Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flannerys offensive Halloween decoration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I have friends who died, and whose bodies contain skeletons. I therefore DEMAND that representations of skeletons be banned worldwide (that includes x-rays).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 laydeegaga

FruitLover wrote: »
    I have friends who died, and whose bodies contain skeletons. I therefore DEMAND that representations of skeletons be banned worldwide (that includes x-rays).

Oh hawdeehawhawhawhawhawhaw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I call troll!

If you don't already live under a bridge, then I suggest that you build one and get over it!

An File wrote: »
    See, here's the problem. So far the only complaints we know of are from people who saw the decoration, but have no direct personal experience of the issue that offends them. That is the over-sensitivity/political correctness shining through.

I think you're quite pc yourself for saying so!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

laydeegaga wrote: »
    I think you're quite pc yourself for saying so!

Congratulations on posting today's most ridiculous contribution to Boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Thanks Chatterpillar for your sincerity.

To all others - mocking is catching...
    So our opinions are void because it's not your opinion. Anyone who knows me knows i hate the was the world is changing into a place where everything is offensive and we must shield ourselves from anything slightly over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I felt quite upset by it because I know indirectly of 3 people who took their own lives in this way.
    I need to TALK to someone about how this issue has affected me???
    Eh hold on - you dont know the first thing about me!
    Do you think I went home bawling my eyes out?

By your own admission in your first post you were quite upset.Thanks however for revealing what is really going on here - more politically correct tripe. Oh and you may have edited your last post where you called me a sarcastic little ***** but it did not go unnoticed. You brought personal abuse into this when all I was doing was trying to help.

I too know people who have either tried to commit suicide or actually went through with the act - by hanging For your information. This thing in Flannerys does not bother me one bit because I have better things to do with my life than go around carping about every little thing that annoys me.

Anyway I think at this point you are just being a troll and for resorting to personal abuse you have been reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Did you say anything to the management of the pub in question OP?

Or did you store up your feelings of evident disgust in order to flaunt your altruistic outrage on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Dont feed the fecking troll.Get some help OP

EDIT:but your posts did make me smile

Photi wrote: »
    Did you say anything to the management of the pub in question OP?

Or did you store up your feelings of evident disgust in order to flaunt your altruistic outrage on here?

As mentioned in my FIRST post you will see that yes in fact I DID phone them up this afternoon. 12.05 pm to be precise.

• Advertisement

Perhaps a re enactment of the lives of many an Irish worker be played out on projector in pubs this Halloween.

They could have a young man who cant get work after 5 years uni, cant go J1-ing to the States, tries Australia but returns home 8 weeks with later to join the dole queue.
    Or the young married/co habiting couple, previous double incomers now facing bank repossession due to unemployment and negative equity,
    child benefit being cut.
    Fancy cars now in a compound and distant memories of the expensive holidays and fancy meals consumed? Christmas New York shopping rituals?
    Would THAT be un offensive for all to see???

I don’t know - am I overreacting here?
    I wonder how many of you find this amusing?
    Your lives played out before you as you sit in a bar for a quiet drink
    Those few unaffected laughing and pointing at the ‘suckers’ who borrowed it all way over their heads saying ‘what a great pub, that’s a GREAT show!’

Do you NEED to see a rope around a skeletons neck in a pub?
    Do you NEED reminding of what you had and what you lost? Be it your brother, sister, child or your well-paid job?
    Just cos something hasn’t affected you yet does not mean that it wont.
    Suicide. A fact of life not to be ridiculed.

And for the record - How many people wont go near a church because they were abused by the clergy? At least you know what is there.
    You can AVOID that setting.

You go to a pub for a drink and a bit of release.
    Not to see a gross display of hypothetical suicide which may have directly/indirectly affected you or those close to you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don’t know - am I overreacting here?

Most definitely, yes.
    I wonder how many of you find this amusing?

None of us finds the idea of suicide amusing. What is somewhat funny is your increasingly desperate effort to convince us of something, against the back-drop of your absolute refusal to take our points of view into account.

Do you NEED to see a rope around a skeletons neck in a pub?
    Do you NEED reminding of what you had and what you lost? Be it your brother, sister, child or your well-paid job?

How exactly does a toy skeleton on a piece of string remind you of a lost job?! Are you afraid of upsetting an out-of-work Halloween decorator?! Obviously not, I know...
    Just cos something hasn’t affected you yet does not mean that it wont.
    Suicide. A fact of life not to be ridiculed.

Once again, nobody here is ridiculing suicide. What is ridiculous, however, is your complete over-reaction to what essentially is a bit of plastic on the ceiling of one pub in one town in one small country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

As mentioned in my FIRST post you will see that yes in fact I DID phone them up this afternoon. 12.05 pm to be precise.

Which you seem to have edited. Right.

At this point, having entertained your ridiculous hysterical nonsense all I have to add is this.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Op no offence or anything, but it's people like you that have the world ruined, people who go out and get offended on behalf of others, when they have no direct involvement with the scenario, nor do they have any idea what the feelings of people who have been through this situation are.

People need to stop getting offended on behalf of others.

An File wrote: »
    How exactly does a toy skeleton on a piece of string remind you of a lost job?! Are you afraid of upsetting an out-of-work Halloween decorator?! Obviously not, I know...

What I said was 'how would people like to visit a pub that displays images of an upsetting situation they have experienced'.

Hanging skeleton = reminder of a loved one who died by hanging.

Play enacted of many an Irish worker who've lost the house/car/relationship due to redundancy = reminder of their new and distressing circumstance.
    Would y'all like Mike Finn to produce one and have it on show in your local???

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What I said was 'how would people like to visit a pub that displays images of an upsetting situation they have experienced'.

Hanging skeleton = reminder of a loved one who died by hanging.

Play enacted of many an Irish worker who've lost the house/car/relationship due to redundancy = reminder of their new and distressing circumstance.

for the love of god dont watch the news then if being reminded we're in a recession would distress you, wait, we should ban the news! that reminds people of death, war, abortion, suicide, murder and the x-factor every night! people could be offended and distressed!

I call troll shenanigans on this thread, or misguided pc crusader, although I'm not sure which is worse

Thats not a bad idea, I might have a word with him about it. I know a fair few unemployed actors that could do with a job.

Theatre in the pub - a different social issue tackled every week. €10 on the door and a voucher for a free drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

laydeegaga your username brings back memories of the time my little sister stuck her finger in my eye and I was forced to wear a patch for a week.
    An upsetting situation I have experienced that you remind me of.
    Look - its just wrong ok. Change it.

• Advertisement

I'm sure whoever you spoke to laughed their arses off at the woman ringing to complain about a plastic skeleton, they'll tell everyone else who works there about you too, I know I would

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

laydeegaga banned - 1 month + infraction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

OP was merely expressing opinion on how offensive s/he found that diplay to be and wanted to know would anyone else agree.
    Everyone seemed to have a free for all on insulting his/her very valid opinion of feeling that the hanging skeleton display was unneccessary in light of the many people affected by suicide in Ireland every year.
    In particular LIMERICK has had the highest rate in the counry. Fact. Maybe still does.

There were comments like "its a bit of fun, get over it" but I dont see how anyone affected by a loved ones hanging would find this funny.
    Some were saying OP shouldnt FEEL anything at all as in not feel empathy for those affected because OP had not got anyone directly grieved by suicide.
    [Rough translation - do not give to charities helping those starving for food because we here in Ireland are all well fed.
    Get off the lifeboat, SWIM! (push) The upper class get off the Titanic FIRST! Im alright mate! Me first!]
    Its precisely this attitude that made society as deranged as it is
    - greed and the struggle for power has left very little compassion in the core of the human soul.
    It wont happen to me, sod everyone else kind of thing.

Many would be quite upset by it and I'd be interested to hear from anyone genuinely in this position to know their views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

Grow up FFS. I never cease to be amazed at how retarded some people are!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

In particular LIMERICK has had the highest rate in the counry. Fact.

I don't know is that correct. A quick google brings me this which says offaly has the highest.

Anyway, we're not debating suicide rate. We're talking about what is and isn't acceptable to be in the public view.

Where is the line and who decides it? Ultimately in this case it will be the bar, and maybe the customers if they get any more complaints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

MarkR wrote: »
    Lastly, it wasn't a body, it was a skeleton. So it was already dead.

Halloween is about celebrating the gruesome and macabre.

the dead are commiting suicide???????????:eek::eek::eek:

what happens if the dead do kill themselves???

i hate all this politically correct crap. no offence to anyone but if you get offended by seeing things kinda related to something that happened to a person you prob met once then you shouldnt leave the house.

its ridiculous that people complain for the sake of complaining. its one of the reasons christmas and the angeles being on tv is almost gone.

sorry to the OP but you did say these people where connected to you indirectly. like come on do you want to be protected from the world. how about moving to disneyland and spending the rest of your days there(tbh id actually love to move there myself:D)

my final thought. everyone............................ this pc crap is trippin:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

OP was merely expressing opinion on how offensive s/he found that diplay to be and wanted to know would anyone else agree.
    Everyone seemed to have a free for all on insulting his/her very valid opinion of feeling that the hanging skeleton display was unneccessary in light of the many people affected by suicide in Ireland every year.
    In particular LIMERICK has had the highest rate in the counry. Fact. Maybe still does.

There were comments like "its a bit of fun, get over it" but I dont see how anyone affected by a loved ones hanging would find this funny.
    Some were saying OP shouldnt FEEL anything at all as in not feel empathy for those affected because OP had not got anyone directly grieved by suicide.
    [Rough translation - do not give to charities helping those starving for food because we here in Ireland are all well fed.
    Get off the lifeboat, SWIM! (push) The upper class get off the Titanic FIRST! Im alright mate! Me first!]
    Its precisely this attitude that made society as deranged as it is
    - greed and the struggle for power has left very little compassion in the core of the human soul.
    It wont happen to me, sod everyone else kind of thing.

Many would be quite upset by it and I'd be interested to hear from anyone genuinely in this position to know their views.

What a silly post, nobody thinks you shouldn't feel empathy for someone who's lost someone to suicide.

What people here are arguing is that you shouldn't get offended on someones behalf. Being offended for someone you don't even know, who was in a situation you have never experienced is not empathy. It's stupidity.

It's PC bullsh1t, plain and simple. Stop censoring the world, it's bad enough with the censoring of TV, movies and books, without censoring real life too.

sorry to the OP but you did say these people where connected to you indirectly. like come on do you want to be protected from the world. how about moving to disneyland and spending the rest of your days there(tbh id actually love to move there myself)

Pirates of the Caribbean, you see pirates standing on a platform about to be hung on that too so that rules out Disneyland, not to mention most of Disneys movies are about young girls in some sort of distress, its a wonder anyone goes there at all

ok i think this is all BS biut how come laydeegaga was banned??

surely its not just for expressing her opinion whether or not people agree with it

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    Pirates of the Caribbean, you see pirates standing on a platform about to be hung on that too so that rules out Disneyland, not to mention most of Disneys movies are about young girls in some sort of distress, its a wonder anyone goes there at all

you got a good point. how about legoland would that be ok??:D

Advertisement