Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended must do's to secure a wireless network

Options
  • 25-10-2009 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Ok

So im using WPA2 PSK with AES as encryption, turned on mac filtering and enabled the router firewall. Ive also told comodo firewall on my pc to only trust the ip address of my router so if someone does break through the encryption and mac filtering they will only have access to the internet, not my computer. Anything else people think i should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

Without been a smart arse but make sure you have a good passphrase for WPA.

Also, change the SSID to be something relatively unique. Or at least make sure it isn't on this Top 1000 SSIDs. This will prevent against rainbow table attacks. But if you have chosen a good passphrase this is not an issue.

You could turn on SSID suppression. But your AP will still send out beacons so it doesn't add much security apart from casual users. It also makes your network less useful. I feel the same way about MAC filtering.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hello932 wrote: »
    Ok

So im using WPA2 PSK with AES as encryption, turned on mac filtering and enabled the router firewall. Ive also told comodo firewall on my pc to only trust the ip address of my router so if someone does break through the encryption and mac filtering they will only have access to the internet, not my computer. Anything else people think i should do?

This question is now being asked in various guises with mind numbing frequency usually by mehmeh12 who coincidentally uses the same firewall and similar phraseology http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62810872&postcount=7

hello932 wrote: »
    Anything else people think i should do?

There is but I would have to ban myself if I printed it here!

If you re tech savvy enough to have done the things you list then are you tech savvy enough to know that the only other option is to buy a long ethernet cable. Again I would have to bar myself if I suggested certain uses for it.

For tech advice post here for demands for irrational reassurance and cures for paranoia I suggest the personal issues forum.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement