Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flannerys offensive Halloween decoration

Options
  • 25-10-2009 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hhhhh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I don't know but i'd say its fairly offensive, jesus what is the world coming to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 laydeegaga

I went out last night to Flannerys (across from Smyths) and the first thing I noticed was a Halloween 'decoration' - of a skeleton with a rope around its neck HANGING from the ceiling.
    I felt quite upset by it because I know indirectly of 3 people who took their own lives in this way.
    I cant imagine how the families and friends of those who did this would feel seeing such a thing, blatant and crude, in their faces while out trying to pass away an hour or two of an evening.
    Of the thousands of people who have committed suicide in Ireland I find this downright ignorant of the Flannery family who have been in the trade for many years and really should know better.

How about using 4 ropes and tying these to the arms and legs of the skeleton and make it appear that the skeleton is FLYING over the room???

I phoned up about an hour ago and asked for a manager. A barman answered and told me to call again at 7. I asked that he pass on my message in the meantime.

What do you guys think???
    (I expect friends and followers of Flannerys to have a go and dismiss my post as trivial
    but that's going to be very obvious, isn't it?)

Look - its just wrong ok. Change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I had a friend who drank himself to death too. WHY ARE THEY SELLING ALCOHOL!

Look its wrong ok, just stop.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Eh, what's going on..?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would imagine if you tried hard, most Halloween decorations would be offensive to someone.
    • Jack O'Lantern - Offensive if you have Cucurbitophobia
    • Vampires - People from transylvania have been trying to shake off the Dracula things for years
    • Bats - My dog died of rabies
    • Trick or treating - Some kid choked on a sweet once

Lastly, it wasn't a body, it was a skeleton. So it was already dead.

Halloween is about celebrating the gruesome and macabre.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Your just being over sensitive, its halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Wow, so people really will get offended by anything these days.

Lighten up ffs.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Yeah I was in there the other night and I was pretty disgusted by it. If a person had lost a friend or family member in that manner, it is absolutely the last thing they'd want to see on a night out. You kind of have to see it to realise how completely inappropriate it is. Fair play to you for following up with the management in there, I'm sure yours won't be the only complaint they'll have gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

What about people who have died in car crashes, should their family and friends be concealed from looking at cars?

As said, it's Halloween. I think you're looking a bit too much into it.

• Advertisement

Arathorn wrote: »
    Your just being over sensitive, its halloween.

And exactly what does halloween have to do with suicide?

The skeleton itself is pretty cool. The way they have it displayed is totally insensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I'd a friend who fell off a cliff while shaggin a sheep, everytime I see an Aran Jumper....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

laydeegaga wrote: »
    I went out last night to Flannerys (across from Smyths) and the first thing I noticed was a Halloween 'decoration' - of a skeleton with a rope around its neck HANGING from the ceiling.
    I felt quite upset by it because I know indirectly of 3 people who took their own lives in this way.
    I cant imagine how the families and friends of those who did this would feel seeing such a thing, blatant and crude, in their faces while out trying to pass away an hour or two of an evening.
    Of the thousands of people who have committed suicide in Ireland I find this downright ignorant of the Flannery family who have been in the trade for many years and really should know better.

How about using 4 ropes and tying these to the arms and legs of the skeleton and make it appear that the skeleton is FLYING over the room???

I phoned up about an hour ago and asked for a manager. A barman answered and told me to call again at 7. I asked that he pass on my message in the meantime.

(I expect friends and followers of Flannerys to have a go and dismiss my post as trivial

Dont be silly, skeletons cant fly:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

And exactly what does halloween have to do with suicide?

The skeleton itself is pretty cool. The way they have it displayed is totally insensitive.

Who said the skeleton committed suicide?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I believe they call this political correctness gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Look I can understand how somebody might get upset about this BUT I do not think there is anything inappropriate about it.

It is Halloween, there are costumes going about that will offend just about anybody.

You can buy a hat with a knife going through it so it looks as if you got stabbed in the head.

Should it be withdrawn so as not to offend victims of knife crime?

You can buy a costume that is a mammograph machine.

Should it be withdrawn so as not to offend victims of breast cancer?

I could go on and on here. In short while it may be tasteless you have to draw the line somewhere. Deal with it or stay at home for Halloween.

The Saint wrote: »
    Who said the skeleton committed suicide?

Have to get a pro on the case..

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I believe they call this political correctness gone mad.

Exactly, probably more people take their own lives at Christmas time than any other time of the year. Are we going to ban all things Christmas now in the event it reminds or offends us?

Unfortunately this is the reality of the world we live in. Taking down a skeleton will not change that.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

And what if your friend died in a freak rabbit accident, do we ban the easter bunny? Essentially you have to ask where do we stop.

Risteard wrote: »
    What about people who have died in car crashes, should their family and friends be concealed from looking at cars?

Cars are unavoidable.
    Pubs dont display crashes for decoration.

Why should a pub display a skeleton hanging with a rope around its neck when THAT is avoidable?

• Advertisement

Meh nevermind.

I think you are totally overreacting here OP.

I have a friend who died in a car crash, he hit a wall. I get offended now every time i see a wall and a car.

Wow, so people really will get offended by anything these days.

Lighten up ffs.:rolleyes:

dawt

Thanks Chatterpillar for your sincerity.

To all others - mocking is catching...

Cars are unavoidable.
    Pubs dont display crashes for decoration.

Why should a pub display a skeleton hanging with a rope around its neck when THAT is avoidable?

Car crashes traditionally have nothing to do with Halloween.

Skeletons on the other hand have been associated with the night for a long time. I'll be willing to bet that if the skeleton had a knife through its head it wouldn't have bothered you one bit.

Yes suicude is tragic but I think the problem here is your own sensitivity to the issue. It sounds to me like you need to talk to someone about how this issue has affected you, so that you can deal with it and move on.

Just because we don't agree with you doesn't make us insincere. Where should the line be drawn in your opinion?

Hey I wouldn't consider myself to be over-PC or particularly over-sensitive in general. When I saw it, I wasn't personally offended or upset, probably because no one close to me has ever died in that way.

However I thought immediately when I saw it, imagine if you had in the past found a friend or family member hanging like that - walking into a pub and seeing it would give you an awful shock, and bring back lots of awful memories.

I know that pretty much everything is going to affect some members of society, and it's ridiculous to think you can eliminate the risk of this altogether. But I do believe a line has to be drawn somewhere.

It's not a big deal for the pub in question to simply display the skeleton in a different manner.

Why risk upsetting people (and possibly losing customers) when it's so easily avoidable?

RonMexico wrote: »

Yes suicude is tragic but I think the problem here is your own sensitivity to the issue. It sounds to me like you need to talk to someone about how this issue has affected you, so that you can deal with it and move on.

I need to TALK to someone about how this issue has affected me???
    Eh hold on - you dont know the first thing about me!
    Do you think I went home bawling my eyes out?
    But maybe I WOULD have had I had someone close to me who died by hanging.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hey I wouldn't consider myself to be over-PC or particularly over-sensitive in general. When I saw it, I wasn't personally offended or upset, probably because no one close to me has ever died in that way.
    But maybe I WOULD have had I had someone close to me who died by hanging.

See, here's the problem. So far the only complaints we know of are from people who saw the decoration, but have no direct personal experience of the issue that offends them. That is the over-sensitivity/political correctness shining through.

Why do people feel the need to protest about a problem that doesn't even affect them? Is it even really a problem?!

Advertisement