Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fear of own blood?

• 25-10-2009 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

just wondering has anyone else got this fear?
    i dont so much fear seeing the blood as fear what happens next,i faint quite often after seeing my own blood,this start when i was about 15 years old in school,i was standing outside waiting for the teacher to come,some guy hit my leg with his bag,inside he a very sharp arrow from a wind vine thingy,i didnt even notice i was cut for a few seconds til i noticed my trousers were sticking to my leg because of the blood,it wasnt that bad,i went to the loo,sorted it and came back,walking down to back of the class to take a seat i fainted,since then i fainted maybe once a years,not so bad now cause i know i aint so bad once i get a plaster on it soon,but bit embaressing at times,i also learned the old get blood bak to head to stop it thing,anyone else have this phobia?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭zoey

Yea I have this aswell. I first remember fainting after cutting myself around the age of 5, after that I would get REALLY anxious and sometimes faint if anyone even mentioned blood. It was debilitating, I couldn't do biology at school or anything. I went t CBT which helped a great deal but still panic if I cut meyself of if see someone else cut. The worst thing for me now is getting blood taken, thank God I have only had to do it 3 times, fainted the first time and was shaking the next 2 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

zoey wrote: »
    Yea I have this aswell. I first remember fainting after cutting myself around the age of 5, after that I would get REALLY anxious and sometimes faint if anyone even mentioned blood. It was debilitating, I couldn't do biology at school or anything. I went t CBT which helped a great deal but still panic if I cut meyself of if see someone else cut. The worst thing for me now is getting blood taken, thank God I have only had to do it 3 times, fainted the first time and was shaking the next 2 times.
    what is CBT?
    i m fairly ok,never had blood taken,dont get nervous or anything just dont like cutting myself cause i know i might faint which is horrible,need to get a plaster on it asap and that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭zoey

Yea it is horrible, I can honestly say it affects me on an almost daily basis!
    CBT is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Basically the therapist tries to make you understand that they physical reaction (fainting) is a result of your thoughts and so they try to help you change your thoughts about blood/cutting yourself.

As I said I found it a great help, I can't actually believe myself just how bad I was before it but I would still consider myself as having a phobia, just not to the extremes I once had.

Advertisement