Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple MacBook Pro - SSD

Options
  • 25-10-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Recently got the newest Apple MacBook Pro Unibody and was considering swapping out the hard drive for an SSD. I suppose this question is two fold

1) What is the exact spec of the drive in the computer at the minute? I know its SATA but I can't get much info beyond that

2) Can anyone recommend a SSD drive? I was looking at a RunCore one.

Thanks!

ironclaw.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's probably a 5400rpm drive. As for recommendations, the ocz vertex range or the intel ssds are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

It's probably a 5400rpm drive. As for recommendations, the ocz vertex range or the intel ssds are excellent.

Well, thats a start! Thanks for the recommendations. When it comes to SATA, what is or is there a difference between the SATA versions e.g. I, II, 3 etc? Is it just transfer speeds and is there a compatibility issue between them?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ironclaw wrote: »
    Well, thats a start! Thanks for the recommendations. When it comes to SATA, what is or is there a difference between the SATA versions e.g. I, II, 3 etc? Is it just transfer speeds and is there a compatibility issue between them?
    No compatibility issues, they are all backwards compatible. Standard hard drives don't max out sata 1 transfer rates yet so it doesn't matter if it's sata 1,2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Thanks for the help. Do you know what SATA version resides in the newest MacBook?

Advertisement