Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15,278 public sector workers earn more than €100,000

Options
  • 25-10-2009 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

Another Public sector pay post but Im not sure if these figures have been posted,

Im more than a bit shocked by this but now I realise there is great scope for cost reductions.

A third of PAYE workers who earned more than €100,000 (46,794 in total) last year are from the Public service. Thats 15,278 public sector workers

More than a third of the PAYE workers who earned between €70,000 and €100,000 (94,773 in total) are from the public service, thats well over 30,000 public sector workers

And of the 171,096 paye workers earning between €50k and €70k the ration edges close to 40%, that well over 60,000 public sectors workers.So well over 100,000 public sectors workers are doing pretty well........ These are the guys/gals we need to look at when reducing the public sector pay bill.

Now the 183,629 public sector workers who earn less than €30,000 need to be left the fuck alone

These figure are in todays indo, cant find the online page....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

finally, some figures!

so much for private sector "racking it in"

theres me thinking i was doing well getting 35K before taxes for working 6 days a week, and sometimes at nights, should have joined the public sector :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Those figures are unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

I knew it was bad but I can't believe 15,278, jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

you is mistaken, thats 15,278 people who earned €100,000 between them, they are really poor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

And your point is? This figure includes world renowned doctors, consultants, researchers, people in positions of authority, senior law enforcement etc etc. Yet again with the witch hunt for people that earn over 100,000. Ridiculous thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

15k people isn't a lot when you include consultants etc in hospitals, principals in schools(a truely terrible job, deserving of its pay and status as effectively a manager, any public sector worker over so many people would get more), and many many more.

Some on other hand are over paid for what they do... but what can you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭glaston

muboop1 wrote: »
    15k people isn't a lot when you include consultants etc in hospitals

Consultants pay is probably more like €200,000 +

http://www.publicjobs.ie/cand/JobDetails_eng.asp?JobID=4375&hdnGUID=&hdnJobID=2750&sgDest=JOBLISTING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭RCIRL

The people who receive these salary's may or may not be entitled to them but the truth is, Ireland's broke and can no longer afford to pay them, its not fair to have the public sector taking strikes etc.

The people in the private sector are just as much entitled to their salary's but 450,000 of them who never mind facing a pay cut, they have lost their job completely!

You don't see them threatening the Government with strikes or refusal to accept, what gives the public sector the right and nerve to do so??

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

OP,back up your figures, what professions/areas are these people in?, what positions do they occupy? You can't group everybody into one category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

RCIRL wrote: »
    You don't see them threatening the Government with strikes or refusal to accept, what gives the public sector the right and nerve to do so??

Because they can. We need them no matter what people think. If hospital staff properly went on strike, we are screwed. If teachers stop teaching we have no future people in education.

If garda stop working we have mayhem.

If firemen stop working we have potential trouble.

Even if the country decided to recruit in all these areas, it would be a while before they could be replaced effecively due to training etc.

Thats just the main samples i can think of.

But more then that, they signed a contract.

The government has already made it so they now get an unfair tax and pay more on their pensions then average public sector worker
    See thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719579

More then that do, they have a contract which must be held up.
    If a public sector worker had his contract changed etc without his agreement which afaik is i breach of the contract anyway they would be sue-ing!

my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

muboop1 wrote: »
    Because they can. We need them no matter what people think. If hospital staff properly went on strike, we are screwed. If teachers stop teaching we have no future people in education.

If garda stop working we have mayhem.

If firemen stop working we have potential trouble.

Even if the country decided to recruit in all these areas, it would be a while before they could be replaced effecively due to training etc.

Thats just the main samples i can think of.

But more then that, they signed a contract.

The government has already made it so they now get an unfair tax and pay more on their pensions then average public sector worker
    See thread - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719579

More then that do, they have a contract which must be held up.
    If a public sector worker had his contract changed etc without his agreement which afaik is i breach of the contract anyway they would be sue-ing!

my 2 cents

Nobody is indispensable, you learn that quickly in the private sector, anybody can be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

omahaid wrote: »
    Nobody is indispensable, you learn that quickly in the private sector, anybody can be replaced.
    But, usually at a cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 wicklowmale

why should the PS not accept cuts/redundancies when the private sector take them on the chin, no matter how painful it is

PPl who think otherwords live in a dream, not surprising if they earning those figures

I agree the low paid PS workers should be left alone

It be interesting to find out how much the union leaders are on. Does anyone have these figures?

I am getting fed up with the excuses ppl are coming up with for the Public sector.

Some equality would be nice for a change from them, considering they were the ones constantly looking for pay increases during the boom, and higher most of the times than inflation.

The PS need to cop onto themselves and start acting like adults, not a bunch of kids. Private sector workers are keeping quiet at the moment, but we can only take so much crap.

Things are tough and a pay cut is better than lossing ur job.

in relation to the IMF not coming into ireland, this country is borrowing money at the moment from the ECB (bank) and they do have the power to impose on the government if we need any more money and i would not be surprised they are putting pressure on the government at the moment in relation to the upcoming budget.

If someone can give a REAL case towards the reason the PS should not take cuts/redundancy it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    finally, some figures!

so much for private sector "racking it in"

If one third of paye workers earning over 100k work in the public sector does this not mean that there are twice as many priver sector workers than ps workers earning over 100k?

They must be raking it in too, no?

Another Public sector pay post but Im not sure if these figures have been posted, These figure are in todays indo, cant find the online page....
    It must have been a special edition.

