Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Pictures or Videos of South Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Play The Sopranos song until 13 seconds, then press play on the driving video.
    marcsignal wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Play The Sopranos song until 13 seconds, then press play on the driving video.

That actually works surprisingly well.

I saw a similar video of London a while ago that was taken in the 50s if I remember correctly. In both videos the thing that stood out most was the lack of road marking and flashing lights/ signs that we have every where now. And somehow the traffic still seemed to flow better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

That's fantastic. Perfect song for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

This 1982 video features Dun Laoghaire / Blackrock

http://vimeo.com/27435412

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Wow, that one really brought back memories.

I used to get all those buses (having walked from Cushlawn down that bloody road) whenever the bus drivers decided to stop going up via Cushlawn/Donomore/Knockmore.

I think that clip was filmed from here:

187165.JPG

• Advertisement

Here are a couple more, Monkstown Village circa 1901, 1905 & a few years ago (not my pics)

MonkstownChurches_LROY696.jpg

Monkstown1905.jpg

monkstown_church_lge.jpg

(Not my pics) Dun Laoghaire, Georges St
    dusdul1701.jpg

East Pier, I have apostcard of this one at home with a union jack flying high :

3142311-East_Pier_1910_Dun_Laoghaire.jpg

1187267594-2888-0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Morlar wrote: »
    East Pier, I have apostcard of this one at home with a union jack flying high :
    I'd love if you could scan that if you get a chance.

Ron DMC wrote: »
    I'd love if you could scan that if you get a chance.

Yep, will try and dig it out some evening this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

The Big Snow of January 1982 - Walkinstown / Crumlin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

Tripp wrote: »

****ing hell, all the old opels, fiestas + lorries!Not to mention flat tops+levi 501s!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Looking at all these photos, I really wish we still had those trams!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

The Cherry Tree Pub building is visible @ 1:43 in both, the snow, and the football vides above.
    They were both filmed by a guy I know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

bb815d7945b03791ea79dca8bcee5d53f9de766.jpg
    In 1980, Brewery Road was still rural, with trees and fields seperating it from Sandyford Industrial Estate, which was much smaller than it is now.

Just behind the bus you can see the junction with Leopardstown Road - just a simple T junction. The space behind the bus is now taken up by the large roundabout, and Brewery Road is wider, with verges, wider footpaths, and far from rural looking.

D396 was more often to be found on the 48A, but is seen here on the 86, which was then an all-day service, running half-hourly Mon-Fri and roughly hourly on Saturdays.

taken from this excellent collection

Here are the Dun Laoghaire one as promised. It took a while to find them and they are not exactly as I remembered. The union jack is hard to make out but is flying over the yacht club in this one :

189944.jpg

Other East Pier one in a postcard taken before Irish Independence.

189945.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Here are the Dun Laoghaire one as promised. It took a while to find them and they are not exactly as I remembered. The union jack is hard to make out but is flying over the yacht club in this one :

That's not one of the Clubs, it's the Pavilion.

untitledyf8.png

dusdul1695.jpg

Yep, noticed that after I posted it. Those new ones make it look even more like brighton or one of those south england coastal towns.

I have another one at home somewhere, it's a photograph gallery of Ireland modern reprint of a famous east pier postcard - I'll see if I can find that one too.

Actually, I wonder what the Clubs did fly ([pedant]wear[/pedant]) before their current ensigns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

Yep, noticed that after I posted it. Those new ones make it look even more like brighton or one of those south england coastal towns.

Yeah, it is extraordinary how Dun Laoghaire had deteriorated so much over the years until the obvious (much needed) revamp. The paving over the rail line has certainly restored Dun Laoghaire's old world charm with a contemporary twist and I like it. By extension, this allows the shops to cater for more customers. The miniature playground is aptly designed to pay homage to the fact that Dun Laoghaire is a seaside resort as well as being an amenity for boats of almost all sizes. Some of the features seen on The Pavilion Apartment Blocks are modernized inspirations of those seen on the original building.

Nevertheless, the only thing I found excessive was building out the curbs on Marine Road. While it was able to accommodate wooden shop units during the Winter Festival, the mere fact that they were able to fit demonstrates how much space was actually taken from Marine Road. This section could have easily been dolled up without significant build outs. The other side has lost width as well.

Anyway, here is my contribution to the thread:

Dalkey 1957:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Tabnabs wrote: »
    bb815d7945b03791ea79dca8bcee5d53f9de766.jpg

taken from this excellent collection

I remember it well from about 1985 when I was working out in the Industrial Estate. The 44 would bring you to the Mint on Sandyford Road and you could walk down from there. Or the 6A ran into the Estate about once every three days if you were lucky. The H Williams at Balally was the only spot to get a sandwich for miles around. T'was far from the Beacon Hotel etc that we were reared...

This one is available as a NLI reprint :

190090.jpg

190091.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

I'm in there some were Ahh the good old days:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

yogidc26 wrote: »
    I'm in there some were Ahh the good old days:D

So Dalkey was a hotbed of red revolutionaries in the 1980s?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Eh, these are on the left, no?

Yeah, thats looking down towards The Orchard I think.

Advertisement