Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalize abortion

Options
  • 25-10-2009 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Abortions should be legal, it should be a woman's right to decide over her own body, a fetus has no rights. If I was a woman I would never ever live in Ireland and I do not understand why any woman would want to live in a country with so primitive laws?

Do you guys feel it is time to join the 21st century and have normal abortion laws?

Comments

Uh-oh. Not the best start to a debate I fear.

can_of_worms.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Well abortion laws in Ireland are very strange compared to normal countries, other catholic countries allow abortions so why not Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

You're absolutely right, they should be changed and women should have the right to choose.

Unfortunately there is still quite a proportion of this country that are ignorant cretins, such as Coir and their ilk, and the anonymous pro-lifers who post on Personal Issues here trying to upset and scare those in doubt out of having an abortion or send them on a guilt trip over it.

I'd be interested to see if they ran a referendum at a time that suited students and young people, unlike the last GE, what the results would be like these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

the laws in this country are ridiculous. we can't have abortions based on the opinion of god. how about if god comes and tells us himself? i recently had to go with the girlf for the emergency pill, and had to piss around town for hours looking for a doctor because we couldn't get a doctor to see us as it was a saturday - this is ludicrous, and essentially it's telling women that they are silly little kids with no capacity to make these decisions for themselves.

RB you make an excellent point - if all students and young profs were out at the polls the results of the last general election would have been different i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Abortion Laws, Blasphemy Laws ...

one would still think were living in the 19th century here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

SLUSK wrote: »
    Abortions should be legal, it should be a woman's right to decide over her own body, a fetus has no rights. If I was a woman I would never ever live in Ireland and I do not understand why any woman would want to live in a country with so primitive laws?

Do you guys feel it is time to join the 21st century and have normal abortion laws?

Let's say we let you write the law.

For how many weeks would you allow it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

iv allways been in favor of the idea of free abortions to whoever wants it think of all the savings in child benifit,maternity leave etc. whatever about the morality of the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

The question is one of a balance of rights. The right of the woman to 'choose' and the right of the child to live.

Which right is more important?

If the position that an unborn child is a human being is conceded obviously the right of the child to live is more important.

If one believes that after 16 weeks of pregnancy the foetus is not really a human being than the right of the mother to kill the foetus might be regarded as more important.

Is a zygote a human being. If you believe that the answer is yes than you can never support abortion (except when the mother's life is in danger).

Is a newborn baby a human being and a zygote not a human being: if the answer is yes than one can reasonably track back in the development of the foetus until one finds a point at which it ceases to be human in the normal sense.

This can be the cut off point for permitting abortion. Or rather three weeks before that just to be sure.

However may people in Ireland believe that a zygote is a human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭MrMicra

iv allways been in favor of the idea of free abortions to whoever wants it think of all the savings in child benifit,maternity leave etc. whatever about the morality of the idea

Would small American flags also be available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Crime would go down if abortions were legalized because people from the lower classess could have abortions and then less criminals will be born, because as we all now many criminals come from the lower classes. Read something about it in Freakonomics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭elpresdentde

MrMicra wrote: »
    Would small American flags also be available?

only if you could use the flags for the procedure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

It might be worth noting before you get involved in this discussion that SLUSK has been banned for trolling in AH.
    That takes a lot. He is well known for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

SLUSK wrote: »
    Crime would go down if abortions were legalized because people from the lower classess could have abortions and then less criminals will be born, because as we all now many criminals come from the lower classes. Read something about it in Freakonomics.

Did you not get slapped around enough the last time you tried your "abortions for the poor to bring down crime" ideas ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Let's not do this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement