Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flannerys offensive Halloween decoration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This thread is going around in circles.
    Sorry if the OP is offended, but this is political correctness gone nuts.
    Its just a plastic skeleton on a rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

you know, maybe Flannerys did this on purpose? i'm definetly gonna head up there tomorrow to see what the fuss is about, and sure while i'm there might as well pop into have a drink...;)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Paulegend wrote: »
    ok i think this is all BS biut how come laydeegaga was banned??

surely its not just for expressing her opinion whether or not people agree with it

The post with the red card had a bit of name calling I think before it was edited. Couldn't even see what it was due to the *******'s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

ah i see that makes sense. lets string her up ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:eek:

oops im kidding bygones people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Opinion were asked for by the OP. When the OP didn't like the opinion being expressed she resorted to insults.

e.g. you sarcastic little *****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Arathorn wrote: »
    Your just being ridiculously over sensitive, its halloween.

Fixed that for you, ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Why did the skeleton go to Flannery's and hang itself?

Because it was depressed about having nobody to go with!

Banned :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

rearrange these words: teacup, a, in, storm. Correct answers on a postcard addressed to the crack of my ass. First prize: some pics of me. Second prize: some nudey pics of me.

Lads I think Laydeegaga has been pulling our legs - I have photographic evidence from Flannerys:D

3817812237_de8c605e7c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

laydeegaga wrote: »
    What I said was 'how would people like to visit a pub that displays images of an upsetting situation they have experienced'.

Hanging skeleton = reminder of a loved one who died by hanging.

I dont mean any offense to the OP but........
    Someone Could just as easily turn around and say how would people like to read posts on boards.ie from a user name Laydeegaga that would remind them of the Artist known
    as Lady Gaga which was the very artist that got up on stage at the MTV music awards and pretended to stab her-self to death with fake blood etc simulating suicide.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

spadder wrote: »
    I'd a friend who fell off a cliff while shaggin a sheep, everytime I see an Aran Jumper....

lol

I need to TALK to someone about how this issue has affected me???
    Eh hold on - you dont know the first thing about me!
    Do you think I went home bawling my eyes out?
    But maybe I WOULD have had I had someone close to me who died by hanging.

PMS:D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

ironic that somebody gets censored for saying something naughty/insulting on a thread where people are giving out about political correctness gone mad!

I have to agree with the OP on the point raised about the need to walk into a pub and see a skeleton hanging from a rope...and yes there is a direct correlation between a representation of a person (regardless of whether its a skeleton or a zombie) hanging from a rope and a person having commited suicide by hanging themselves...

I knew somebody that hung themselves and if I saw that in a pub it would pi@@ me off..

It is part of the charter across boards that personal insults are not tolerated. It is there for a reason - without it the place would descend into relentless back and forth petty name calling because some people are incapable of discussing an issue in a sensible manner which is imperative for a functional and informative discussion board.

The overwhelming sentiment expressed in this thread so far is that this skeleton thing is nothing more than political correctness gone haywire.

If every little fiddle faddle complaint was upheld across the country it would be like living in a dictatorship where freedom of expression and speech is not tolerated except that in this case it is supposedly done for the greater good. Which is what exactly? Where do you draw the line at trying to avoid offending people?

Ban Halloween altogether? I could find offense with almost everything if I wanted to.

This politically correct do gooder bull**** is ruining this country. Hopefully people will cop on to themselves and get a grip on reality before we end of like a second version of the U.K. where you cannot have "fairy lights" in case you offend gays, public images of pigs in case you offend Muslims and other ridiculous nonsense.

The sad thing about all of this is that most of the complaints come from neither Muslims or Gays or the minority groups in question but do-gooders acting before these groups get offended..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RonMexico wrote: »
    It is part of the charter across boards that personal insults are not tolerated. It is there for a reason - without it the place would descend into relentless back and forth petty name calling because some people are incapable of discussing an issue in a sensible manner which is imperative for a functional and informative discussion board.

The overwhelming sentiment expressed in this thread so far is that this skeleton thing is nothing more than political correctness gone haywire.

