Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sega Megadive Mod Re-done

Options
  • 25-10-2009 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

With the approval of Witnessmenow and Kinetic, Ive decided to document some of the console mods Ive done/plan on doing. This first one is a rehash of a Sega Megadrive mod I dont many moons ago as a budding moddist, armed with a soldering iron and some solder, I set about performing a very messy Sega Mod.

Basically there are a group of jumpers on the megadrive mainboard, and when set in certain configurations, you can have the unit output its display at either 50 or 60hz, and if the cart supports it, between english and japanese language.

So here I was many moons later, while documenting my collection for the arcade & retro forum, I decided to re-visit this mod and tidy it up so some slightly improved soldering skills, and post it here for anyone who's interested. Yes this mod is extremely easy, and guides are available all over the interweb, but this is OUR forum, and WE didnt have photos of it....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Photos Cont:

The last two photos are Sonic & Knuckles running in both 50hz (Colour), and 60hz (Black & White). You can see the difference in screen size here. 60hz isnt available in colour unless you use the Megadrive Scart Cable....off to ebay with me.

Big thanks to mmmonkey for his guides.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

wow. How long did that take you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

To redo the mod? About 10/15 mins. To do the original mod takes a little longer, as the case had to be cut to accomodate the switches. Its prob about as basic as a console mod can get :)

Advertisement