Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footnotes, endnotes, in text - which ref is best?

Options
  • 25-10-2009 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm trying to figure out the best reference system to use. I have complete freedom about whether I use Harvard, Chicago etc.

I know from a reading perspective, I prefer when someone uses footnotes or in-text referencing as it's easier to note the reference, Having to turn to the end of the book/ article to check endnotes it far too time consuming.

From a writing perspective however, I find footnotes start clogging up pages and in-text referencing is a little cumbersome (and adds a mountain to the all important word count).

Does anyone here have any preferences, whether from a reading or writing perspective?

Edit: apologies if this topic has been done to death. I'd search ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

i personally prefer footnotes, and passionately hate in-text referencing, i can't keep my train of thought...endnotes drive me demented with the flicking back and forth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Writing I find footnotes easier to keep track of (and easier to spot when I'm over-referencing). Similar with reading other peoples' work. In-text citations are ok if the overall number of works cited is relatively small, but if you have a large number then it's a nightmare going to and fro and trying to keep track of who said what. My 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

I'm definitely leaning towards footnotes. It's a little repetitive typing out a full reference every time, but I think it's the most reader-friendly method. And as pow wow pointed out, it keeps over-referencing in check!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

You don't need to write them out every time if you use the right software.

blubloblu wrote: »
    You don't need to write them out every time if you use the right software.

I'm using Word 2003 - if there's a quicker way than copy and paste, I'd love to hear it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

RefWorks et al?

pow wow wrote: »
    RefWorks et al?

Ok, I am now convinced that this forum is inhabited by gods. I had never even heard of that kind of software before! I must find a free version to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

I used the flicking back and forth version I'm afraid, but really when you read through someone's PhD thesis, you're not going to be interested in every single citation and who wrote the original! I had a list of references at the end of each chapter rather than one long nasty one at the very end. I like footnotes for articles though.
    There are several different types of software for this; I used Reference Manager as a lecturer happened to have the disc, so ask around other postgrads and supervisors, someone's bound to have one.
    I'm sure they're all pretty much the same but in essence you assemble a database of your articles, books etc by selecting type of reference and filling in fields with details of author, date, publisher or whatever. You then have a toolbar in Word, and in your text you "insert citation" and select the reference you want to cite. You get a number or name, date in your text (you can select whichever format you like, with or without brackets etc) and a list at the end. It's great for when you rearrange text or insert an extra bit - the list updates automatically and the renumbering is done for you.
    All goes towards saving the sanity of a postgrad, every little helps!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 261 ✭✭blucey

pow wow wrote: »
    RefWorks et al?

end note.....

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

In UCD, for example, there is a site licence for Endnote and probably in other places too. Use some tool, it cuts the work and ensures that consistency. As for the style there are conventions in different disciplines, so look at major journals and only in your discipline and take your cue from them.

Endnote is not only great for a PhD but is very handy if you want you pull papers out of it as the journals, books etc all require different citation styles and this can be achieved by one click.

• Advertisement

Just got my hands on RefWorks. Life is going to be so much easier now!

Thanks for all the help! :)

Advertisement