Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athens Log In / Journal Headaches

Options
  • 25-10-2009 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Trying to access journals online is doing my head in.

1) For example, I find an article I want to access on SpringerLink, and it tells me to log in. So I select Ireland; University College Dublin; and enter my student name and password.

And it says they're incorrect. Is there some other name/password I'm mean to be using?

2) I'm searching the library website for an article which has been referenced elsewhere. I found the journal and go to whatever website it's archives are stored in, then find the exact volume etc. and locate the original article. However, even though I've done all this through UCD's website, it insists that I have to pay $30 to read the article.

Surely if UCD is linking to these places I should be free to read the articles?

Any help much appreciated! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Have you tried going in through UCD Connect? I just tried that and can access journals.

When I read your description, my first thought was that eproxy.ucd.ie was down again. This is the server that authenticates you to these external journal sites, and went down a couple of weeks ago, but it's working now.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

samsamson wrote: »
    However, even though I've done all this through UCD's website, it insists that I have to pay $30 to read the article.

Surely if UCD is linking to these places I should be free to read the articles?

Any help much appreciated! :(

There are some articles that UCD hasn't paid to provide access to - all you can do with these id read the intro. Maybe you can ask someone in the library to have the fee paid? I don't know.

I always find that logging into the library website from your UCD connect while on campus is the most headache-free way to use the Athens system. The whole thing is a pain in the balls though. You think UCD would reorganise the way it works to make it a bit easier for us students. I know a lot of final year students who just stay away from online journals because they can't figure it all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Thanks guys, going into UCD connect, then the My Library tab and searching from there (rather than the ucd.ie library website and logging in there) made a significant difference.

Agreed that a more user friendly system really should be implemented.

Advertisement