Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Road "Safety" Blitz

• 25-10-2009 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

This garda road safety blitz has all the overtones of totalitarianism.

The masses are happy to blow into the bag, be looked up and down, have their breath checked, have their discs checked. All in the name of "safety".

I am not willing to hand over whatever few freedoms remaining in the name of "safety".

We know that there is a war on the private motorist, he must be removed from the road at all costs. Hence the massive cost of running a car, the tolls, taxes, carbon taxes, nct, speeding fines, soon to appear city entry charges and so on.

Now the main issue: OPERATION SURROUND

In the motors forum someone mentioned that the cops were "locking down" towns. Checkpoints on all entry and exit routes. I seen something similar being done on cities in the UK such as Liverpool.

In my opinion the garda are using the safety blitz as a cover for practice exercises on locking down downs to keep all residents inside the area.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

I think the conspiracy is that they want people to obey the laws of the country and for people to get home safe. You and run_to_da_hills are going to get along very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

KimHawkins wrote: »

The masses are happy to blow into the bag, be looked up and down, have their breath checked, have their discs checked. All in the name of "safety".

I am not willing to hand over whatever few freedoms remaining in the name of "safety".

We know that there is a war on the private motorist, he must be removed from the road at all costs. Hence the massive cost of running a car, the tolls, taxes, carbon taxes, nct, speeding fines, soon to appear city entry charges and so on.

In the motors forum someone mentioned that the cops were "locking down" towns. Checkpoints on all entry and exit routes. I seen something similar being done on cities in the UK such as Liverpool.

In my opinion the garda are using the safety blitz as a cover for practice exercises on locking down downs to keep all residents inside the area.

Haha!
    I know its probably highly rude and against the charter to call posters "crazy" on this forum.
    But, seriously, sometimes what else can you say?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What freedoms would they be? The 'freedom' not to insure your car?? The 'freedom' to go out and get totally blathered and drive home??

Reduction of carbon dioxide poisoning of our environment by trying to get people out of their cars is hardly sinister!

I was driving in Cork city last night and didn't see any Gardaí around the place with checkpoints etc. on every exit and entry, in fact I didn't come across them at all.

Your post makes me :pac: out loud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

The OP has a point actually. Random Breath Testing has been abused by Police Forces. This is the reason it's not allowed in some countries such as Canada for Constitutional reasons. Taking a sample of breath, blood or urine without any suspicion or good reason is seen as a violation of rights .

Look what happened in Australia earlier this year at a Checkpoint. Six hour delays! Is this reasonable or an abuse of police power?

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/local/news/general/giddings-pledges-rethink-on-breathtesting-action-at-falls/1401076.aspx?src=rss

Giddings pledges rethink on breath-testing action at Falls

BY CHRIS PIPPOS
    7/01/2009 9:38:00 AM
    THE breath-testing furore at the end of this year's Falls Festival will be avoided next time, Acting Premier Lara Giddings has pledged.
    A police breath-test blitz, which netted 31 people charged with drink-driving, was blamed for thousands of young people being trapped in traffic hell for up to six hours at the end of the long event.

Police remained unapologetic, saying they acted to keep Tasmanian roads safe.

After a meeting with event organisers yesterday, Ms Giddings said next year's festival police action would be handled differently.

"It was disappointing that this year's extremely successful festival was marred by organisational problems associated with random breath testing of some patrons," she said.
    "Festival organisers were provided with a clear assurance by Minister Jim Cox and Tasmania Police today that we have learnt from this year's issues and random breath tests after the event will not be run in the same way in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Reduction of carbon dioxide poisoning of our environment by trying to get people out of their cars is hardly sinister!

Carbon dioxide is a major component of the carbon cycle ,it is used by plants for photosynthesis , why are you saying it is poisoning the environment ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Please bar in mind that the OP is sitebanned and will no longer be joining in on the discussion.

espinolman wrote: »
    Carbon dioxide is a major component of the carbon cycle ,it is used by plants for photosynthesis , why are you saying it is poisoning the environment ?

Indeed it is...however far too much CO2 is being produced by human activity (and other poisonous gases besides) for plants to absorb in addition to huge swathes of forests being sawn down every year by humanity. This causes CO2 to accumulate in our atmosphere causing an increase in terperatures...not good for anyone...bad for the environment wouldn't you say??

Anyway this is way off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭simplistic

What freedoms would they be? The 'freedom' not to insure your car?? The 'freedom' to go out and get totally blathered and drive home??

Yes of course, Do you adovacte the use of violence to solve these problems?

Again do you advocate the use violence against people in the name of a theory about the enviornment?
    I was driving in Cork city last night and didn't see any Gardaí around the place with checkpoints etc. on every exit and entry, in fact I didn't come across them at all.

Your post makes me :pac: out loud

We are at the beginning of a depression , the gardai are there to collect money for the government. It makes me laugh that people believe they are here to protect us!

simplistic wrote: »
    Yes of course, Do you adovacte the use of violence to solve these problems?

Again do you advocate the use violence against people in the name of a theory about the enviornment?

We are at the beginning of a depression , the gardai are there to collect money for the government. It makes me laugh that people believe they are here to protect us!

Not with ya buddy.....are you trying to make a point because I can't make head nor tail of what you just wrote!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Yawn.. is that you Jim Corr:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Actually with this thread having been started by a site banned asshat I'm locking it. If anyone thinks the topic has any merit or place in this forum feel free to start a new thread rather than whinging that I closed this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement