Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

RV or not?

• 25-10-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm been looking at campervans for a number of months now, I'm really confused as to whether to pursue a traditional camper or go for the RV.

I like the idea of the RV given the space etc.. but obviously concerned regarding size (length) and Engine (Diesels seem to be 7ltr and petrols 5 ltre)

Anyone out there got an RV or better again had both? If so whats your experience?

I'm really trying to build a Pro's and Con's on the RV, any opinions you might have is appreciated

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I take it that by RV you mean some big, shtonking US built motorhome? Something like this:
    2008-winnebago-destination.jpg

Never had one and never will, personally. I'd love the interior space, but i'm also very fond of exploring the nooks and crannies of the Irish road network. Imagine going round the Beara peninsula in something the size of an articulated truck...wouldn't be very relaxing :D

Mind you ...they are very good value these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

It is all down to choice after you take into account storage space at home and licence you hold all small petrol rv's require a C1 licence all other types need a C licence
    On personal front we are very happy with the rv have toured much of Ireland in it inc the ring of Kerry ( we live in west cork ) there has been plenty of times it gets very tight but just stop and wait untill the road is clear when touring you allways have enough supplies for at least 5 days to a week we only stop for longer than that in Europe then we camp up in an area for 2 to 3 weeks and get a rental car to tour in and get supplies etc used to take a car but found it cheaper to rent.
    It does take a bit more planning in the off season booking a campsite rent cars etc it is also very handy to have a co driver watching on all roads but main/motorways, there are times I do miss the smaller van but it is down to what you feal comfie in driving living etc there will never be the ideal campervan for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

thanks Irish River, are you saying that my full drivers license is not enough for an American RV (approx 30ft in length). I thought I'd be covered but now I'm a little concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭tmalmb

thanks Peasant, not sure if you were trying to post a picture (it didn't appear) but the RV I'm refering to is about 30ft long (more like a bus tha an truck).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

You will need a minimum of a C1 I had a C1 and E+ licence so with a trailer I can go up to 12,000 kg the rv is weighing in at 7,230 kg the insurance company wanted a copy of the licence before issuing the policy but I am now training for the C licence (changeing rv) if you have a B licence and are upgradeing go direct for a C class because there are very few rv's below 7 1/2 tonne and if you intend to tow anything from an a frame to a trailer you will also need a E+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

irishrver wrote: »
    ...if you intend to tow anything from an a frame to a trailer you will also need a E+
    You're allowed to tow up to 750 kg gross if you've a full licence, without going for the E+cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Another thing to remember is the mains ins generally 110v , and the heating and fridge systems will be unfamiliar to most over here . I had some fun(!) last year sorting out an American import that A-dealer-who-will-remain-nameless plugged into 220v while (badly) fitting a Satellite TV system to , and blew the electrics haywire...

Advertisement