Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copy of Windows not genuine?

• 25-10-2009 3:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭

Basically in the corner of my screen it now says;

Windows Vista
    Build 6002
    This copy of windows is not genuine

Sometimes Im being prompted to enter a new product key as well.

Apart from this my laptop seems to be working perfectly just wondering though if anyone knows what is wrong?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

you've got a Pirate (Arrr!) version of Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PenDriver

Is it the windows 7 beta you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

PenDriver wrote: »
    Is it the windows 7 beta you have?

No its Windows Vista. I doubt its a pirate version I bought the laptop from PC World only a few months ago with Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jaybl

If you entered the serial and its still doing it your gonna have to ring Microsoft to get it sorted. Happens sometimes with legit serials. Just MS treating all there customers like criminals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PenDriver

No its Windows Vista. I doubt its a pirate version I bought the laptop from PC World only a few months ago with Vista.

Oops meant windows vista :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I would do another windows update thourhg the Vista Control Panel. Sometimes I experienced issues where Windows Genuine Validation software was marking Legitimet copies of XP/Vista as illegal but we knew for a fact this was not the case. After doing the updates the small icon in the taskbar alerting us to the "illegal" software version disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

that happened to me. and then one day I turned on my computer and vista said to me you have 24 hours to back up your stuff or it will shut down.

so after which my computer had no hard drive for 3 months. so I didnt my research and looked up stuff and I put Linux MInt on my tosh and guys Im tellin you I wouldnt go back at all its a dream it runs a dream and no one error message since I turned it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

cable842 wrote: »
    that happened to me. and then one day I turned on my computer and vista said to me you have 24 hours to back up your stuff or it will shut down.

so after which my computer had no hard drive for 3 months. so I didnt my research and looked up stuff and I put Linux MInt on my tosh and guys Im tellin you I wouldnt go back at all its a dream it runs a dream and no one error message since I turned it on.

*sigh*
    I'm sure the OP really wants to hear that the way to fix his Vista installation is to install linux.

I'd suggest to the OP to update Vista and if its still there then ring MS. The PCWorld install of MS comes with a generic Advent or whatever brands key on it. At that stage the key on the sticker under your laptop has never been used, so entering it may have buggered up WGA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Sounds like someone may have snaffled the product key when it was lying around in PC World. Might be an idea to bring it back and let them sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Download and run Jelly Bean Keyfinder and compare the product key that it extracts with the one on the Windows sticker on your laptop. If they're different, enter in the new one when prompted.

WGA is always more concerned with getting you to buy a new copy of Windows, but there is an option to change the key used.

However, as suggested, do run the updates if possible and someone might have scribbled down the product key before you bought it.

If the problem persists, bring the machine back to PC World. And if you feel like it, grass them up to Microsoft. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Go to Windows update and accept the genuine Windows validation tool again. Telephone Microsoft if this doesn't fix this, they will correct the problem for you quickly enough.

Advertisement