Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The direction of the Soccer forum

Options
  • 25-10-2009 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

It has been too long since we had one of these.

So first some quick background...

Yesterday I receive a PM informing me i'm banned from soccer for 7 days and i'm scratching my head thinking WTF did I do.

And it turns out this is the offending post in question.

Now i'm not here to argue the infraction(helpdesk blah blah blah), there are some stupid rules left over from GY and the reign of terror which is another days work.

The more important issue to be brought up here is why is a yellow card 7 days ban! :eek: This thread in soccer seems to be the answer. "abuse of players/personalities." Who decides what is abuse and who is a personality? In this case(for example)... Pat Dolan is fat, that's just a fact of life.

Some feedback for the mod team, hope that's ok since you ask for it in the thread and this is feedback etc.
    1. Why did you decide to introduce this rule?
    2. Was there an announcement or anything or just this sticky?
    3. Did we not learn anything from GY and that style of modding?

And for the moment soccer posters beware when posting anything that may offend anyone, you run the risk of a weeks ban.

Thanks for reading,
    Disgruntled poster.

Apologies to Pat Dolan.

Come on the Pool today! :cool:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A week's ban for that comment is excessive beyond reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

An File wrote: »
    A week's ban for that comment is excessive beyond reason.

The ban is not strictly because of the comment, the infraction is, and as Sherifu has pointed out there is now a policy of issuing an automatic ban in addition to all infractions.

You'll argue that is semantics, but it is an important distinction. Why? Because we have found that people are starting to disregard the forum charter, and we have found that personal warnings, public warnings on-thread, and infractions (yellow not red) were having less and less effect.
    A decision was taken that until further notice we would issue a ban with every infraction in the hope that people might start to moderate their own behaviour.

Sherifu is unfortunate that his post has earned him a ban when in the past it would have been an infraction (with the added effect that accumulated infractions can lead to a long term ban) but the decision is entirely consistent with the charter and with warnings posted on the forum.
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Now i'm not here to argue the infraction(helpdesk blah blah blah), there are some stupid rules left over from GY and the reign of terror which is another days work.

Comments like that are unhelpful, and I'm less inclined to respond to anybody's complaint when they choose to express themselves in such a manner.
    1. Why did you decide to introduce this rule?
    2. Was there an announcement or anything or just this sticky?
    3. Did we not learn anything from GY and that style of modding?
    1. Abuse of non-boards individuals has been punishable for over a year, and while in your case it is unlikely that anyone would take exception it is when such language is used to refer to people who posters feel attached to, say Alex Ferguson or Rafa Benitez, Wayne Rooney or Frank Lampard. If we relax the rule in your case we have people arguing that slurs like Sir Alco or referring to a player as a scumbag should not be actionable, even when they do prompt complaints from other users. My preference would be that all soccer users were capable of reading something like that and not take it as a personal insult, but that seems unlikely, and so we retain the rule.
    2. The rule is explained clearly in the forum charter, which was updated in August following extensive feedback from users. This post explains the rule pretty well, including reference to use of the word "fat" to describe people, and also specifically mentions Pat Dolan by name. The change to policy involving bans as well as infractions was the subject of the sticky you linked to.
    3. I will not dignify that with a response.
    And for the moment soccer posters beware when posting anything that may offend anyone, you run the risk of a weeks ban.

Posters should always be aware of the forum charter, and play close attention to announcements which we sticky. That way they avoid the risk of a ban.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is a whinge dressed up as feedback. You have your answers. Thread is over.

DeV

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement