove.

The stream flows under the back of the library and into the UCD lake. From there I assume it runs on under the Woodview housing development and into the booterstown marsh.

Here's a pic of the Belgrove valley, from the 1950's I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

This Pathe News clip from January 1941, shows the houses in Rathdown Park in Terenure, that were hit by German bombs.
    It was the first time bombs fell on Dublin during WW2.

info Here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wat Tyler

2can wrote: »
    The stream flows under the back of the library and into the UCD lake. From there I assume it runs on under the Woodview housing development and into the booterstown marsh.

I believe that's the roebuck stream your referring to?It flows down through elm park golf course on nutley lane before entering the sea behind the petrol station at the merrion gates.It did originally feed into the marsh but at some stage that part of it was cut off.(Apologies for going off topic)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

That's interesting to see road before blackrock bypass. Pity it's so fast. Anything else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

crushproof wrote: »
    o_vq0too5g.jpg

That is just insane! other than the shops towards the centre left I wouldn't recognise that picture as Stillorgan at all!:eek::eek:

You can see the old cottages in this article

Terenure Rd East, 1950s, taken from outside the Church, looking towards crossroads.
    The building on the right of the picture, was the tramway ticket offices, and is now Falks Lighting Shop, recently closed down.
    Terenure1950s.jpg

Terenure 1970. Floods is now Bradys Pub Terenure. The picture was taken from what is now Eddie Rockets Car Park.
    Apartments and shops now stand where The Circle shop used to be.
    The box on the wall at the left hand side of the Circle shop was actually a chewing gum vending machine. 1 piece of gum for 1/2p.
    I was 3 when this photo was taken.
    BradysPubTerenure1970.jpg

Bank of Ireland Terenure under construction in 1931. Taken from the middle of the crossroads.
    BankofIrelandTerenurebeingbuilt1931-retouched.jpg

Mount Merrion/ Stillorgan/ UCD - 1949

Excellent picture 2can :)

I uploaded it again here marking some features posters might recognise

Pink Line = Roebuck Road
    Red Dot = Fosters Avenue
    Yellow Dot = Stillorgan Road
    Blue Dot = St Helens (Radisson Hotel)
    Light Green Dot = Mount Merrion Avenue
    Blue Box = Trees Road district under construction.
    Orange Dot = Mt Anville School

Vaughans Terenure Cross Roads 1910 / 2011
    vaughansmix2.jpg

Terenure Cross Roads 1910 / 2011
    trnmix.jpg

Bradysmix.jpg

tremix.jpg

Templeogue Road Looking towards Terenure 1940 / 2011
    Templeogueroadmix.jpg

Orwell Road Rathgar 1910 / 2011
    OrwellRoad1910-2011.jpg

Did a few of Dublin City

Rathmines 2011
    rathmines1.jpg

Rathmines 1910 / 2011
    rathmines1mix.jpg

Rathmines with Slatterys Pub and Town Hall 2011
    rathmines2.jpg

Rathmines with Slatterys Pub and Town Hall 1910 / 2011
    rathmines2mix.jpg

O Connell St 2011
    OConnellst2011.jpg

O Connell St with Military Parade 1950s / 2011
    OConnellst1942-2011.jpg

Heuston Station 2011
    heuston.jpg

Heuston Station 1910 / 2011
    heustonmix.jpg

Dolphin House Essex St (Off Parliment St) 2011
    dolphinhouse.jpg

Dolphin House Essex St (Off Parliment St) 1930s / 2011
    dolphinhouse-hotelmix.jpg

Four Courts 2011
    4courts.jpg

Four Courts 1930's / 2011
    4courtsmix.jpg

• Advertisement

During World War 2, on the morning of Jan 2nd 1941 German Bombs fell on Terenure.
    The bombing was believed to be accidental. These were the first bombs to fall on Dublin City during WW2.
    6 Months later, the North Strand was badly hit by German Bombs on May 31st 1941.

Bomb Damage to houses at Rathdown Park Terenure.
    The top of a 'Beehive' type Air Raid shelter is visible over the garden wall slightly to the right of centre.
    Image0400-1.jpg

Bomb Damage to houses at Rathdown Park Terenure.
    Image4001-1.jpg

Police and other Officials survey damage to one of the Rathdown Park Houses.
    3-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Some great pictures there - looks like Terenure has not changed that radically in 100 years

Thanks Luckycharm :) It's hard to get the precise spot for the modern shots with Street View. Ideally I should actually take the modern ones myself from the same spot, so that all the angles, perspective and distance works out, but I've been lucky with some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/

Lots here, SDCC area only, but lots to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

crushproof wrote: »
    o_vq0too5g.jpg

Stillorgan 2009
    stillorgan2009.png w320.png

You can Bolands at the right hand corner there, the big shed is currently Leisureplex.
    Proof that we really are in love with our cars! :D Suprised that Leisureplex shed has manged to stay up all these years, must be a wreck that this stage!

I vote for this thread to become a sticky!

Great photo! Anyone ever come across photos of the Stillorgan dual carriageway being built, or photos of the old road?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

a reasonably well known one, Sandymount village

176826.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Imagine we had of kept all our tram lines and railway lines. We'd have one of the best public transport systems in the world.
    Those old trams look amazing. Where are they now? Destroyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

This private collection on flickr has some great old photos of Ireland going back over 50 years.

Some south Dublin included:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88051129@N00/

• Advertisement

Advertisement