Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15,278 public sector workers earn more than €100,000

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

I'm sure its been linked before but can anyone provide a link which breaks down the costs spent in each government area/department I think it would make interesting reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

I'm sure its been linked before but can anyone provide a link which breaks down the costs spent in each government area/department I think it would make interesting reading.
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/publications/other/whitepaper08eng.pdf
    page 7

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    Fair points made - so where would you remove the €4billion public spending from then?

well i dont have a doctorate in economics or anything, but i would look at top earners first and foremost. then all goverment quango's, tribunals comitees and what not that prevent polititions from making a decision of their own. you'd be suprised how much that would save.

then instead of looking then to make massive cuts and make everyone feel pain in the country i would take the risk on getting a loan and putting all that money into proper infrastucture building good safe national roads, new schools and better hospitals and this would increase work and it would get people spending again. it worked in the uk in the 80's.

i would also not go ahead with nama and make the crooks pay instead of bailing them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

stevoman wrote: »
    well i dont have a doctorate in economics or anything, but i would look at top earners first and foremost. then all goverment quango's, tribunals comitees and what not that prevent polititions from making a decision of their own. you'd be suprised how much that would save.

then instead of looking then to make massive cuts and make everyone feel pain in the country i would take the risk on getting a loan and putting all that money into proper infrastucture building good safe national roads, new schools and better hospitals and this would increase work and it would get people spending again. it worked in the uk in the 80's.

i would also not go ahead with nama and make the crooks pay instead of bailing them out.

But realistically your employer (ie. the government) is unlikely to make those changes since it would effect them or their mates who they put in charge of the quangos and in other high paying, low profile positions (in most cases).

Those issues should be brought up by the unions so one must ask the question why aren't the unions representing you properly? I would suggest you look to see if any of them have high paying, low profile positions in these quangos. Some might say they are saying these things but realistically they say them in public and seem to go behind closed doors and we don't know if it is on the agenda once they are in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

stevoman wrote: »

Aside from the problem of asking the turkeys to vote for christmas, I doubt it's all the goverment departments and civil service that are preventing the politicans from getting stuff done, it's the politicians. The politicians love the quangos, it gives them something to pass the buck to, so they can sit on the fence and appeal to more people.
    i would take the risk on getting a loan

We are getting a loan. Lots. About €400 million per week, just to stay afloat.

If we did get a loan, we have to pay interest on the loan. We're already paying about €2billion ish per year on the loans we already have.

If we get more loans, we need to pay more interest, ergo, where would you find money for the interest for the new loan(s) you're suggesting?

• Advertisement
Advertisement