Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7

• 24-10-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Have to say that this system (Win 7) does not appeal to me. Partly because I had the misfortune to have it "demonstrated" to me by an idiot in one of these superstores. He could not explain why it would be worth my while spending €110 on upgrading from Vista apart from a vague statement about it being faster. The machines I tried did not support this view. I have just tweaked Vista to my liking and I am going to stay with it for a while or so. When something is not broken don't try to fix it.

Petrosky

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Vista my friend is pants, Windows 7 on the other hand has removed a lot of the annoying things on Vista, also it's much fater IMHO and the 64 bit version actually works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

It's basically what vista should've been. More of an update to fix vista rather than a true new os.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Having gone from a fresh install of 64bit vista to 64bit win7 i have to say that the difference was unbelievable. And the system i was running it on was fairly highly spec'd. It is much faster, much cleaner looking, better suited to older machines etc. But if you're happy with vista then keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I believe Vista and Windows 7 started out as the same thing, that's why it seems so similar. In many respects Windows 7 is simply Vista as it was originally intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Vista is a great OS (:eek:), and Win7 is slightly improved, which also makes it great.

If you're happy with Vista, and are savvy enough to tweak it (which you say you are) don't bother upgrading if you don't want to. It doesnt really 'do' anything new, and certainly as far as performance goes its essentially the same (benchmarks overwhelmingly back that up, which surprises a lot of people). With the obvious exception of lower spec machines, where it trouces Vista in performance due to lower ram footprint and tweaked start-up services.

Despite all that, I upgraded :pac: Been using various betas for the last year and was happy to pay £47 for a full licence. Not sure i'd pay retail though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

When something is not broken don't try to fix it.

The problem is that Vista is broken hence why we have Windows 7 now.
    As the other poster said Win 7 is what Vista should have been.
    I've been using Win 7 for months now and I have to say I really like.
    Big improvement.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Vista is one of the biggest disappointments in software history. The Business uptake of vista was minuscule, single digit percentages. Most are still happy with XP - still going strong 10 years on. I tried Vista but it's horrible, terrible bloated. 7 is way way better, I had the beta running on a dual boot for a while and it was great but I always defaulted back to XP as some programs/hardware did not work. I'll prob give the final version a whirl soon and see if I'll stick with it, but I'm give MS money for it at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Petrosky

Thanks folks....some pretty positive comments on the new system....can't
    all be wrong. However, as I say, I have managed to tweak Vista and will
    stay in that camp a little longer.

Petrosky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Petrosky

Vista is a great OS (:eek:), and Win7 is slightly improved, which also makes it great.

If you're happy with Vista, and are savvy enough to tweak it (which you say you are) don't bother upgrading if you don't want to. It doesnt really 'do' anything new, and certainly as far as performance goes its essentially the same (benchmarks overwhelmingly back that up, which surprises a lot of people). With the obvious exception of lower spec machines, where it trouces Vista in performance due to lower ram footprint and tweaked start-up services.

Despite all that, I upgraded :pac: Been using various betas for the last year and was happy to pay £47 for a full licence. Not sure i'd pay retail though.
    I take your comments on board and will probably stick with Vista a little longer as I HAVE tweaked it. But there are a lot of positive comments on the board for 7.

Petrosky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've always been fairly anti-vista since i had a pretty horrible experience with it back a few months after it came out. went back to XP and never looked at it again. while i'm sure a lot of stuff was fixed since then, the damage was already done. Win 7 on the other hand, i've heard nothing but great things about. The fact that it runs well on netbooks and legacy hardware is a massive plus for me. college is letting us download free win7 pro editions soon so I'm going to install it on my now 5yr old desktop (which i use as my main pc) when i get it as i've heard enough good things to jump into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

grimm2005 wrote: »
    so I'm going to install it on my now 5yr old desktop (which i use as my main pc) when i get it as i've heard enough good things to jump into it.

be warned though, it has a small enough footprint in terms of RAM, but a lot of older graphics cards wont have drivers compatible with it, which kind of negates the point of putting it on it (considering it's only the graphical features that distinguish it over XP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Personaly speaking here, I won't be switching from XP, it pushes the right buttons for me and I am happy enoght with it.

Two systems running it.

I am sure its good, but it dose not interest me. Same with the price tag attached.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I <3 Windows 7. That said if you're already running 32 bit XP there's not really much reason to upgrade. The new UI is really nice but there are plenty of swish UI mods for XP if that's your thing.

I think 7 will probably be the OS will be primairly used in 64 bit.
    If you're buying/building a new PC go with 7. If you're running XP and you're happy stick with it for now. If you're running Vista then the choice is more difficult. Certainly Vista 64 is quite good, compared to the mess that was XP 64. Might be worth trying out the RTM on a second partition!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

i never really minded Vista that much but since getting Win7 i will never go back! Win7 loads faster and the 'peek' feature is brilliant.
    loving the new taskbar as well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moved from comp / tech

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Rezident

First impressions of Windows 7 are that it is very good. Looks good, performs good so far. I hated Vista but W7 looks great so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Also a Win 7 fan, well esp after Vista. Win 7 is not all that different from Vista but does run faster and smother, I'd have it over Vista any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

<3 Windows 7. Wish they'd let me install it on my work machine now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 GOB_Bluth

missgwish wrote: »
    i never really minded Vista that much but since getting Win7 i will never go back! Win7 loads faster and the 'peek' feature is brilliant.
    loving the new taskbar as well. :)

'Peek' Feature??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

GOB_Bluth wrote: »
    'Peek' Feature??

Hover over bottom right hand button on the screen, clicking it shows/hide desktop, hovering over it allows you to "peek" at the desktop, handy for checking gadgets, how many windows open etc..

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 ciano12

SAVAGE

Advertisement