The Indo itself is not a source of reliable information - where did the article say its figures came from? Also, who wrote it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Any stats for those earning over 200,000? Might as well give the full picture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

The Muppet wrote: »
    If one third of paye workers earning over 100k work in the public sector does this not mean that there are twice as many priver sector workers than ps workers earning over 100k?

They must be raking it in too, no?

except the private sectors income is not 100% tax based

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

We already know that the Public sector employees are paid 26% more than the private sector equivalent. This is hardly surprising.

The upcoming buget should start to fix this unsustainable position though, thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Diarmuid wrote: »
    We already know that the Public sector employees are paid 26% more than the private sector equivalent. This is hardly surprising.

The upcoming buget should start to fix this unsustainable position though, thank god
    In security services, gardaí and prison officers earn a high premium but Army workers are on less than their private sector counterparts.

Is there a private sector army? I thought the RA had disarmed?

dresden8 wrote: »
    Is there a private sector army? I thought the RA had disarmed?

I checked the report for their sources and statistics and all it says is "Results available from the authors." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

EF wrote: »
    I checked the report for their sources and statistics and all it says is "Results available from the authors." :rolleyes:
    What were the names of the authors?

What were the names of the authors?

Elish Kelly, Seamus McGuinness, Philip O’Connell. Knock yourself out:

Elish.Kelly@esri.ie

Elish Kelly, Seamus McGuinness, Philip O’Connell. Knock yourself out:Elish.Kelly@esri.ie
    Did they write the article in the Indo or is their work being referred to?

Did they write the article in the Indo or is their work being referred to?

It's a full esri report:

http://www.esri.ie/publications/latest_publications/view/index.xml?id=2864

That's a link to an ESRI report. I assume that this did not appear word-for-word in the Indo & instead,as per usual form, the Indo cherry-picked it for ammunition.

The thread is about an article in the Independent, we still don't know who wrote the it, and there is no link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

That's a link to an ESRI report. I assume that this did not appear word-for-word in the Indo & instead,as per usual form, the Indo cherry-picked it for ammunition.

The thread is about an article in the Independent, we still don't know who wrote the it, and there is no link.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was on serious real life football watching business today (:D LFC won v MUFC didnt)

The article is on page 12 of todays independent. Top of the page and was written by John Drennan

I notice the usual suspects are trying to muddy the waters with nonsense just to cover up the real point, 15 THOUSAND PEOPLE ARE BEING PAID OVER 100,000 YOYO'S BY THE TAXPAYER?????

They cant all be consutants, but im sure you will try to find an excuse for this crazy gravy train.

Off to bed for a sleep:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

why should the PS not accept cuts/redundancies when the private sector take them on the chin, no matter how painful it is

PPl who think otherwords live in a dream, not surprising if they earning those figures

I agree the low paid PS workers should be left alone

It be interesting to find out how much the union leaders are on. Does anyone have these figures?

I am getting fed up with the excuses ppl are coming up with for the Public sector.

Some equality would be nice for a change from them, considering they were the ones constantly looking for pay increases during the boom, and higher most of the times than inflation.

The PS need to cop onto themselves and start acting like adults, not a bunch of kids. Private sector workers are keeping quiet at the moment, but we can only take so much crap.

Things are tough and a pay cut is better than lossing ur job.

in relation to the IMF not coming into ireland, this country is borrowing money at the moment from the ECB (bank) and they do have the power to impose on the government if we need any more money and i would not be surprised they are putting pressure on the government at the moment in relation to the upcoming budget.

If someone can give a REAL case towards the reason the PS should not take cuts/redundancy it would be great.

Because the pay cuts and redundancies would not be aimed at those earning the big money. They'd be aimed at the ordinary, low to middle income group such as the nurses, teachers, fire service personnell and ambulance staff on whom we depend. The politicians, heads of departments, fire service chief officers (who do nothing), garda superintendants, hospital consultants - the guys who earn the really big money - would take a 10% or 20% cut which would make barely a dent in their huge salaries and would continue on their merry way. The ordinary Public Servants would either have their pay cut drastically or else lose their jobs, leading to a loss of service to all of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

ghost_ie wrote: »
    They'd be aimed at the ordinary, low to middle income group such as the nurses, teachers, fire service personnell and ambulance staff on whom we depend.

When was the last time you had a look at what nurses and teachers bring home? I wouldn't exactly call it low to middle earners when someone just out of college starts on 35k+. For ambulance personnel there is an actual thread here. Needless to say that thread isn't around because they're so poorly paid.

What I'd call low to middle incomes are the guys fixing your pot holes or processing your income tax forms or your drivers license application. But, sorry, not nurses, teachers, ambulance drivers, prison officers, guards, you name it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

realcam wrote: »

What I'd call low to middle incomes are the guys fixing your pot holes or processing your income tax forms or your drivers license application. But, sorry, not nurses, teachers, ambulance drivers, prison officers, guards, you name it.

Sorry but you're wrong. Would you call high income getting 400 odd euro a week after tax ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

pvt.joker wrote: »
    Sorry but you're wrong. Would you call high income getting 400 odd euro a week after tax ?

No, I wouldn't. But say if someone started on that or had it at a very early stage in their career I'm not sure I'd call it low income though. I mean you make it sound like as if - for arguments sake - 450 on the hand were crap money.

We mustn't get hung up on the fact that people here get 205 for doing nothing. That's very wrong too you know?

Advertisement