Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motion of no confidence

Options
  • 25-10-2009 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Did people hear that UCDSU are putting a motion of no confidence to Kim Foy. But due to new information coming to light the motion has being dropped.

I dont know what the information is but i know it has something to do with Paddy. There is no excuse for the fact he is not doing his job and its known in the exec. Worst still when he tries to do something he messes it up for people.

I believe a motion of no confidence should be called on Paddy Ryan, sadly im not a class rep and will not be able to do this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I have no idea who Kim Foy or Paddy Ryan are. I've an idea that I won't care when I find out either.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I have no idea who Kim Foy or Paddy Ryan are. I've an idea that I won't care when I find out either.

This guy knows things.

TDOie wrote: »
    This guy knows things.

He is, after all, a Belfield insider ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

WeeBushy wrote: »
    He is, after all, a Belfield insider ;)

With a username like that, how could we ignore all this prime gossip?!

Notorious wrote: »
    With a username like that, how could we ignore all this prime gossip?!

Someone as to try to replace The Hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Belfield insider would you like to disclose any information regarding either party?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

convert wrote: »

Yep, I was right. I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

I also heard about this. Can't believe Paddy Ryan is behind a motion of 'no confidence'. What has he been up to?

There's been no advertisements (posters around campus, mentions on the ucd site) for any of the protests USI & UCDSU have been organising.
    http://www.irishpressreleases.ie/2009/10/23/usi-hold-demonstration-in-opposition-to-the-registration-fee/

The only advertising of the Wicklow protest was a note on facebook at 10:53pm, the night before the event itself - http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=160068345769&ref=mf

Then when f.uck all people show up it's USI who get the blame for the incompetence of CO's. There's a poor turnout for protests like this - http://www.indymedia.ie/article/94017 - then the likes of Trinity News publish an article entitled "Dozy USI campaign ignored"

Every year we get manifestoes about 'making the union more visible', a policy which equates to nothing more than bulk buying ucdsu hoodies for hacks. To paraphrase Shakepeare - a hack in a hoodie is still a hack.

gobsh1tes, the lot of 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

who-cares.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hmmmm 1 post.... I call shenanigans:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Drama in the SU!?

Oh noes, but now who'll do nothing for students other than kick up the registration fees to pay for a white elephant nobody wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Yeh I've been in UCD nearly 4 years now

Uses of SU = nearly zero

The one time i did approach them, they ignored my issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

To most, the SU is a hackfest, which does little or nothing to help students.

This assessment is not too far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Het-Field wrote: »
    To most, the SU is a hackfest, which does little or nothing to help students.

This assessment is not too far from the truth.

Its like every union, everyone is a member, your ****ed if you know what they are doing with your money and you have to give alot of head to get to the top :P

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

To all those who don't think the union does anything, while sat on the nice new sofas in arts, or perhaps studying in the library til 11pm, or when listening to your younger siblings say how much they are looking forward to college safe in the knowledge that USI stuck it to the Green Party enough to defeat fees, just as they did in 2003, and when that grant of yours comes through, and when arguing with the Tierney building you realise, "Holy ****! I've got some rights on this campus that I can stick to these people!" and when you're fukd financially and UCDSU suddenly comes to the rescue, maybe you should stop giving out.

The Union doesn't spend most of its resources on singing about its success in every meeting. And if it did, you'd be the first to complain.

But, of course, people actually doing degrees don't go giving out about the union on boards.ie, because people actually out for degrees aren't that cool.

Aside from that I'm sorry the head hasn't been handed out in an egalitarian manner but I suppose that's just rampant capitalism for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

or when listening to your younger siblings say how much they are looking forward to college safe in the knowledge that USI stuck it to the Green Party enough to defeat fees, just as they did in 2003,

Yay, those 6 people who took a day off college to hold a banner by the lake last year stopped the fees, and now we all have plenty of cash to piss away in the student bar while the university gets zero funding. Thank you Green party, for your courageous and noble act, that wasn't about appeasing the middle class and saving your own necks when everybody ****ing hates you.

To all those who don't think the union does anything, while sat on the nice new sofas in arts, or perhaps studying in the library til 11pm, or when listening to your younger siblings say how much they are looking forward to college safe in the knowledge that USI stuck it to the Green Party enough to defeat fees, just as they did in 2003, and when that grant of yours comes through, and when arguing with the Tierney building you realise, "Holy ****! I've got some rights on this campus that I can stick to these people!" and when you're fukd financially and UCDSU suddenly comes to the rescue, maybe you should stop giving out.

So the achievements of the SU are: a few sofas, an extra hour to study, helping to bankrupt the governemt by keeping free fees, and sticking it to the man... They must be so proud of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

Who cares about the Union supporting Brady on introducing health service charges when we have sofas and fatman scoop. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

2955_1088697932307_1072217597_30279483_1026232_n.jpg

I know neither of these people. I love the internet.

