Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's a sock photo?

• 25-10-2009 3:37pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Following on from a suggestion on the Pay it Forward thread re a photo of mine being made a "stock photo" I realise I don't know what this is and how one goes about making a pic a stock photo. When it is made in to stock photo what happens then and what are the positive and negatives?

I was gonna PM about this but thought that there might be others like me that haven't a scooby but would be interested to know what the process entails and the resulting effects.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

sock-blue-sm.jpg
    ?

my understanding of a stock photo, is a photo somebody else can use in their work

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

AAAaaaaarrrgh!!!!!
    Well I'm leaving it as is now because I may get some info on Stock photos and how to do it and also some interesting and beautiful photos of socks. It's a win win thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Ghosttrain beat me to it :D

I believe you have to submit a photo to a stock photo agency and you get paid royalties base on the number of use of said photo. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ah i hate it, I typed a lovely reply and screen froze, anyway a stock photo is a shot you upload to a stoch photography website, this site in turn hosts your image for potential clients to view and sells the image for you taking a percentage, others you may pay a monthly fee.

You could have hundreds of shots and sell none but have one and sell hundreds. I read of someone selling a shot that ended up being the intro to a blockbuster movie.

Ah right, that makes sense. I always wondered at how this worked. Would anyone have any links to established and well thought of sites?

Photos of socks still welcome btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Istockphoto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

getty images is one of the biggest sites for stock photography: http://www.gettyimages.com/

another good idea is to look at magazines that use the kind of stock that you're thinking of shooting and see where they get their images from :)

i've never tried shooting stock, i'm still learning a lot about photography, but it might be an idea for the future to earn a little extra cash.

wikipedia has a little article on it that might give you a better idea of what it's about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_photography

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah right, that makes sense. I always wondered at how this worked. Would anyone have any links to established and well thought of sites?

Photos of socks still welcome btw.

We had this thread just last week;) (I only noticed it because I wonder if I should/could give it a try myself)

And in one of the replies http://infostockphoto.com/by-rating.html was mentioned for comparison.

Sorry, don't have s sock photo at the moment:cool:

Nice one .Now I've just gotta figure out how big 4.0MP is and how to do it through Picasa.
    It's a bit of a headache as I kinda just like taking pics and after that I lose nearly all interest. I need an assistant, a P.A...a personal geek perhaps...or just try start figuring things out.

But if like me and you're not really doing anything with pics and aren't fussy what comes of them then these sites would appear to make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

I know nothing about stock photos but I hope this helps :)

E590CF158D3645DE8D8D33E1A9FBF9FC-240.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

katiemaloe wrote: »
    I know nothing about stock photos but I hope this helps :)

God, you're very well coordinated! Your wellies match your socks :)

Advertisement