If every little fiddle faddle complaint was upheld across the country it would be like living in a dictatorship where freedom of expression and speech is not tolerated except that in this case it is supposedly done for the greater good. Which is what exactly? Where do you draw the line at trying to avoid offending people?

Ban Halloween altogether? I could find offense with almost everything if I wanted to.

This politically correct do gooder bull**** is ruining this country. Hopefully people will cop on to themselves and get a grip on reality before we end of like a second version of the U.K. where you cannot have "fairy lights" in case you offend gays, public images of pigs in case you offend Muslims and other ridiculous nonsense.

The sad thing about all of this is that most of the complaints come from neither Muslims or Gays or the minority groups in question but do-gooders acting before these groups get offended..:mad:

Now while I actually agree with what you have said in your post, and I do feel that the world is overly PC with the slightest thing being a reason to worry in case you offend someone.

I do feel the charter that you mentioned is being used in a convenient manner in this case.

Yes you are correct to say that it is in the charter that people cannot insult someone and that it is a banning offense according to the charter. In fact it is the first rule in the charter

(1) Do not insult other posters.

So going by the charter the poster who insulted another poster should have been banned.

But going by the same charter there is another rule that looks to have been broken in this thread.

(7) Making smart replies to threads started by people seeking information will result in a banning, If you cannot assist or make a suggestion, then don't reply.

Seems to me if one rule should be upheld, then so should the rest of the rules listed in the Limerick charter.

So while I disagree with the original poster, both for the insult and the reaction on here over the skeleton, it seems a bit harsh to be banned for one rule in the charter when another rule in the charter was broken by many others in the same thread.

This post is not a query about the actions of whichever mod handed out the banning, it is just a post that is saying that one cannot just use one part of the charter as a defence when another is also broken. Otherwise the charter is worthless.

Yes but the OP was seeking an opinion not information. There is a difference.

For example the thread where somebody is looking for recommendations for a GP or the thread asking for directions would be unsuitable for smart responses.

Asking an opinion on the other hand is a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

How do we know the skeleton committed suicide? Maybe it was executed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RonMexico wrote: »
    Yes but the OP was seeking an opinion not information. There is a difference.

For example the thread where somebody is looking for recommendations for a GP or the thread asking for directions would be unsuitable for smart responses.

Asking an opinion on the other hand is a different kettle of fish.

It could be argued that it comes down to semantics as to whether seeking the opinion of others on a subject is not the same as seeking information from others, but it is not a difference that I want to get into arguing to pros and cons of, as I am sure you have the same lack of interest in doing so also.

Also an arguement would be futile as I have agreed with pretty much all you said earlier, my only comment was on the use of the charter and how it related to others in the thread and not towards you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭dentalnurse

Silly, iv lost 3 friends to suicide and am i to get upset every time i see an oak tree or stairs or shed??? no, because then i would ruin my whole life. I dont know where she gets off telling people how she feels about it when she hasnt experienced it first hand, if she had she'd know that life goes on and daily things like that dont affect you. i wouldnt have thought anything of it as it is halloween ffs!!! Now in saying that, if i had lost a friend the day before or possibly the week before i would have noticed and thought about him/her but i wouldnt go as far as to take it up with management as again it is halloween! If say a family member died of a heart attack whilst hanging the christmas decorations should we sit around the table on christmas day like its any other day because of this?? like i say life goes on, suicide is a choice people make, remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Thanks Chatterpillar for your sincerity.

To all others - mocking is catching...
    you can "catch" suicide?!

OP, Have you asked the skeleton how he died? A lot of people were hung by others, its not a ritual solely belonging to suicide.

The OP is banned for a month for abusive posts, so she won't be able to respond.

why cant we all just get along:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

phew. they'll be back just in time to give out about the images of santa breaking into houses.

zuroph wrote: »
    phew. they'll be back just in time to give out about the images of santa breaking into houses.

dont get me started all my youth that fat feck was leaving toys all over my house

why cant we all just get along:D

Of course we can!! ;)

oh RonMexico:D love it

and dentalnirse are you obama??? Yes we can:D

oh RonMexico:D love it

and dentalnirse are you obama??? Yes we can:D