• Advertisement

My eyes!! Where was the NSFW tag!

lebowskilite fyi I have been involved in the union and I still have friends in the union, Id count Paddy a friend also. I wasnt bitching about the Students Union, I dislike all Unions by definition dont even get me started on SIPTU. The point is the Union in UCD is largely powerless to affect any real change in UCD. It is payed lip service by Brady and everyone knows that UCD undergrads are there to bring in some cash while HB really gives a toss about the research aspect to UCD and teh big juicy grants it brings in. Anyway this is off topic

I think what most people in this thread and in UCD would say. Who the fcuk are Kim and Paddy and why should anyone care that there is a vote of no confidence in a position that no one really gives a toss about anyway. (proved by the voter turnouts in class rep and sabat elections) and for those who say the Union throws great parties and they are always well attended. If NAzisoc were putting on a drinks promotion in D2 im pretty sure it would be packed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

You do know that FF only went with the Greens on that one because they're scared out of their balls of a general election. And that the Greens are crippled and need to tarry the support of their loyal middle-class electorate => No fees... for now! Wait until:
    Fine Gael;
    Fine Gael-Labour Coalition;
    IMF intervention.
    Fees will come back, because we're fucked financially in this country, we're more fucked than we were in the 1950s, it really is a case of not 'if' but 'when'. Anyway, that's beside the point, the UCDSU didn't (I must stress that didn't) stop the reintroduction of fees. The other stuff, well we're giving ye enough money in our registration fees, how much does a couch cost these days?;)
    The Union doesn't spend most of its resources on singing about its success in every meeting. And if it did, you'd be the first to complain.

No, I don't suppose it does, but there's plenty of gullible fools to that for it anyway.
    But, of course, people actually doing degrees don't go giving out about the union on boards.ie, because people actually out for degrees aren't that cool.

What a ridiculous argument to make, I've never heard something so absurd in my life. Seriously, that actually is a stupid statement to make, so by us complaining about the union we're just little trolls that have nothing better to do? That level of argument is shockingly poor so it is.
    Aside from that I'm sorry the head hasn't been handed out in an egalitarian manner but I suppose that's just rampant capitalism for ya!

What head? What the hell are you talking about? Again, alluding to the fact that some posters here are critical of the union and said posters are essentially posting less valid criticisms is such a manner is pretty stupid. This is the kind of shite that alienates students from the union, because it's always a dicothomy, "you're either with us or against us" kind of shit. Seriously, this 'union' is just like every other fecking union in this God forsaken country; nepotism and cronyism personified!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

It reminds me of my friends argument to why America is the greatest
    "Sure you have to pay for your health and education but where else in the world can you get a double cheeseburger for $1?"

You've only had one year's (or less) involvement in the union haven't you?

ran into a sabat officer tonight and mentioned this thread and laughed when I mentioned the gist of lebowskilite post. Seems only low level unionites take it so seriously, sabats seem down to earth

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lebowskilite

El Siglo wrote: »
    You do know that FF only went with the Greens on that one because they're scared out of their balls of a general election. And that the Greens are crippled and need to tarry the support of their loyal middle-class electorate => No fees... for now! Wait until:
    Fine Gael;
    Fine Gael-Labour Coalition;
    IMF intervention.
    Fees will come back, because we're fucked financially in this country, we're more fucked than we were in the 1950s, it really is a case of not 'if' but 'when'. Anyway, that's beside the point, the UCDSU didn't (I must stress that didn't) stop the reintroduction of fees. The other stuff, well we're giving ye enough money in our registration fees, how much does a couch cost these days?

Yeh, the strategy that UCD spearheaded last year of targeting the greens didn't pull off at all. I remember fees being well on the agenda beforehand. Sure, wasn't it constantly making frontpage news.

Oh ****, wait a second, it was only on the agenda because of the SU campaigns! Newsflash, the population doesn't like students!

No, I don't suppose it does, but there's plenty of gullible fools to that for it anyway.

"What a ridiculous argument to make, I've never heard something so absurd in my life. Seriously, that actually is a stupid statement to make, so by us complaining about the union we're just little trolls that have nothing better to do? That level of argument is shockingly poor so it is." :D:D
    What a ridiculous argument to make, I've never heard something so absurd in my life. Seriously, that actually is a stupid statement to make, so by us complaining about the union we're just little trolls that have nothing better to do? That level of argument is shockingly poor so it is.
    What head? What the hell are you talking about? Again, alluding to the fact that some posters here are critical of the union and said posters are essentially posting less valid criticisms is such a manner is pretty stupid.

Erm, get a sense of humour? Giving head to get to the top was mentioned, which was hardly valid, and rather than being a complete sap about it, I made a lickle jokie. Sorry I demeaned your "side" of the argument.
    This is the kind of shite that alienates students from the union, because it's always a dicothomy, "you're either with us or against us" kind of shit. Seriously, this 'union' is just like every other fecking union in this God forsaken country; nepotism and cronyism personified!

I respond with a defence of the union, and therefore I'm attacking you, labelling you as some kind of enemy? I don't see the causal relationship there.

My point was that the SU does a whole lot for students behind the scenes. If you don't think it does enough then here's the killer counter-argument: It's a democratic organisation, so get involved!

To say its cronyist is kinda odd. Anyone can get involved, and no one is shunned if they show an interest. Its true that to get elected to a sabbat position ppl will willingly be social whores for an entire year, and thus it'll seem like cronyism when they get elected. The fact is in those cases they got elected because they made a lot of friends who campaigned for them. That isn't cronyism, it's democracy, and every democratic institution has that feature.

Someone also mentioned class parties. Note that I never mentioned class parties, and never defended the union on those grounds. :)

Also the concentration on research was mentioned. I completely agree that UCD concentrates on research, using undergrads for status and non-research masters students for income. I hardly see how this is a reflection on the union, though.

You may have seen an email from Martin Butler today about the return of the no. 10 bus to campus. In it he mentions it was a 3-way negotiation. In reality, the SU were the only party interested in bringing it back to campus, and they did. Is there a poster telling ppl it's back? No.

So all I'm saying is, the union does do a lot, and people often write it off simply because it's an easy target. It's much easier to burn a house down than to build one, and if you think the union is shite, you should probably bring that up at council, or in a referendum, or with a sabbat, or with your rep, etc.
    Chances are you won't make a massive difference, but that's not the fault of the union, that's the balance of power in ucd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mick27

tbh Paddy doesn't seem to be doing the best of all jobs,

the newman games, road safety week etc have all flopped.

he's taking credit for other people's work and and is getting along that way.

I don't think that that is acceptable for someone who is earning €400 a week plus expenses of students money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Colin1986

Browney7 wrote: »
    Hmmmm 1 post.... I call shenanigans:pac::pac:

I love the way that no matter what anyone says as a first post on here, they get accused as of trolling! You've absolutely nothing to go on there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Word on the street - motion of no confidence is to free up the job so a potential presidential candidate has a better platform. Which it very possibly is, explains the early in the year nature of it especially when there wasn't an effort to give the officer a few mandates before the no confidence motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

That must be the funniest post I have ever read. In fact, it almost makes the embittered ramblings of the OP (we know who it is) look somewhat relevant.

The SU movement had little or nothing to do with the decision to roll back on fees. It is simply off the table for the time being. It was a sweetner for the Green Party. A similar thing occured when the PDs went on the offesnive against Dempsey in 2002. I have several posters and cards which were created by the YPDs around the time, along with quotes from Mary Harney who was in Enterprise Trade and Employment at the time. She stated that fees would be re-introduced "over her dead body". This quote was used, and the PDs ended any chance Dempsey had. CFE, FEE, USI etc can all beat the drum about winning the war on fees, however, public pressure was not what has caused the issue to be shelved.

UCDSU rarely, if ever articulates "rights". When active, many of the protests were attended by the internal activists, while the other 21,900 students went along their merry way.

The Unions have also been seeking to centralise the grants mechanism for years. When speaking to various USI presidents, they articulated the negligible cost for such a service. There have been protests, there have been represenations made to the HEA, and HETAC. They have never listened, and almost four years on from my last grants protest, the system is not reformed, nor will it be for the forseeable future.

Your younger sister should not "sleep safe in the knowledge" that she is on her way to enjoying a "free" third level education. Once the matter has died down, it will be back on the agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

Tierney building you realise, "Holy ****! I've got some rights on this campus that I can stick to these people!" and when you're fukd financially and UCDSU suddenly comes to the rescue, maybe you should stop giving out.

Why would anyone want to "stick it" to admin? They're just doing their jobs, they're not out to get us. They are overworked and understaffed, have some respect. Get a job to make money and work hard in college to pass your exams like most people- no need to stick it to anyone or milk any systems.

In my experience, most people who get very involved in the SU either drop out and do an easier degree or fail their exams. Both the last two science pros (for example) are very, very behind in college, having acheived nothing for students in the meantime. People like that are one of the main arguments FOR the reintroduction of fees- it is not worth thousands of euro to the taxpayer for these dim witted slackers to scrape through college on extenuating circumstances, arts electives and sob stories. I'm not for fees, but I can see why people would be.

What?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement