Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's your Daddy!

Options
  • 25-10-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

So, as some of you know, we got a German Shepherd out of the CSPCA in Cork in August and in Sept she had 6 pups (not that they told us she was pregnant) anyway, as they are now just over 5 weeks i'm trying to work out who the daddy is - any thoughts?

These two links are to pictures of my pups (will try and get some more on)
    added photos as links not allowed

now i found these

http://www.newfiedog.com/images/champion-sired-puppies_600.jpg

http://www.newfiedog.com/images/champion-sired-puppies_600.jpg

so anyone think they maybe Newfoundland x Shephers ? the largest pup we have weighed in at 5kg on his 5th week birthday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I'd put money they are Newfoundland/Mastiff mixes, is your lady a long coat German Shep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

oh my god they are soo adorable :)
    i'd say lorebringer is right the look a bit newfoundland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

I'd put money they are Newfoundland/Mastiff mixes, is your lady a long coat German Shep?

she is indeed - well we think so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Gorgeous pups!!! German Shephards are v.chunky at this age so the father wouldn't necessarily have to be a large breed dog. If I were to hazard a guess I'd go down the collie or lab road!!! Regardless the combination, the results are too cute!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Daddy was most likely a collie, springer, retriever, lab, or mix of these.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but it's extremely unlike Daddy was a Newfie. They're just not that common. I've worked in rescue for about seven years now and many collie mix pups have that lovely chunky look at that age. In another few weeks they will look less chunky and Newfie-ish.

Edited to add: Your GSD is a beauty! Will you have her neutered once the pups are raised? I hope so ;-)

• Advertisement

we popped out with mum and uncle Tyson (box/lab) and two of the pups doen to the local maxizoo to give them all a weigh in, mum doing well up to 84lbs (was 69lbs when we got her out of the CSPCA) we took bulldozer 5.5kg or 12 lbs (biggest pup - boy) and flash 4.5kg 9.9 lbs (second smallest - girl)

any hew, on the way out with bulldozer in my arms, i bumped into a lady on her way in to get her dog food supply for her, you gussed it Newfoudlands, she couldn't believe it when she saw bulldozer, she was convinced he was full breed newfi :D also found that he has webbed paws - do many breed of dogs have that?

i'm thinkning of contactin CSI ;)

boomerang wrote: »
    Edited to add: Your GSD is a beauty! Will you have her neutered once the pups are raised? I hope so ;-)

we took Roxy out of the CSPCA ten pounds underweight on August 18th, she was in the vets on 22nd Aug (he said she was 10 pounds underweight) for her vaccinations, he suggested we wait till she put weight on before having her neutered, good job we did as she was 4-5 weeks pregnant at this time, 17th Sep she delivered the 6 pubs.

Once she is strong enough and the pups are weined we will of course have her neutered, I only went into the CSPCA to look for my OH's brothers Mini Jack Russel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Poor pet - pregnant and that underweight - god knows where she came from :( Glad she's found such a good home with you. :) Do you think you'll have any trouble finding good homes for the pups? Might be an idea to contact the Animal Care Society or Cork DAWG to see if they can help, if you don't have good homes waiting? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Those pups are adoreable :) I'd offer to take one if there was any space left in my bed, but if I get another dog I'll end up sleeping on the floor.

Could the father be a cocker spaniel?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Question (don't laugh) is it possible for a litter to have been fathered by more than one dog. They're gorgeous not matter what they are mixed with, I guess if you had to class them you'd have to just say mix breed seeing as they are lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Paul91 wrote: »

Get the Mammy on Maury! Hahaha!

Yes, guineapigrescue, its is possible to have a litter sired by two dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

she is indeed - well we think so

She's a doll (just saw you posted photos!). Pups look like Mastiff crosses in that case (Newf mixes are rare), or something with an aptly large head. Of course, dad could be a mix himself...

Guineapigrescue - a litter of pups can be fathered by more than one father, however generally, due to the great sperm race (joys of nature) this is not too likely. It's not uncommon for maybe one pup out of a litter to have a different father to the rest (after multiple matings) but most pups in a litter will have the same father. If the father is a mix breed, or mum for that matter, different combinations of genes could lead to pups in the same litter looking very differnt but with the same parents.

boomerang wrote: »
    Poor pet - pregnant and that underweight - god knows where she came from :( Glad she's found such a good home with you. :) Do you think you'll have any trouble finding good homes for the pups? Might be an idea to contact the Animal Care Society or Cork DAWG to see if they can help, if you don't have good homes waiting? ;)

she was handed in by someone who claimed "they didn't have the space in the back garden" hmmmm

I am in contact with DAWG (we where looking to get a GS from them at the time I found her) funnily enough had the home check the night before we took her out, lady in DAWG has been very helpful and willing to help, we think we have four homes at the moment (2 definate 2 to check) and i'm working on the OH to keep two susshhh :D

ghost_ie wrote: »
    Could the father be a cocker spaniel?

i think they are too big to be cocker spaniel - "Bulldozer" (heavist lad) wieghed in at 5.5kg at 5 weeks, we did think of spaniel though

She's a doll (just saw you posted photos!). Pups look like Mastiff crosses in that case (Newf mixes are rare), or something with an aptly large head. Of course, dad could be a mix himself...

was thinking Lab mix at one point, but again they are very big, funnily enough a Newfie Breeder in Cork had her Bitch mated on the 20th July - 8 and half weeks before the pups where born, is this coincidence? Cork CSI to investigate further. FYI I am not suggesting anyone bred these pups on purpose and then dumped them - just that there was a Newfie stud in the area at the time of impregnation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Hey if you really want to go down the CSI route there is a website that tests your mixed breed and tells you what breeds are in there make up ha ha!!!

http://dog-breeds.suite101.com/article.cfm/identify_mixed_breed_dogs_by_dna

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

any hew, on the way out with bulldozer in my arms, i bumped into a lady on her way in to get her dog food supply for her, you gussed it Newfoudlands, she couldn't believe it when she saw bulldozer, she was convinced he was full breed newfi :D also found that he has webbed paws - do many breed of dogs have that?

Webbed paws are found in leonberger breed , another breed that is quite large and 'chunky'!
    However they are usually a fawn colour with black mask so not sure if this would be the cross?
    Looking at the pics of the pups the are HUGE! Fair play to you :D Credit where credit is due!

Advertisement